Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Heritage and History (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/)
-   -   Yards in Accrington. (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/yards-in-accrington-36655.html)

Retlaw 01-02-2008 21:27

Yards in Accrington.

Lets see who knows Accrington.

Abbey Yard, Ainsworth's Yard, Albion Yard, Birtwistle's Yard,
Briggs Yard, Broughton's Yard, Brown Cow Yard, Bugle Yard
Carters Yard, Crompton Yard, Dugdale's Yard, Dukes Yard
Eagle Yard, Grange Yard, Greenhalgh Yard, Halls Yard, Haworths Yard, Hindles Yard, Lonsdales Yard, Marshalls Yard, Masons Yard,
Oak Tree Yard, Pomfret Yard, Rileys Yard, St Ledger Yard,
Swan yard, Wilkinsons Yard, Willow Yard, Wilsons Yard & Woods Yard.

Name the streets they were off.
:dogrun:
Retlaw

Bonnyboy 01-02-2008 21:55

Re: Yards in Accrington.

Would love to join in on this but I don't originate from around here. Looking forward to the posts tho...the others will be of more help than me :)

MargaretR 01-02-2008 22:03

They must be attached to streets of the same name or were behind pubs of that name.
They weren't housing in yard enclosures because they were called 'courts'
My grandmother lived in a 'one up one down' 'back to back' house in Paxton Court
Back-to-back houses - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Atarah 01-02-2008 22:17

Yards in Accrington.

BRIGGS YARD - was where the Tesco garage on Abbey Street now stands

Atarah

MargaretR 01-02-2008 22:19

Were they areas attached to commercial premises?

cashman 01-02-2008 22:24

remember 3 feet,used to be a yard.:D

Retlaw 01-02-2008 22:26

No NOT all of them, some bear no relationship with the street they were off, that would have been too easy.

Retlaw.

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected] (Post 525537)
They must be attached to streets of the same name or were behind pubs of that name.
They weren't housing in yard enclosures because they were called 'courts'
My grandmother lived in a 'one up one down' 'back to back' house in Paxton Court

Back-to-back houses - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Retlaw 01-02-2008 22:28

NO, what makes you think that, I said streets they were off, not premises.

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected] (Post 525554)
Were they areas attached to commercial premises?

Atarah 02-02-2008 13:36

Yards in Accrington.

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a lovely photo of HALLS YARD. this was situated on the top corner of Jacob Street and Black Abbet Street, now a boring little car park. No could would guess this property had once been on that very site.

Atarah

katex 02-02-2008 15:33

Only know Pomfret Yard, cause was mentioned in a past thread, and brother pointed out that my Grandfather and family were there in the 1901 census.
Didn't know this and not sure which Grandfather either. Seems off Blackburn Road and behind the Spread Eagle pub.

Can only guess at some of the others by their name like maybe Broughtons Yard .. probably around where the plumbers shop was, bottom of King Street ?

Are any of these left Retlaw ? Cannot remember seeing any of them when I was young.

Retlaw 02-02-2008 16:36

Pomfret Yard was off Albon St
Broughtons Yard was off Oak St , nowt to do with Broughtons Plumbers if thats what you thought.

Retlaw.

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 525826)
Only know Pomfret Yard, cause was mentioned in a past thread, and brother pointed out that my Grandfather and family were there in the 1901 census.
Didn't know this and not sure which Grandfather either. Seems off Blackburn Road and behind the Spread Eagle pub.

Can only guess at some of the others by their name like maybe Broughtons Yard .. probably around where the plumbers shop was, bottom of King Street ?

Are any of these left Retlaw ? Cannot remember seeing any of them when I was young.

katex 02-02-2008 17:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 525872)
Pomfret Yard was off Albon St
Broughtons Yard was off Oak St , nowt to do with Broughtons Plumbers if thats what you thought.

Retlaw.

Yeh,but Albion Street (presume you meant this) is at the junction of King Street almost joining Blackburn Road .. that's sorta' what I meant .. I think.

Hey, yes, did think Broughtons probably took their name from a certain area in town .. so no good guessing any of the others ..:D would probably be totally wrong.. :( Oh go on then .. St. Legers Yard somewhere off Plantation Street ?

Have just noticed your name .. Walter spelt backwards ! Presume the last to catch on with this one too. :rolleyes:

Atarah 02-02-2008 19:32

Yards in Accrington.

St Legers, yeah must be off Plantation Street, cos there was a pub called the St Leger -one of my rellies had it for a short period.

There was a famous family called BROUGTON who had a cloggers shop in Warner St, so am assuming thats where Broughtons yard got its name from. When that property (think middle property of middle block on side nearest to Oak Street) was being altered, someone had the sense to save all the cloggers tools etc. and they can now be seen in the museum at Clitheroe Castle.

Atarah

Tony Ireland 12-02-2008 14:37

Tubbyles had been after the location of Pomfret's yard in the posts about the hippodrome he had relations that had lived there
I would be interested to know it's location now, because the only place I could see it having been is through the archway beside the pie shop corner of blackburn rd and albion st which was just before the back street to the shops and the spread eagle ie when coming down albion st
thanks
tony

motherhubbard 17-03-2008 20:25

Birtwistle Yard was behind Birtwistle Street, My great grandparents lived there.
The Ledger yard was through a ginnel by the Ledger Pub on the right hand side as you went up Plantation Street. Where the small flats are
My Uncle and his mate Arthur Mort used to be regulars in there, the horse and cart would wait outside and take them home at closing time