Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Heritage and History (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/)
-   -   Yards in Accrington. (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/yards-in-accrington-36655.html)

Retlaw 01-02-2008 20:27

Yards in Accrington.

Lets see who knows Accrington.

Abbey Yard, Ainsworth's Yard, Albion Yard, Birtwistle's Yard,
Briggs Yard, Broughton's Yard, Brown Cow Yard, Bugle Yard
Carters Yard, Crompton Yard, Dugdale's Yard, Dukes Yard
Eagle Yard, Grange Yard, Greenhalgh Yard, Halls Yard, Haworths Yard, Hindles Yard, Lonsdales Yard, Marshalls Yard, Masons Yard,
Oak Tree Yard, Pomfret Yard, Rileys Yard, St Ledger Yard,
Swan yard, Wilkinsons Yard, Willow Yard, Wilsons Yard & Woods Yard.

Name the streets they were off.
:dogrun:
Retlaw

Bonnyboy 01-02-2008 20:55

Re: Yards in Accrington.

Would love to join in on this but I don't originate from around here. Looking forward to the posts tho...the others will be of more help than me :)

MargaretR 01-02-2008 21:03

They must be attached to streets of the same name or were behind pubs of that name.
They weren't housing in yard enclosures because they were called 'courts'
My grandmother lived in a 'one up one down' 'back to back' house in Paxton Court
Back-to-back houses - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Atarah 01-02-2008 21:17

Yards in Accrington.

BRIGGS YARD - was where the Tesco garage on Abbey Street now stands

Atarah

MargaretR 01-02-2008 21:19

Were they areas attached to commercial premises?

cashman 01-02-2008 21:24

remember 3 feet,used to be a yard.:D

Retlaw 01-02-2008 21:26

No NOT all of them, some bear no relationship with the street they were off, that would have been too easy.

Retlaw.

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected] (Post 525537)
They must be attached to streets of the same name or were behind pubs of that name.
They weren't housing in yard enclosures because they were called 'courts'
My grandmother lived in a 'one up one down' 'back to back' house in Paxton Court

Back-to-back houses - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Retlaw 01-02-2008 21:28

NO, what makes you think that, I said streets they were off, not premises.

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected] (Post 525554)
Were they areas attached to commercial premises?

Atarah 02-02-2008 12:36

Yards in Accrington.

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a lovely photo of HALLS YARD. this was situated on the top corner of Jacob Street and Black Abbet Street, now a boring little car park. No could would guess this property had once been on that very site.

Atarah

katex 02-02-2008 14:33

Only know Pomfret Yard, cause was mentioned in a past thread, and brother pointed out that my Grandfather and family were there in the 1901 census.
Didn't know this and not sure which Grandfather either. Seems off Blackburn Road and behind the Spread Eagle pub.

Can only guess at some of the others by their name like maybe Broughtons Yard .. probably around where the plumbers shop was, bottom of King Street ?

Are any of these left Retlaw ? Cannot remember seeing any of them when I was young.

Retlaw 02-02-2008 15:36

Pomfret Yard was off Albon St
Broughtons Yard was off Oak St , nowt to do with Broughtons Plumbers if thats what you thought.

Retlaw.

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 525826)
Only know Pomfret Yard, cause was mentioned in a past thread, and brother pointed out that my Grandfather and family were there in the 1901 census.
Didn't know this and not sure which Grandfather either. Seems off Blackburn Road and behind the Spread Eagle pub.

Can only guess at some of the others by their name like maybe Broughtons Yard .. probably around where the plumbers shop was, bottom of King Street ?

Are any of these left Retlaw ? Cannot remember seeing any of them when I was young.

katex 02-02-2008 16:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 525872)
Pomfret Yard was off Albon St
Broughtons Yard was off Oak St , nowt to do with Broughtons Plumbers if thats what you thought.

Retlaw.

Yeh,but Albion Street (presume you meant this) is at the junction of King Street almost joining Blackburn Road .. that's sorta' what I meant .. I think.

Hey, yes, did think Broughtons probably took their name from a certain area in town .. so no good guessing any of the others ..:D would probably be totally wrong.. :( Oh go on then .. St. Legers Yard somewhere off Plantation Street ?

