Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Heritage and History (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/)
-   -   Street Names (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/street-names-39784.html)

cashman 24-06-2008 22:23

Re: Street Names

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 597629)
Chapel St was named after a Calvanist Chapel that used to be on the corner with Quarry St, during the late 1940's it was a shop.

Crawhaw St, my Aunt used to live three doors up from Fitzpatricks Farriers.

Retlaw.

used to love watching him shoe the horses, wonder if thats why Thwaites called the pub the Horseshoe? that was at junction of Crawshaw St n School St.

KAYJAY 25-06-2008 07:18

Thank you all for the replies re Chapel St and Crawshaw St- I remember the little shop on the corner of Quarry St very well, how interesting to know it once was a chapel!! - I always wondered how the street was so named as I never saw any sign of one.
Thanks also for the Crawshaw St info - always curious about that, lived on the street for 15 years, never heard of Crawshaw's Hall though. Knew the farrrier Brian Fitzpatrick- and The Horseshoe pub on School street corner - talking of which - was there ever a school on School St? Not in my time, and it was quite a small street.

Bob Dobson 25-06-2008 08:06

I'm not aware of a school on School Street, though in willow St the Cannon St Baptists ran a Sunday School from early times, so that may have been named as it it led up to it.
I always thought it comical that School St was opposite Birch St

The Horseshoe - don't know about this. Don't even know if it was originally a Thwaites house or one they bought off another small brewery - though it wasn't a Bentley's (Milnshaw) house. There was a fashion to name pubs after racehorses. Fitzpatrick's wasn't the only farrier's shop in the area - Myerscough's were in King St, so it may be that there was one in School St and the pub was built on it. I am working on a new book of Acc photos, and have traced one of the Horseshoe. so will probably include it.

Back to Arago St, I feel it is linked to Arnold St & Addison st, its parrallel neighbours.
The most famous Arago ( there were 4 brothers) was Francois, a mathematician, physicist, astonomer & French Prime Minister. So all 3 were academ,ics whom Peel may have admired. Another brother, Etienne Vincent, was a celebrated writer, so he too could linked to Addison & Arnold.

WillowTheWhisp 25-06-2008 08:11

The Baptist Sunday School on Willow Street, which was sold off and became a night club, wasn't just a Sunday School as we know them today. It was originally a church school for basic education before state schools did that job. I remember when it was a Sunday School and the long corridors and stairs leading into the back of the church. There were lots of different classrooms and a yard round the back used by the scouts/guides/cubs/brownies.

Retlaw 25-06-2008 13:36

1 Attachment(s)
Willow St School.
Is one of these you Willow.

cashman 26-06-2008 00:32

the only thing i can remember on school street, was i think a small printing dept belonging to the accrington observer? p.s. please let me know when the new photo book comes out Bob, would love to see it especially if one of the horseshoes included. have a Memories of Accrington book by John Goddard n love it.

WillowTheWhisp 26-06-2008 08:14

Crikey how old is that photo Retlaw? :D

Bob Dobson 26-06-2008 08:56

Crawshaw St again....I was mistaken about the other farrier. In fact Myerscough occupied what we know as Fitzpatrick's. I had forgotten that King St extended to the river, so the workshop fronted both King and Crawshaw streets.Myerscough died in 1924 with the business still going strong. The more I think about it, the more I think that the Horseshoe would be named because of the Crawshaw st connection with horses.

School St....The Observer was printed here. I think that the building ran through to Edgar St. ( That street name will have to wait till I get back off my holiday.)

Retlaw 26-06-2008 13:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp (Post 598546)
Crikey how old is that photo Retlaw? :D

About 1920/30

Are you not on it.

Retlaw.

:hidewall:

cashman 26-06-2008 14:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 598669)
About 1920/30

Are you not on it.

Retlaw.

:hidewall:

nah Retlaw, willow n meself had left school then.:D

Wynonie Harris 26-06-2008 19:55

What an interesting thread - I hadn't noticed it before.

I was told that Brown Street got its name from when the builders were constructing the houses along there. They were cooking up their breakfast and one builder asked another how he wanted his bacon cooked...don't know if it's true.

However, I was wondering if anyone could tell me how my old street, Claret Street, got its name? It's the only one in the country, so maybe there's a story behind it.

Bob Dobson 26-06-2008 20:06

Claret St ...don't know. Apart from Buxton St, many of the streets nearby begin with 'C'
I'll give it some thought. Was the builder a Burnley supporter or wine lover?

Brown St...a very good example of an urban myth. I think if we looked into it there might have been a Bulloughs director called Brown, or a builder/solicitor/surveyor with that name. No mayor called Brown.

Wynonie Harris 26-06-2008 20:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dobson (Post 598909)
Was the builder a Burnley supporter

I certainly hope not or I'll have to pretend I never lived there! ;) Cheers for the response anyway, Bob.

WillowTheWhisp 26-06-2008 21:36

Ooh I didn't realise you were on Claret St Wynonie.

Wynonie Harris 26-06-2008 22:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp (Post 598969)
Ooh I didn't realise you were on Claret St Wynonie.

Yep, Willow, right round the corner from the young Peter Britcliffe!