Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Heritage and History (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/)
-   -   Howard & Bullough (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/howard-and-bullough-17881.html)

Trevis2 08-11-2005 01:51

Howard & Bullough

Can anyone tell me anything about H&B

WillowTheWhisp 08-11-2005 07:43

Re: Howard & Bullough

Howard & Bulloughs, Accrington formed in 1851. Partners James Bullough and John Howard. Engineering firm making machinery for the cotton industry.

James's son John joined them business in 1862 and he helped to build up the company to one of the largest employers in the Accrington area with over 2,000 workers which eventually grew to over 6,000 in its heyday. The factory, known as "Globe Works" was a huge square building covering more than 50 acres, with an open interior area like a quadrangle. It totally dominated the town. Most of the building has now been demolished but the front part remains as "The Globe Centre". There was even a link across Ormerod Street to a smaller building (now occupied by the Council as Scaitcliffe House) which was connected by overhead covered walkways.

Up to 75% of the factory's output was exported and most of the people in the town worked there, had family who worked there or knew someone who worked there. It was commonly refered to as "Bulloughs" (Poor old Mr. Howard being totally ignored)

During the second world war they turned to manufacture of armaments such as bayonets, shells, gun carriages, mine sinkers, aircraft components.

After the war they returned again to machinery manufacture. However, by the late 1980s things were in decline. The company had been taken over by Platts whose logo appeared on the front of the building. American company Saco Lowell took over Platts and the firm became Platt Saco Lowell, which finally closed down in 1993.

Wynonie Harris 09-11-2005 13:01

Bulloughs had another large factory complex on Charter Street and Fairfield Street. Most of it's still there, but a variety of different companies occupy the site now. Remember the black-liveried Bulloughs wagons zooming around town?

When the Globe Works was illuminated at night, it was one of Accrington's most familiar sights - so much so, that in pub domino games, the double-nine was called "Bulloughs lit up".

emmatjackson 09-11-2005 19:20

My Grandad Was An Apprentise At Howard & Bulloughs Do You Remember Richard Bury. Dick. Lived In Green Haworth

Trevis2 10-11-2005 01:06

Hello once again and greetings from Canada
I served my apprenticeship at Howard & Bullough from 1940-1946 in the Toolroom , then was called up ,so i never went back to work there
I have fond memorys, and still remember the lads i worked with and also can place them where they worked in the Toolroom
Jeff Barnes was the Toolroom Manager , and the forman i worked for was George Crawshaw, I was in Bulloughs Home Guard and stood Guard in Fountain St
I remember when they put the Bridge accross the street to Bulloughs Canteen and saw the ENSA concerts at lunch time
well that is all for now hope that it brings back happy memories from war time that wasnt happy for a lot of people
Thank you for the space
Trevor B Williams

Trevis2 15-03-2006 23:47

re Howard & Bullough
Bulloughs had a Home Guard unit and we guarded the Globe Works , Charter St, & Stevenson St plants,during the war at night , and Sunday we had to be on parade and go on the fireing range in the #2 moulding shop or the fireing range down around Mitton

yerself 01-04-2006 20:14

Have a read at this, you may find it interesting:http://www.kcfa.org.uk/bulloughs.html

Gayle 01-04-2006 20:40

If you go into the Globe Centre there are some pictures on the wall which give a flavour of what H&B used to be like.

Trevis2 05-04-2006 00:57

I enjoyed reading about H&B and seeing a picture , i believe some parts are still standing ,what is the globe is it a theatre , i still remember a lot of the chaps that i worked with,and can remember where they worked in the Tool Room , can anyone remember Mr Deveraue the employment manager

Trevis2 05-04-2006 00:57

:not_ripe:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevis2
I enjoyed reading about H&B and seeing a picture , i believe some parts are still standing ,what is the globe is it a theatre , i still remember a lot of the chaps that i worked with,and can remember where they worked in the Tool Room , can anyone remember Mr Deveraue the employment manager

Gayle 05-04-2006 06:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevis2

It's not a theatre it's a large business centre, there are offices in it for a number of companies. There's also a very good restaurant and I think some hotel rooms. The foyer has a few pictures about the history of H&B and whenever I'm waiting for a meeting I have a look at some of them.

Siddie 07-04-2006 00:11

[quote=Trevis2]Hello once again and greetings from Canada
I served my apprenticeship at Howard & Bullough from 1940-1946 in the Toolroom ,
Trevis do you remember Arthur Livesey ???????

talentedbutslow 09-04-2006 03:33

Worked at Stevenson St for 3 yrs b4 migrating.......dad worked across the aisle from me...he retired from there after 50 yrs.......

cashman 11-04-2006 23:12

worked in the heavy machine shop for a while in the 60s, you didnt clock in @out,they were metal checks if memory serves me well:confused:

talentedbutslow 12-04-2006 08:56

Round Metal Wif A Number On Them........:)