Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Heritage and History (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/)
-   -   Lightbowns Toffees (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/lightbowns-toffees-28701.html)

stanleybabe 23-02-2007 18:10

Lightbowns Toffees

Does anyone on AccyWeb have any info on the Lightbown Family in Accrington? The family business was Lightbowns Sweets, I think they made Grip Pastilles. I'm researching my family tree and my great great grandad was a Lightbown.
Thanks
Kate

Doug 23-02-2007 18:22

Re: Lightbowns Toffees

All the best Kate, Can't help with your request but someone must be able to help with a family background like yours. I've been doing mine for the last year are so and seem to have run out of steam. I don't seem able to get beyond the 1880s in Blackburn of all places.

Ernie 23-02-2007 20:37

Lightbown's toffee factory used to be at the back of Adelaide Street in Accrington until the early 60s when a Scottish firm took them over and they sold the building a few years later to Brown and Catlow which was a local firm making tiled fireplace surrounds. My Mother used to work for Lightbowns before she retired, we used to live in Adelaide Street and lightbowns was just accross the back alley.

stanleybabe 24-02-2007 09:42

Thanks for the info Ernie. I don't suppose you can remember the names of any of the family? My GG Grandad was called Henry and I think it was his brother John William that started the firm. He's variously described in the censuses as a baker, confectioner and sugar confectioner. He had 6 children - Nancy Ellen, William, Richard, Ernest Wilfred, Gertrude and John Emile. In the 1901 Census, Nancy's occupation is given as a milliner and Gertrude as an artist. Richard is a tailor's assistant, William and Ernest are confectioner's travellers and John Emile is a clerk at an ironworks.

Kate

Ernie 24-02-2007 11:50

Sorry Kate, its all very vague because when my Mum left McGowans,(that was the firm that Lightbowns sold out to) I was only in my early teens and I dont remember her talking much about management although she actually worked for Lightbowns for 26 years.

thindle 23-09-2007 17:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by stanleybabe (Post 387513)
Does anyone on AccyWeb have any info on the Lightbown Family in Accrington? The family business was Lightbowns Sweets, I think they made Grip Pastilles. I'm researching my family tree and my great great grandad was a Lightbown.
Thanks
Kate

Hi Kate, my husband's gtgrandad's daughter married a Lightbown, but, they came from Ossy and before that Darwen I think so not sure about the toffee side. Take a look on Genes reunited or Family search.

stanleybabe 24-09-2007 07:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by thindle (Post 473525)
Hi Kate, my husband's gtgrandad's daughter married a Lightbown, but, they came from Ossy and before that Darwen I think so not sure about the toffee side. Take a look on Genes reunited or Family search.

Hello,
my side of the Lightbowns were from Ossie, it was my gg grandad's brother who was in Accy and started the toffee firm. Do you have any more info on your Ossie Lightbowns?

Thanks
Kate

lindsay ormerod 25-09-2007 20:34

kate, my dad went to Peel Park and/ or the Grammar School with 2 Lightbowns; Geoff and Tony . He thinks were not related to each other.

ChrisMG 26-09-2007 17:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by stanleybabe (Post 473683)
Hello,
my side of the Lightbowns were from Ossie, it was my gg grandad's brother who was in Accy and started the toffee firm. Do you have any more info on your Ossie Lightbowns?

Thanks
Kate

Kate,

There are loads of Lightbowns of Oswaldtwistle on the Genes reunited site, going all the way back to 1848.

Ancestry . Family history . Genes Reunited

Do a search, its free. You just have to pay if you need to contact anyone. I'm a member, i've found 3 other peoples family trees that link to my tree so far containing over 6000 names!

Chris

yvonne01 03-12-2008 19:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by stanleybabe (Post 387513)
Thanks
Kate

Hi Kate,

My dad is a lightbown who lived in Blackburn, but my grandma had family in Accrington. I remember once being told that my great grandad had a toffee factory in Accrington.
I don't know why, but I suddenly decided to look it up tonight. I'll see what info. I can get from my dad. His name is Peter Benjamin Lightbown (I was Yvonne Lightbown). He has a brother called Don, but I can't remember my grandads name.
I'll get back to you....
Good Luck
Yvonne

Bejantine78 27-11-2013 16:12

Hi Stanleybabe

I am related to the LIGHTBOWN Toffee people through John William's wife - Mary Ellen HAWORTH b 1850 in Ossie

Bob Dobson 27-11-2013 20:27

There's a connection in Blackpool, where the toffee Lightbown's lived. I may be right in thinking there's a Lightbown Ave or Street.

GILLIAN WOODS 15-11-2015 13:48

Hi Kate
Have just read your posts on the Lightbowns.My father was Richard William Lightbown and worked for his uncle Billie at the toffee works in Accrington before starting up on his own on Hyndburn Rd ( Ribble Confectionry. Uncle Billie lived at High Lawns on Manchester Rd Acc.
His first wife died and he married again to a lady called Hilda l think they had twin boys and when Billie died I think they went to live in Zurich.
I remember Ernest Emile and Gertrude they lived in a house in Blackpool and we visited them frequently.I did not know my grandad James only that he was a tailor my grannie Elizabeth and he were divorced long before my brother and I were born.
The Geoffrey someone mentioned on one message would be my brother we both went to Peel Park School in the 50s.
Hope this is of interest to you I have news paper cuttings of the family that may interest you .
Gill

Rowlf 15-11-2015 14:52

I remember a Gillian Lightbrown at Peel Park junior school when I was there would that be you ? I left in 1955.

GILLIAN WOODS 17-11-2015 16:25

Hi
Yes that would have been me, I left in 1955 going onto Hyndburn park.