Have just noticed your name .. Walter spelt backwards ! Presume the last to catch on with this one too. :rolleyes:

Atarah 02-02-2008 18:32

Yards in Accrington.

St Legers, yeah must be off Plantation Street, cos there was a pub called the St Leger -one of my rellies had it for a short period.

There was a famous family called BROUGTON who had a cloggers shop in Warner St, so am assuming thats where Broughtons yard got its name from. When that property (think middle property of middle block on side nearest to Oak Street) was being altered, someone had the sense to save all the cloggers tools etc. and they can now be seen in the museum at Clitheroe Castle.

Atarah

Tony Ireland 12-02-2008 13:37

Tubbyles had been after the location of Pomfret's yard in the posts about the hippodrome he had relations that had lived there
I would be interested to know it's location now, because the only place I could see it having been is through the archway beside the pie shop corner of blackburn rd and albion st which was just before the back street to the shops and the spread eagle ie when coming down albion st
thanks
tony

motherhubbard 17-03-2008 19:25

Birtwistle Yard was behind Birtwistle Street, My great grandparents lived there.
The Ledger yard was through a ginnel by the Ledger Pub on the right hand side as you went up Plantation Street. Where the small flats are
My Uncle and his mate Arthur Mort used to be regulars in there, the horse and cart would wait outside and take them home at closing time

les stewart 04-10-2012 19:24

Have a relative lived at 6 Eagle Yard. Anyone have any old photos?

Dandy 06-10-2012 15:59

Marshall's Yard is on Argyle Street at the bottom of Westwood Street.
Tripe dresser's used to be there in the 1950's.

Marl 19-10-2012 14:43

Eh Arthur Mortimer what a character he was when we moved from Midland St in the 1950s he helped us by loading his cart with beds and all sorts.Him and his dad lived in Cedar Street bottom end corner of Cedar St and Percy St I seem to remember his dad was a bit of a tartar.He loved my grandma Mary to bits he would call in to see if he had won on the horses.Me and my younger sister used to say he reminded us of long John Silver ( without the peg leg of course ) then there was gill of mild Nellie Ada Tootle and Cissy bloomer they were all friends of our grandma Mary and loved nothin better than have a good natter and put the world to rights....God bless em all.

cashman 19-10-2012 14:49

Arthur lived on the street off Burnley Rd by the Boars Head in later years. Though have a cracking funny tale about him, long before he lived yon.:D

Marl 21-10-2012 15:50

I have a funny feeling that your bro lives in Arthur Morts old house.

cashman 21-10-2012 16:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marl (Post 1023741)
I have a funny feeling that your bro lives in Arthur Morts old house.

Nah Marl me brother lived on Cedar St n died a couple of years back.;)

Marl 21-10-2012 16:12

Oh sorry to hear that!!!!. I just have a feeling I know who you are.

cashman 21-10-2012 16:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marl (Post 1023747)
Oh sorry to hear that!!!!. I just have a feeling I know who you are.

Yeh do yeh knew me mam.:D

Bob Dobson 21-10-2012 20:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1023331)
Arthur lived on the street off Burnley Rd by the Boars Head in later years. Though have a cracking funny tale about him, long before he lived yon.:D

I cannot believe that Cashy, who lived in Dowry St, doesn't know that the street he describes is Bradshaw St.

cashman 21-10-2012 21:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dobson (Post 1023785)
I cannot believe that Cashy, who lived in Dowry St, doesn't know that the street he describes is Bradshaw St.

To be honest i couldn't think if twas Bradshaw Street West or Bradshaw St Bob.:o

manantat 27-12-2016 22:59

I saw the building is still there on my first visit back home in over 30 years. It belonged to my grandfather, he lived on Westwood street. Does anyone know any more about them or him, I don't know much about him.��

Bob Dobson 28-12-2016 08:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by manantat (Post 1183866)
I saw the building is still there on my first visit back home in over 30 years. It belonged to my grandfather, he lived on Westwood street. Does anyone know any more about them or him, I don't know much about him.��

I think it great that this thread was resurrected after 4 years......Give us a bit more to go on - name for a start.

ossy kid 28-12-2016 16:21

It's grandad manantat Bob?????????

rtbarton 21-05-2019 13:43

Was Woods Yard off Cross St?

ferret man 23-05-2019 20:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtbarton (Post 1228437)
Was Woods Yard off Cross St?

