Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Church
Donate! Join Today

Church A place for the people who want to talk about the area of Church.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2008, 20:17   #1
God Member

Thorn Inn - Church - Regulars 1950s to 1975 ish

Did anyone's Parents or (Ouch this hurts) Grandparents frequent the Thorn during the reign of George Tomlinson 1950s or later until 1975?

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-05-2008, 17:23   #2
God Member

Re: Thorn Inn - Church - Regulars 1950s to 1975 ish

Too early for me. First time drank there was '72, an old boy called Joe was the landlord. You could always get a decent pint of Thwaites in there; these days, there is nowhere in Church to get a pint of real ale.

There was another old boy called George who was the landlord of the X Guns until the mid-70's.....I can't remember his surname, but he did have a metal plate in his head which used to pulsate when he got excited. You're not confusing the Guns and the Thorn, are you?

Last edited by Tealeaf; 17-05-2008 at 17:26.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2008, 18:12   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Too early for me. First time drank there was '72, an old boy called Joe was the landlord. You could always get a decent pint of Thwaites in there; these days, there is nowhere in Church to get a pint of real ale.

There was another old boy called George who was the landlord of the X Guns until the mid-70's.....I can't remember his surname, but he did have a metal plate in his head which used to pulsate when he got excited. You're not confusing the Guns and the Thorn, are you?
No the Landlord of the Thorn was George Tomlinson in the middle fifties.
We used to use the church gates as football posts....all the relations of my friends used the Thorn...it was more popular than the Cross Guns.
I don't remember Joe...........In 1972 I was abroad.

Old 17-05-2008, 18:23   #4
Full Member+

Saints and Sinners Bingo Champion!
Bezerk Champion!

I used to visit both the Thorn and Cross Guns about 64 but no idea of the landlords name of any of them.
MITZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2008, 15:42   #5
Member.

All I can give you is some names of locals that used the Thorn in the 50s & early 60s. They are.....Joe Birtwistle with sons George and Billy. Tommy Douglas and son Alan and Archi Woodcock and son Brian. They would have also used the x Guns and later the Commercial.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2008, 16:45   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
All I can give you is some names of locals that used the Thorn in the 50s & early 60s. They are.....Joe Birtwistle with sons George and Billy. Tommy Douglas and son Alan and Archi Woodcock and son Brian. They would have also used the x Guns and later the Commercial.
The Birtwistles I didn't know....Alan Douglas (That's your dad?) I thought the name rang a bell but I can't bring him to mind. Brian Woodcock yes I did know.
Some of the older end who drank there then..........Ralph Thornley from the farm just over Church Kirk Bridge......Walter Henderson (My stepfather) from Park Farm...........Wilf Warren......Walt Clegg.
The younger ones would be...Jean Norris.........Stella Finch.....Norman Sumner....Brian Yates......Derek Bamber.....Kieth Mc Kenna.
The minds gone a blank.

Old 18-05-2008, 20:38   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

like Doug can only give you a name of a guy who's local was the thorn in that period n later Bill Edwards, lived on St. James Rd. was me gaffer until his retirement a top guy,one of the best, i used to call in fer a pint with him, but that would be after you were abroad.
Old 18-05-2008, 20:54   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
like Doug can only give you a name of a guy who's local was the thorn in that period n later Bill Edwards, lived on St. James Rd. was me gaffer until his retirement a top guy,one of the best, i used to call in fer a pint with him, but that would be after you were abroad.
Sorry Cashy didn't know him...the ones I knew on St James Road were Ken Young...lived oppsite the church wall leading down to the poultry farm....
who later had a shop with his German wife opposite Wrists wires and then took the Royal Duke in Blackburn........His nickname was 'Farmer'............A man called Wilson who lived at the big house at the end on the right just before you go over the bridge........he was supposed to be an inventor of some kind......Jennie Yates who was the mother of my friend Brian and his sister Jenita.

Old 20-05-2008, 22:43   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

there was a Brian Yates grew up on Maudsley St, royboy wouldn't be the same, was a fair bit older n me?
Old 07-06-2009, 20:47   #10
Senior Member+

I used to go in there with my Dad, from around the summer of '57 after watching cricket at West End (Polly Umrigar, Chester Watson). I understood that the landlord at that time was the son of the previous landlord - sorry but can't remember names. He did take me into the cellar to see the stream flowing through it which was utilised to cool the beer during the summer months.
Old 22-08-2011, 02:56   #11
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
The Birtwistles I didn't know....Alan Douglas (That's your dad?) I thought the name rang a bell but I can't bring him to mind. Brian Woodcock yes I did know.
Some of the older end who drank there then..........Ralph Thornley from the farm just over Church Kirk Bridge......Walter Henderson (My stepfather) from Park Farm...........Wilf Warren......Walt Clegg.
The younger ones would be...Jean Norris.........Stella Finch.....Norman Sumner....Brian Yates......Derek Bamber.....Kieth Mc Kenna.
The minds gone a blank.
Just joined Acc web. I was a regular in the Thorn in the early sixties. I remember most of the names you mention. You are right about Gearge Tomlinson being landlord. I also remember playing footy at the church gates (and anywhere else we could find) Remember Brian and Janita Yates, Janita in same class as me at Churh Kirk primary.
Wuff
wuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 09:48   #12

You guys take me back. The landlord of the Thorn was Joe Smith and his wife was Joyce. Kids were Kay, Lorna, Douglas and Daren, who was my age. I lived on St James road being up the youngest of the Gillibrands. Janitor I recall, Julie macDonna, the Jordan's owned the chicken farm. Steve Smith. Poppet at the top of Kirk Road, still there if I'm not mistaken. Mick Mercer is still on St James Road. I get back every is and then and love to swing by and see who's about....
Gilly III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 19:48   #13
Junior Member+

I lived in the Thorn Inn from 1967 till 1979. My mum and dad were the landlord and landlady. George Tomlinson had it before my mum and dad, Joyce and joe smith. My sisters are Lynn and kay and I have a brother Daren. My dad died in June 1979 and my mum finally left the Thorn in November the same year. I recall many of the names previously mentioned. I was never aware of any stream in the cellar though! I remember loads if people who were regulars and many who lived locally. It's lovely to see others have memories of it too. I'm Lorna the youngest daughter and have great memories of living there!
holtsign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:26   #14
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly III View Post
You guys take me back. The landlord of the Thorn was Joe Smith and his wife was Joyce. Kids were Kay, Lorna, Douglas and Daren, who was my age. I lived on St James road being up the youngest of the Gillibrands. Janitor I recall, Julie macDonna, the Jordan's owned the chicken farm. Steve Smith. Poppet at the top of Kirk Road, still there if I'm not mistaken. Mick Mercer is still on St James Road. I get back every is and then and love to swing by and see who's about....
Used to know your Ian back in the early,mid 60s, Blackburn on friday nights was usually on the agenda. Was always a long walk back 2 off at Church n i had to carry on down accy. lol

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..