Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Heritage and History (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/)
-   -   Yards in Accrington. (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/yards-in-accrington-36655.html)

Atarah 23-05-2019 21:13

Re: Yards in Accrington.

Hi as far as I am aware Woods Yard was off Cross Street and Wood Street off 37 Dale Street. Does that sound about right? :-)

ferret man 26-05-2019 17:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atarah (Post 1228518)
Hi as far as I am aware Woods Yard was off Cross Street and Wood Street off 37 Dale Street. Does that sound about right? :-)

Just wondering how Wood St was off 37 Dale St

Frank T 27-09-2019 09:58

Hello Retlaw, it`s fifty years since I left Accy, I remember a court/yard off Nuttall St. on the apex of where it bends to the right after Wellington St. Whilst they were living my relatives swore blind that I was mistaken. Can you throw any light on the matter? Frank T

Atarah 27-09-2019 10:20

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank T (Post 1232236)
Hello Retlaw, it`s fifty years since I left Accy, I remember a court/yard off Nuttall St. on the apex of where it bends to the right after Wellington St. Whilst they were living my relatives swore blind that I was mistaken. Can you throw any light on the matter? Frank T

Hi some views of Nuttall Street area. Across from The Star pub there was an alleyway, which led to Clement Street, a cut through (with Lincoln Street nearby) The selling out shop, in my time, was McCartneys. You may remember Littlefair's paper shop too, on the corner of Nuttall and Wellington Streets.

Margaret Pilkington 27-09-2019 13:29

I remember that Yard too...there was a selling out shop very close to it and it was owned by a family called Mc Cartney...the duaghter was at school with me.
I am going back to around the late 1950's.
My Grandma used to get off the Manchester bus in Melbourne Street and head for The Star public house...she would have a half of mild and bring a bottle of beer to our house to have later.
Atarah, those pictures bring back some very happy memories...thank you.

Frank T 28-09-2019 17:30

Ta muchly Atarah I always knew I was right, I remember the paper shop but I didn`t know the name, across the road was there a chip shop? I remember half way on Wellington St. was a grocers shop (I think it was Polish) they had a beautiful daughter called Vanda, we were in the same classes at junior school. Totally irrelevant my mother was born at 21 Wellington St.

Atarah 30-09-2019 12:43

2 Attachment(s)
Hi, yes, there was a chippy directly across from Littlefair's, quite a large family, I knew Alan as he used to be one of the lads we all used to meet up with, up Oak Hill Park. I should know the surname but cant just remember it. Here are two oldish views of Wellington Street.

Exile on Spencer St 07-10-2019 09:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atarah (Post 1232237)
?.. The selling out shop, in my time, was McCartneys...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1232247)
...there was a selling out shop very close to it and it was owned by a family called Mc Cartney...

Had to smile at both of you referring to “selling out” shops.
When I moved to Accy from Cumberland age 6 it took a while to pick up on the local lingo. I often went in the “selling out” shop on the corner of Washington St, at the bottom of Cedar Street (if memory serves).
But, when it was still there after six months, then a year, I couldn’t understand why it hadn’t yet sold out and cleared the shelves.
It was only later that I twigged it was a “sellin’ owt” shop.

Margaret Pilkington 07-10-2019 09:42

That made me laugh...though it is not really correct.
Selling Out shops were licensed to sell alcohol to be consumed off the premises.
These were known as 'out sales'.....pubs often had a counter where you could buy alcohol to take out....and often folk could be seen entering the 'out sales' door with a jug to take home a couple of pints of mild.
Sometimes this would be 'pokered' when it was taken home.....mild was thought to have beneficial digestive benefits....and for anyone constipated....would 'make a road through'.
Children were given pokered ale.

Not a lot of people know that....and I am really showing my age now.

Exile on Spencer St 07-10-2019 13:21

Thanks, Margaret, none of us are too old to learn.
However, I guess at that time I was yet to appreciate the attractions of buying a bottle of Dutton’s or Massey’s along with my pennyworth of spanish.

Margaret Pilkington 07-10-2019 15:35

Yes, you are right about the learning.
Don't think you would have been served with the beer and the Spanish.
The selling out shops could only sell beer during licensing hours and so that is why they sold other stuff too(or at least that is my recollection).

Petrary 16-10-2019 04:58

I would love to join this.