Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Church
Donate! Join Today

Church A place for the people who want to talk about the area of Church.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-11-2004, 11:53   #16
Resident Waffler

Re: The Graveyard Shift

I don't know much about WWI when it comes to the navy but I have seen memorials dedicated to the 1914-19 war as opposed to 1914-18.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-11-2004, 12:03   #17

I can't access his Navy Records as they are only in Micofilm. But look at this web site:

http://www.cwgc.org/cwgcinternet/cer...asualty=375602

Commonwealth War Graves Commission web site.
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2004, 12:05   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
I don't know much about WWI when it comes to the navy but I have seen memorials dedicated to the 1914-19 war as opposed to 1914-18.
Action was carried out up to 1919 in NW Russia...Murmansk to be exact, supporting the White Russians against the Bolsheviks! (something similar to HBC)
Old 22-11-2004, 12:12   #19
Resident Waffler

Have you seen this bit?

http://www.cwgc.org/cwgcinternet/cas...asualty=375602

Old 22-11-2004, 12:49   #20
mez
God Member

just had a nosey through a couple of navel sites, & the h.m.s. bacchante was part of the 9th cruiser squadren in north west africal 1917 till it was sold for scrap in 1920. the later editionn of the bacchante was sold to new zealand & renamed wellington its now out of commision, there have been a few ships of that name .
Old 22-11-2004, 14:15   #21

Quote:
Yes I have Willow, its on that site in 2 different formats. But I still can't get any deeper into RN records for 1907-1923.

mez
Quote:
just had a nosey through a couple of navel sites, & the h.m.s. bacchante was part of the 9th cruiser squadren in north west africal 1917 till it was sold for scrap in 1920. the later editionn of the bacchante was sold to new zealand & renamed wellington its now out of commision, there have been a few ships of that name .
So it's quite likely that he could of died through disease. W. Africa was known as the sailors graveyard due to Yellow fever and Dengue fever. Poor lad!
Old 22-11-2004, 16:08   #22
Member.

No closer to finding any more information about the man, but I thought you might be interested in this shot of the late Able Seaman Eastwoods Ship. H.M.S. Bacchante c. 1914-1920.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -

Last edited by Doug; 22-11-2004 at 16:43.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2004, 16:25   #23
land of hope and glory

interested in ships have a gander at this its THE LANCASHIRE WITCH,passenger ship of 1863 who took a load of lucky sods to new zealand.http://www.rootsweb.com/~nzlscant/lancashire_witch.htm
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2004, 16:39   #24
Member.

[QUOTE=staggeringman]interested in ships have a gander at this its THE LANCASHIRE WITCH, passenger ship of 1863 who took a load of lucky sods to new zealand.

I your right their Staggeringman, regretably I know a few b****rs that should have been on it, but missed it. lol.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2004, 11:20   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by staggeringman
interested in ships have a gander at this its THE LANCASHIRE WITCH,passenger ship of 1863 who took a load of lucky sods to new zealand.http://www.rootsweb.com/~nzlscant/lancashire_witch.htm
Dammed interesting Staggeringman.....it would make a great novel or even a film. Lots of follow-on history as well.

Great stuff! :engsmil: :engsmil:
Old 23-11-2004, 15:21   #26
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darby
Yes I have Willow, its on that site in 2 different formats. But I still can't get any deeper into RN records for 1907-1923.
I was mainly referring to the bit where it describes him as "Commonwealth War Dead"

Old 25-11-2004, 07:06   #27

Quote:
I was mainly referring to the bit where it describes him as "Commonwealth War Dead"
I think the title "Commonwealth War Dead" originally was used as a catch-all term so that those that died whilst serving could be buried properly. It was also used to emcompass any other serviceman who died whilst serving in what are described as "minor incidents" between the wars, and after WWII.

The Commonwealth War Graves Commission looks after all graves of those who were buried under that scheme, and I'm not sure if laying down a gravestone (without expressed approval) is against their rules!

Maybe a heads-up to them would result in the re-erection of the gravestone in Church Kirk!! That would set the cat amongst the pigeons!!
Old 29-11-2004, 14:14   #28
Resting in peace

Sadly there are all too many who don't have graves, particularly from WW1. Due to the spread out nature of my mother's family (my granny could run fast when she wasn't pregnant!), I had an uncle, Thomas, who died in 1917 (my mother was born in 1913). There is one anomaly - my uncle was Thomas Pendergast, and there were TWO Thomas Pendergasts who died of wounds around that time. So far as I know, there were very few Pendergasts in Accrington, I thought we were the only ones. I would love to know which was which.
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2004, 14:34   #29
Resident Waffler

This might not make much sense because I'm quite woolly today. I think I'm coming down with something. I can't think straight and it's definitely taking me far too long to type a basically simple post.

However, I'll give it a shot.

These two Thomas Pendergasts, are they on the website? Have you checked there for parents names? Your one will be the one with your grandparents as his parents. Or is that too obvious and you've already tried and no parents listed?

Old 29-11-2004, 14:40   #30
Resting in peace

I got that info from a friend who is involved with the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. Andrew Jackson put Uncle Tom onto his website, but I am not sure if he has the Army number. I just wondered who the other one was ....

I will check Andrew's site, and see if I can come up with a definite.

If you're coming down with something - Whisky, hot water, a squeeze of lemon, three cloves, and a teaspoon of honey - it may not cure you, but it tastes good!
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..