Or was Wood Yard at the top of Wood St off Dale St

Atarah 23-05-2019 21:13

Hi as far as I am aware Woods Yard was off Cross Street and Wood Street off 37 Dale Street. Does that sound about right? :-)

ferret man 26-05-2019 17:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atarah (Post 1228518)
Hi as far as I am aware Woods Yard was off Cross Street and Wood Street off 37 Dale Street. Does that sound about right? :-)

Just wondering how Wood St was off 37 Dale St

Frank T 27-09-2019 09:58

Hello Retlaw, it`s fifty years since I left Accy, I remember a court/yard off Nuttall St. on the apex of where it bends to the right after Wellington St. Whilst they were living my relatives swore blind that I was mistaken. Can you throw any light on the matter? Frank T

Atarah 27-09-2019 10:20

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank T (Post 1232236)
Hello Retlaw, it`s fifty years since I left Accy, I remember a court/yard off Nuttall St. on the apex of where it bends to the right after Wellington St. Whilst they were living my relatives swore blind that I was mistaken. Can you throw any light on the matter? Frank T

Hi some views of Nuttall Street area. Across from The Star pub there was an alleyway, which led to Clement Street, a cut through (with Lincoln Street nearby) The selling out shop, in my time, was McCartneys. You may remember Littlefair's paper shop too, on the corner of Nuttall and Wellington Streets.

Margaret Pilkington 27-09-2019 13:29

I remember that Yard too...there was a selling out shop very close to it and it was owned by a family called Mc Cartney...the duaghter was at school with me.
I am going back to around the late 1950's.
My Grandma used to get off the Manchester bus in Melbourne Street and head for The Star public house...she would have a half of mild and bring a bottle of beer to our house to have later.
Atarah, those pictures bring back some very happy memories...thank you.

Frank T 28-09-2019 17:30

Ta muchly Atarah I always knew I was right, I remember the paper shop but I didn`t know the name, across the road was there a chip shop? I remember half way on Wellington St. was a grocers shop (I think it was Polish) they had a beautiful daughter called Vanda, we were in the same classes at junior school. Totally irrelevant my mother was born at 21 Wellington St.

Atarah 30-09-2019 12:43

2 Attachment(s)
Hi, yes, there was a chippy directly across from Littlefair's, quite a large family, I knew Alan as he used to be one of the lads we all used to meet up with, up Oak Hill Park. I should know the surname but cant just remember it. Here are two oldish views of Wellington Street.

Exile on Spencer St 07-10-2019 09:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atarah (Post 1232237)
?.. The selling out shop, in my time, was McCartneys...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1232247)
...there was a selling out shop very close to it and it was owned by a family called Mc Cartney...

Had to smile at both of you referring to “selling out” shops.
When I moved to Accy from Cumberland age 6 it took a while to pick up on the local lingo. I often went in the “selling out” shop on the corner of Washington St, at the bottom of Cedar Street (if memory serves).
But, when it was still there after six months, then a year, I couldn’t understand why it hadn’t yet sold out and cleared the shelves.
It was only later that I twigged it was a “sellin’ owt” shop.

Margaret Pilkington 07-10-2019 09:42

That made me laugh...though it is not really correct.
Selling Out shops were licensed to sell alcohol to be consumed off the premises.
These were known as 'out sales'.....pubs often had a counter where you could buy alcohol to take out....and often folk could be seen entering the 'out sales' door with a jug to take home a couple of pints of mild.
Sometimes this would be 'pokered' when it was taken home.....mild was thought to have beneficial digestive benefits....and for anyone constipated....would 'make a road through'.
Children were given pokered ale.

Not a lot of people know that....and I am really showing my age now.

Exile on Spencer St 07-10-2019 13:21

Thanks, Margaret, none of us are too old to learn.
However, I guess at that time I was yet to appreciate the attractions of buying a bottle of Dutton’s or Massey’s along with my pennyworth of spanish.

Margaret Pilkington 07-10-2019 15:35

Yes, you are right about the learning.
Don't think you would have been served with the beer and the Spanish.
The selling out shops could only sell beer during licensing hours and so that is why they sold other stuff too(or at least that is my recollection).

Petrary 16-10-2019 04:58

I would love to join this.