Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Church
Donate! Join Today

Church A place for the people who want to talk about the area of Church.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-10-2004, 18:21   #1
God Member

Why does the Stag face the way it does?

Well, I've asked the question.......who's going to jump in with the first answer?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-10-2004, 18:35   #2
Resident Waffler

Re: Why does the Stag face the way it does?

Because the front of it faces the street as it once was, which now is little more than an inlet from Henry St.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2004, 18:37   #3
Member.

It’s a former coaching house and would have been a lined along the now disappeared coaching road or turn pike?

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2004, 18:39   #4
Resident Waffler

He said it better than I did.

Old 18-10-2004, 18:51   #5
Member.

Don't be to quick Willow, I'm just as likely to get it all so very wrong!!!.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2004, 18:56   #6
Resident Waffler

Well it makes sense to me. Henry Street is the major road there now and it looks as if The Stag was built sideways on, but the front did face the original major road.

Old 18-10-2004, 18:57   #7
God Member

is it because that used to be the main road, it used to go past the clock and end up at the commercial

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2004, 07:41   #8

I think the original road went a different direction. From Church Kirk to Antley..via what became known as the Tanpits. All this must have been in the late 1700's. When I read about the farm known as Ponthalgh it seemed to indicate that there was a road from there to Dunkenhalgh / Altham and a road towards Blackburn, and one to the Antley via Church Kirk. The latter would probably have run down York St., past the Stag, down the Tanpits. The coaches would stop outside the Stag in the direction of the road,to enable people like Tealeaf to partake of refreshments!
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2004, 15:15   #9
God Member

Would an 1845 map help?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Church comp 1845a.jpg (93.5 KB, 122 views)
Old 19-10-2004, 17:15   #10
God Member

Cheers A-B....the maps a big help. What it does show is that, with the exception of what was then the 20 year old Blackburn & Whalley Turnpike Road (Blackburn Road today), there is a splattering of roads & lanes which appear to defy the normal logic of a straight line being the quickest route from A to B. However, for now I wish to say no more about that, other than it's a clue.

What I would like to comment upon is the obsession with Stagecoaches that everyone appears to have. Maybe it's with Christmas coming up that people have been out buying their greetings cards, as usual containing a fair selection of Victorian images of Georgian top-hatted men thrashing their coach through a white winter scene......well, you may have that on the brain, but it's no good here. While the Stag may well once have been a Coaching Inn, that is not the answer to the question above. As I'm sure you know, Stagecoach services (private, fee paying passengers and mail) only evolved after the Civil War and the Restoration. This is some 60 years after the first recorded meeting in the Stag! While it is common now for a building to be designed to allow for technological change, I doubt very much if 15th/16th builders would have had this as their prime consideration.

Given that we've got the map now, I'll give a second clue, and that lies on the far left of the map at a point directly east of the junction Church Lane and Maden street. So, have a good think. Forensic history can be so much fun, what?
Old 19-10-2004, 17:28   #11
land of hope and glory

which side of the pub is the original?when i was a little un the door was on henry st.we have two postcodes,

the old beaten tracks from accy to rishton,and from blackburnshire to huncoat crossed close by to the stag so hazarding a guess id say it was built that way so you could see whom was travelling where.

..........just a guess.......
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2004, 17:30   #12
God Member

Talking Re: Why does the Stag face the way it does?

Oh dear.....don't give it away yet.....Hey, I think there's a bunch of Accy Webbers downstairs....

Last edited by Tealeaf; 19-10-2004 at 17:31.
Old 19-10-2004, 18:35   #13
God Member

The only thing that I can identify at the junction is a well. The buildings are unidentified. Drat! I wish I knew more!
Old 19-10-2004, 19:49   #14
Resident Waffler

Was it facing a village green or something like that?

Old 20-10-2004, 05:29   #15

Thanks for the Map A-Bob, it's very good, but the stag was built before the canal, and that affects (or affected) the highways.
But what I was really aiming at was, that the Stag was obviously built for travellers as an Inn. And that means a major thoroughfare was there on the spot. A crossroads would seem very likely, and there was an existing (or old) road from Church Kirk to Antley.

Haven't got much time to-day, but will have a look at Tealeaf's clue if I can!

Last edited by Darby; 20-10-2004 at 05:35. Reason: Spelling mistakes
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..