Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Heritage and History (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/)
-   -   The area I grew up in. Woodnook (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/the-area-i-grew-up-in-woodnook-45952.html)

Atarah 02-03-2009 10:42

The area I grew up in. Woodnook

2 Attachment(s)
Hi, here are a couple of old views of my childhood area.
You must remember Littlefairs newsagents. I used to help one of the paperboys on his route around the area (Arnold Hymes). I vaguely remember an old lady who lived in, think it was Angle Court - it was through the entry facing The Star Pub (it was a quick way through to Clement Street) - she used to go to the pub with an old white handled jug, and get her beer for the night in it.

Atarah

wadey 02-03-2009 14:55

Re: The area I grew up in. Woodnook

Great photos, will you put them in The Gallery?

Retlaw 02-03-2009 15:09

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Atarah (Post 687679)
You must remember Littlefairs newsagents. I used to help one of the paperboys on his route around the area (Arnold Hymes). I vaguely remember an old lady who lived in, think it was Angle Court - it was through the entry facing The Star Pub (it was a quick way through to Clement Street) - she used to go to the pub with an old white handled jug, and get her beer for the night in it.

Atarah

Your last view of the Star Inn.
Remember it.

Retlaw.

cashman 02-03-2009 15:15

cheers atarah n retlaw great pics, the star was n owd watering hole of mine mid 60s.:D when Thwaites did have a good pint.:)

Retlaw 02-03-2009 16:05

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Atarah (Post 687679)

Atarah

Another view of Wellington St.
Retlaw.

Atarah 02-03-2009 18:47

Hi Retlaw, thanks for photo of when The Star was just about to be demolished. Arrgh, brought back lovely memories of my childhood. The shop at the opposite end to the pub was last owned by a Mr Cooper if I remember correctly. I remember as a kid going down past the side of his shop, it led you to Grange Street. On the corner of this street was Tommy Murray's butchers. Many a time over the years I have wished for that shop to be back!
The before and after views of Welly Bob Street are sad to see, I much prefer the "before" view, even though well before my time. Anyone remember "before" The Poplar Working Mens club was built? I seem to recall rather a nice house, the front of the house NOT on the street side, and an elderly lady who went to Christ Church Street living there??????

Atarah

ossy kid 02-03-2009 18:48

Where did you live Atarah? I lived on the corner of Nelson and Napier in the early 50s. My grandparents lived on Grange St and I used to visit and old chap on the corner of Wellington st. and South st. called Jack. We used to play cricket somewhere at the back of the fire station between some old garages. Seems like a lifetime ago.

cherokee 02-03-2009 18:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 687769)
Another view of Wellington St.
Retlaw.

Blimey how times have changed

Atarah 02-03-2009 18:56

The area I grew up in. Woodnook

South Street - thats where I grew up!

Atarah

wadey 02-03-2009 21:45

Great thread, didn't they build the Police garage between Grange Lane and Wellington Street?

Retlaw 02-03-2009 21:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by wadey (Post 687907)
Great thread, didn't they build the Police garage between Grange Lane and Wellington Street?

Yes in Bugle Yard, there use to be a joiners workshop there before they built the garage.

Retlaw

Retlaw 02-03-2009 22:17

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Atarah (Post 687842)
Hi Retlaw, thanks for photo of when The Star was just about to be demolished. Arrgh, brought back lovely memories of my childhood. The shop at the opposite end to the pub was last owned by a Mr Cooper if I remember correctly. I remember as a kid going down past the side of his shop, it led you to Grange Street. On the corner of this street was Tommy Murray's butchers. Many a time over the years I have wished for that shop to be back!
The before and after views of Welly Bob Street are sad to see, I much prefer the "before" view, even though well before my time. Anyone remember "before" The Poplar Working Mens club was built? I seem to recall rather a nice house, the front of the house NOT on the street side, and an elderly lady who went to Christ Church Street living there??????

Atarah

That butchers shop were actually Kemp and Murray's. Tom Kemp had West Farm in the post and pre war period.
Heres another reminder of the past and present.

Retlaw.

cashman 02-03-2009 22:25

Fabulous photo of grange lane pre 1930, never seen that before.:) Did the Tramlines not run down there though?:confused:

Retlaw 03-03-2009 00:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 687919)
Fabulous photo of grange lane pre 1930, never seen that before.:) Did the Tramlines not run down there though?:confused:

Nay coffin dodger.
Why the eck would tramlines leave Manchester Rd to go down Grange Lane, where would they be going, there were nowt at bottom, only Sykes St, which is now called Spring Gardens. The original Spring Gardens was in Abbey St. If you compare the two photo's you'l see where the bottom floor of the houses on the right, were lost when Grange Lane were made up for the Fire Station.
I have some photo's of the inside of one of those cellars
Took them about 20 years ago when the owner was doing the property up.
Retlaw.

cherokee 03-03-2009 00:11

Im loving this thread with the then and now pics .. what great photoes of grange lane.
anyone got any of the cottages on manchester road. My grandad used to live in one of them