Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Church
Donate! Join Today

Church A place for the people who want to talk about the area of Church.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-02-2012, 15:40   #16
God Member

Re: Wallace Arnold's/Express Gift's

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Remember all the furore there was about that massive Wall, people saying they didn't keep to the plans, seem to think they planted some trees to make it more easy on the eye
There is a small estate of new built houses at the top of Barnes St.
They had a view of sorts at one time. The 'wall' knocked thousands of their value.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-02-2012, 17:42   #17
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
They had a view of sorts at one time. The 'wall' knocked thousands of their value.
Just after having my second child in 1982, I didn't go back working full time for about 5 years. I did a Saturday job for a local estate agents.

Amongst my duties was to work at some new build bungalows that were being sold behind this building (wasn't there then). Did quite well. Saw later that there was lots of complaints about the Express building (who can blame them), expressing their anger at the estate agent for not letting them know about these plans... I wasn't aware.

Have felt guilty ever since... was only following orders, honest.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 18:50   #18

That's brilliant!!!

Great detective work by the Accrington bloodhounds.

I remember Findel's at Nelson. They were set up in an old mill factory next to the motorway.

They must have transferred everything from Joseph Arnold's premises to the Nelson site and then demolished the Church site and built that giant metal box in its place. Then they moved it all back again.

Sheila
pompeylass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 08:09   #19
Senior Member+

That big metal shed is a blot on the landscape. It can be seen from the top of the coppice
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 09:55   #20
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
wasn't Hameldon Studios on Marlborough Road not part of Joseph Arnolds at one time? they used to make cards there
Part of Fine Art Development Shaz, the parent company, they moved the card making operation their in the 80s I think
Old 26-02-2012, 10:00   #21
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Ya, new there was something to do with the properties being devalued, can remember seeing the photo in the Obs with Jack Grime pointing at the wall
Old 26-02-2012, 10:15   #22
God Member

Some of those new builds are rented out now - presumably because some owners have negative equity.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..