Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-03-2010, 18:08   #1

I am trying to decipher a place name on the 1841 census. The district is Whalley and the description of the enumeration area mentions the Scaitcliffe water course. The name of the place I am trying to decipher looks like Dane View or Pane View. The place before it in the census is Higher Fold and the pace after it is Grange Lane. If you have access to the 1841 and are good enough to have a look for me put in Kalab Scholes born 1829 Accrington. It is image 17 of 21 in district 10. Hopefully someone who knows the area may recognise the place. All help gratefully received. Thanks. Alan
florida3080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-03-2010, 19:44   #2
I am Banned

Re: 1841

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida3080 View Post
I am trying to decipher a place name on the 1841 census. The district is Whalley and the description of the enumeration area mentions the Scaitcliffe water course. The name of the place I am trying to decipher looks like Dane View or Pane View. The place before it in the census is Higher Fold and the pace after it is Grange Lane. If you have access to the 1841 and are good enough to have a look for me put in Kalab Scholes born 1829 Accrington. It is image 17 of 21 in district 10. Hopefully someone who knows the area may recognise the place. All help gratefully received. Thanks. Alan
Caleb Scholes lived with his mother Mary in Paradise St, age 12 years. In the 1851 Census he is 21 years and a flagger & slater, still living with his mother in the same house.
Can't find any thing in the preamble to district 10 which mentions other than the Scaitcliffe Water Course.

Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2010, 10:39   #3

Re: 1841

Thanks Retlaw. I can see it clearly now as Paradise. Initially it looked like two words. I have him living in Scaitcliffe Road in 1851.
florida3080 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..