Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Church
Donate! Join Today

Church A place for the people who want to talk about the area of Church.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-09-2009, 18:10   #1
Senior Member+

Tanpit's Club

Does anyone remember a couple of member there in the early '60s - Freddie Ireland and my father Joe Yates. They were regulars there.
Accrington Web
Old 14-09-2009, 18:16   #2
Member.

Re: Tanpit's Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Does anyone remember a couple of member there in the early '60s - Freddie Ireland and my father Joe Yates. They were regulars there.
No; I'm far to young Barrie...... But my Mum and Dad use to go in late 50s and early 60s. Margaret & Alan Douglas. Tommy Douglas my granddad may also have been a member.... Ring any Bells; they all lived up Church.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2009, 20:50   #3
Senior Member+

It used to be my father's local.......Freddie Martin but I was too young to go in during the early sixties. We could be related, Barrie as my Nana was a Yates from Church.

So much muck to eat before you die
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2009, 21:28   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by junetta View Post
It used to be my father's local.......Freddie Martin but I was too young to go in during the early sixties. We could be related, Barrie as my Nana was a Yates from Church.
What was her name first name Junetta. I was about in the sixties and knew several Yates families?

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2009, 21:40   #5
God Member

Quote:
Well before my time Barrie
Old 14-09-2009, 21:46   #6
Senior Member+

Her maiden name was Sarah Yates but she became Hamer after her marriage. She was brought up on Steiner's View and moved to Lion Street. I've done quite a bit of the Yates' Family History..........loads of them and they were either miners or weavers.

Old 15-09-2009, 05:40   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:
Her maiden name was Sarah Yates but she became Hamer after her marriage. She was brought up on Steiner's View and moved to Lion Street. I've done quite a bit of the Yates' Family History..........loads of them and they were either miners or weavers.
We moved to Church from Lonsdale St in '57 - My Mother took the confectioner's shop on Maden St facing the clock and Stag. I am not aware of any relatives but believe that my Dad originally came from Ossy - possibly top end as Emmanuel was his church
Old 15-09-2009, 09:20   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
We moved to Church from Lonsdale St in '57 - My Mother took the confectioner's shop on Maden St facing the clock and Stag. I am not aware of any relatives but believe that my Dad originally came from Ossy - possibly top end as Emmanuel was his church
so does that make ya one of the "Yates" that had the shop just down from stag past the bookies Barrie? used it regular i 70s when i lived on lion st, top shop.
Old 15-09-2009, 09:44   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
so does that make ya one of the "Yates" that had the shop just down from stag past the bookies Barrie? used it regular i 70s when i lived on lion st, top shop.
I think the one you are referring to was on Henry St. There was a Butchers nect door to us and another butchers across York St, facing the Police Sation. The clock tower stood right in front of our shop
Old 15-09-2009, 10:02   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
My Father was born in Ossy, his Mothers maiden name was Cronshaw, no idea of Gfathers name or occupation.
Dad was an engineer (toolmaker). he went on to be Foreman ib the Ring room at H & B (that was '50s) and then moved to Tool Room as foreman and later Superintendant(?) when ? Crawshaw retired.
He was too young for the Pal's Battalion but was wounded at the 2nd Battle of the Somme.
Old 15-09-2009, 10:23   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
I think the one you are referring to was on Henry St. There was a Butchers nect door to us and another butchers across York St, facing the Police Sation. The clock tower stood right in front of our shop
yeh mate but that was also "Yates"
Old 15-09-2009, 11:43   #12
Senior Member+

We finally left there in Feb '65 when i came back from a 12 month tour in Borneo and got posted to RAF Neatishead (Norwich). My Mother moved soon afterwards - Dad had died in July '63, in the Commercial Pub, in the company of Freddie Ireland.
Old 15-09-2009, 20:07   #13

junetta quotes a name freddie martin rings a bell that the one I knew was a long distance lorry driver working along with billy crossley dennis sandyford out of rishton paper mill for thomas gilmartins which was part of the gilbraith transport empire
keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2009, 20:45   #14
Senior Member+

You got him Keith, he was a long distance lorry driver. I remember him working for Woodwards along Higher Antley Street, I think it was. I used to have to collect his wages when I was just eight. Such a responsibility when I think of it now.

Old 16-09-2009, 14:26   #15
Senior Member+

my step dad worked for woodwards for many years. joe love
they laughingly called him bungalow joe..
cause he had nowt upstairs

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..