Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Heritage and History (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/)
-   -   Street Names (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/street-names-39784.html)

Bob Dobson 27-05-2008 19:58

Street Names

I am very interested in the reasons behind our street names. There is a card index file in the library ( Atarah has done a lot of work on this)

My question now isn't a 'reasons' one, I want to know when Lime Street became Lime Road. It was sometime between 1930 and 1950.

cashman 27-05-2008 22:10

Re: Street Names

question, after 1950 did part of it not remain lime street for years after? used to have a junior school friend that lived on Lime Rd n could be wrong but summat tells me it did.:confused:

Bob Dobson 28-05-2008 08:24

I don't know the answer to that. I have checked my 1951 Barrett's directory and only Lime Rd is listed. If I had time, I would go through the council minutes to see when the change was authorised. There is probably a former resident , retired postman or Town hall worker with this knowledge.

WillowTheWhisp 28-05-2008 11:05

As well as 'when' it would be interesting to know 'why'.

Similarly does anyone know when Cromwell Street became Cromwell Avenue and why?

Less 28-05-2008 11:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp (Post 582752)

Perhaps someone wanted to sell their house and a house on Cromwell Avenue sounds better?
:D

katex 28-05-2008 12:53

Quote:

I always understood an avenue was a tree lined street ?

Maybe it was after they planted trees down there ?

slinky 28-05-2008 12:57

Quote:

When was it Cromwell street Willow?? what year did it change??

I have only ever known it to be Cromwell Ave

katex 28-05-2008 13:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by slinky (Post 582896)
When was it Cromwell street Willow?? what year did it change??

I have only ever known it to be Cromwell Ave

Me too Slinky, and have a good few years on you and Willow ...:D

Used to go to one of my Mum's friends who lived there, probably from the age of about 5 years old (60 blooming years ago !!), and then up to school everyday .. so must have been at least before 1949 ?

Actually, have just looked in a local book and it obviously states named after National Heroes (Cromwell), but does say ... 'formerly Cromwell Street' so Willow is correct. No reference to date change though.

Can't ever remember Lime Road being Lime Street though.

Bob Dobson 28-05-2008 19:36

There has long been a perception that road is 'better'than street, and avenue even 'better'. About 100yrs ago, Mary Ann Street was changed to Milton Street (off Castle St) through a residents' campaign (it was probably originally called Mary Ann after a Peel daughter.)
Thwaites STREET , Ossie, was called Bismarck Street before local pressure got it changed at the time of anti-German
feelings about WW1 time, even though, in 1915 Thwaites ROAD was laid out through farm land owned by that family.
Belfield Road was called Robert Nuttall Street at one time, even though there was also a Nuttall Street.Many of the streets up Woodnook are named after the Royds family's connections.They owned the land the streets are on, so had sosme say in the street names.

ossylass 28-05-2008 19:46

Nostalgic thread wander - we bought an end terraced house in Cromwell Avenue in 1979 for the princely sum of £1400! The Avenue was lined with beautiful flowering cherry trees in those days.

slinky 28-05-2008 19:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by ossylass (Post 583228)
Nostalgic thread wander - we bought an end terraced house in Cromwell Avenue in 1979 for the princely sum of £1400! The Avenue was lined with beautiful flowering cherry trees in those days.

They still have some nice blossom tree's on now from what i can remember.

WillowTheWhisp 28-05-2008 22:46

I don't know how long ago it was called Cromwell Street but I do remember my mother saying she remembered it being called that. Now she was born in 1911 so it was sometime since then that it changed.

WillowTheWhisp 29-05-2008 09:23

Someone has suggested to me that it was when the High School was built and it was renamed and lined with trees to provide an impressive approach to the then front door. Sounds good but I don't know if it's true or not.

cashman 29-05-2008 09:31

that sounds logical willow.:confused:

Bob Dobson 30-05-2008 21:17

If that is the case, and I think it likely, then it would be 1939, or just before, as that was the the High School opened. These changes can probably be found in the minutes of the various Corporation committes. Union Road, Ossie is another - it was Warren Lane ( I think). Union was probably to mark that Ossie was proud to be in the Blackburn Poor Law Union. Union Street Accy may also be named for that reason, or may be so called as it could be commemmorating the unifying of Old and New Accrington.