Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Heritage and History (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/)
-   -   Street Names (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/street-names-39784.html)

Bob Dobson 24-03-2009 15:51

Re: Street Names

I can hardly forget my next door neighbours in Persia Street. Delighted to hear from him ( and you) give my best to him and Kevin.

This 'tunnel' is a myth. 'Secret tunnels' such as this are said to exist all over the country. They are often associated with monks. Monks would be capable of digging and supporting small tunnels, but not one of a few miles long. In those medieval times monks were revered by society and travelled safely on what passed for roads. I heard the story of this tunnel when I was a lad - believable then but not any more. There's plenty who might believe it was there, but I'm not one of them now. Near where I live there's supposed to be a tunnel under a river. What tunnels there may be in Accrington - there's one close to behind the Red Lion on Abbey St -will be of much more modern construction and likely to have been used for coal or stone - getting, storage or drainage.
Retlaw will probably tell of his excavating this Abbey St/Grange Rd one.

Retlaw 24-03-2009 16:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dobson (Post 696087)
I can hardly forget my next door neighbours in Persia Street. Delighted to hear from him ( and you) give my best to him and Kevin.

This 'tunnel' is a myth. 'Secret tunnels' such as this are said to exist all over the country. They are often associated with monks. Monks would be capable of digging and supporting small tunnels, but not one of a few miles long. In those medieval times monks were revered by society and travelled safely on what passed for roads. I heard the story of this tunnel when I was a lad - believable then but not any more. There's plenty who might believe it was there, but I'm not one of them now. Near where I live there's supposed to be a tunnel under a river. What tunnels there may be in Accrington - there's one close to behind the Red Lion on Abbey St -will be of much more modern construction and likely to have been used for coal or stone - getting, storage or drainage.

I've already said my piece on the so called tunnels tunnels around Black Abbey St area in another thread on this subject. They NEVER existed.It would have needed ton of explosives to get through the rock under Accrington, and the monks did'nt have any.

Retlaw

accypete 14-10-2010 23:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dobson (Post 594926)
It's nothing like the Bond Street, London that you will be familiar with on your trips to the capital buying flash jewellery. See shurmer p13 J7 - on the Blackburn rd side of the railway linetop of Grimshaw St. Don't know if it's Dale or Lower Antley St there. I don't think there'll be any houses. If you walked around instead of riding in flashy cars and other motorised transport, you'dda known. Am so pleased I've told you summat you didn't know about Acc. Watch this space.

For the benefit of others - Atarah has contributed greatly to the card index of street names kept in the library.

It is where Dale Street and Lower Antley street split the Dale street club (Stephensons Memorial club) was on the the right corner as you walked up Grimshaw Street Dale street on the left.There was only about 5 houses on Bond street.......here's one I'd like to know who knows where Bond court was ?

Retlaw 15-10-2010 11:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by accypete (Post 852192)
It is where Dale Street and Lower Antley street split the Dale street club (Stephensons Memorial club) was on the the right corner as you walked up Grimshaw Street Dale street on the left.There was only about 5 houses on Bond street.......here's one I'd like to know who knows where Bond court was ?

Plantation St.
Retlaw.

davidf 28-10-2010 19:49

Can anyone please tell me if the section of Eagle Street from Cannon Street to Blackburn Road was ever called Station Road? And if it wasn't, was there ever a Station Road in Accy and if so where it was?
Thanks,
davidf

Retlaw 28-10-2010 20:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidf (Post 856176)
Can anyone please tell me if the section of Eagle Street from Cannon Street to Blackburn Road was ever called Station Road? And if it wasn't, was there ever a Station Road in Accy and if so where it was?
Thanks,
davidf

No, even back as far as the 1841 census it was called Eagle St.
Very few were refered to as roads then, 99% were called streets.
There is a Station Rd in Huncote. [and before any one says I've spelt Huncote wrong, forget it, that is the spelling in old documents].

Retlaw.

Atarah 28-10-2010 20:17

But we are talking "Present Tense" here Retlaw my pal, so use the up to date spelling - HUNCOAT.

Retlaw 28-10-2010 21:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atarah (Post 856187)
But we are talking "Present Tense" here Retlaw my pal, so use the up to date spelling - HUNCOAT.

NEVER, as far as I'm concerned its either Huncote or Huncoyte, and that present day spelling is because some one dropped a clanger.

All references in my files are spelt Huncote, as it should be.
Just checked and the place refered to was owned by William de Huncote, son of Elias de Billington, and signed over to the Monks of Kirkstall, as so named.

Retlaw.

Barrie Yates 28-10-2010 21:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dobson (Post 696087)

I seem to remember what looked like the start of a tunnel, stone lined for about 3 yards, from the cellars of Sparth House in the general direction of Whalley - that was when the Gravesons lived there in the '50s

Retlaw 28-10-2010 21:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 856216)
I seem to remember what looked like the start of a tunnel, stone lined for about 3 yards, from the cellars of Sparth House in the general direction of Whalley - that was when the Gravesons lived there in the '50s

The monks of Kirkstall had been long gone before any thing was built in that area. The monks were incapable of digging thro rock, and gunpowder wasn't known until after they left.
There was never more than a dozen os so in the Accington area at any one time, and the bolshies of Accrington killed three of them.

Retlaw.

garinda 29-10-2010 07:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 856218)
The monks of Kirkstall had been long gone before any thing was built in that area. The monks were incapable of digging thro rock, and gunpowder wasn't known until after they left.
There was never more than a dozen os so in the Accington area at any one time, and the bolshies of Accrington killed three of them.

Retlaw.

Mum's the word.

;)

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...y-36807-2.html

garinda 29-10-2010 07:50

Taking of local names, although not a street one, Altham was mentioned on the BBC TV news the other night.

The newsreader pronounced it as Alt-ham, which sounded wrong, as most people round here say Alth-am.

Thinking about it, he was right, as ham means homestead in Old English, and we've just changed it, because it rolls off the Lancashire tongue easier.

Any others?

Ozzel-twistle is one I can think of.

katex 29-10-2010 08:46

Always amused me when presenters on Radio, etc., pronounced Whalley as Wally.

garinda 29-10-2010 09:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 856283)

Yup, that's another.

I was born a Wally.

Ooops, in Wally

:p

jaysay 29-10-2010 09:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 856283)

Think that could be about right Kate:D