Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Church
Donate! Join Today

Church A place for the people who want to talk about the area of Church.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2006, 14:42   #1

The Holy City

Hi, What on earth has happened to Church.I used to live there with my family in the early 60s. What a thriving place it was. No need to go to Accrington or Blackburn shopping, everything was there.What's there now? Nothing, nothing nothing.Oh, a children's play area up the Lane. Where's the Library? Gone, like everything else. I live in Ossy now and have done for 40 odd years. There a bit more there, but not much. Plenty of take a ways. For the rate payers of Church and Ossy we're are not getting value for money. Where is it all going?? Tess
thindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-03-2006, 16:20   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: The Holy City

Quote:
Originally Posted by thindle
Hi, What on earth has happened to Church.I used to live there with my family in the early 60s. What a thriving place it was. No need to go to Accrington or Blackburn shopping, everything was there.What's there now? Nothing, nothing nothing.Oh, a children's play area up the Lane. Where's the Library? Gone, like everything else. I live in Ossy now and have done for 40 odd years. There a bit more there, but not much. Plenty of take a ways. For the rate payers of Church and Ossy we're are not getting value for money. Where is it all going?? Tess
I live in Ossy too, so does the little Prince Regent of HBC.

I think people in other parts of Hyndburn would disagree, and say that because PB lives here we get relatively better value for money.

I do agree though, even in my lifetime Church has changed beyond all recognition.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 16:26   #3
Resident Waffler

I used to work there when it was a bustling hive of activity. I think it started to decline after Rothwell's closed. There was a superb bakers on Blackburn Rd where we used to get butties at dinner time. Loved the smell of freshly baked muffins.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 13:18   #4
Resting in peace

You can still get some of the best meat pies in Lancashire at Yates's on Henry Street - an old-fashioned family business. And June's greengrocers on the corner is great - a tiny shop, but a really good range of stuff. There's some pub there as well, the name escapes me .....
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..