Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Heritage and History (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/)
-   -   Old Hotels in Accrington (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/old-hotels-in-accrington-46512.html)

Atarah 27-03-2009 21:52

Old Hotels in Accrington

2 Attachment(s)
What a huge hotel this is, I believe no longer in use??? What a shame. If walls could talk! I believe that once some of the artists stayed here, who were performing at The Hippodrome? Anyone know of other places they stayed at?

cashman 27-03-2009 21:58

Re: Old Hotels in Accrington

sorry dont know atarah, but can remember Kendalls had a good eating place just down the step on the front.:) had forgot about that, ta fer the memory.:)

MargaretR 27-03-2009 22:14

I think it was used to house disabled young adults at one time

jaysay 28-03-2009 10:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 697596)
sorry dont know atarah, but can remember Kendalls had a good eating place just down the step on the front.:) had forgot about that, ta fer the memory.:)

Ya cashy I'd forgot about that too, used to go in there when I was an happyrentice :D

BERNADETTE 28-03-2009 20:55

When my sister got married her husband to be was in the Welsh Guards. The lads who were doing the guard of honour stayed there:)

West Ender 29-03-2009 20:47

The father, a prominent local businessman, of a good friend of mine lived there for some years after he left his first wife and before he was able to marry my friend's mother. I can't, obviously, give any clues as to who he was as it would not be fair on any surviving family members still in the area.

My friend and I used to go to Accrington Baths and we would look, from the bus, into Kendal's dining room to see if we could see her daddy and wave like mad if we did. This was in the early 1950s when Kendal's was a very good commercial hotel and my friend's parents' situation was "unusual" to say the least.

At about the age of 10 I didn't think it much of a problem that her daddy lived there. I just accepted the fact that he was a very nice man, I got to know him very well, and didn't live with her and her mum until she was 11. :rolleyes:

wadey 30-03-2009 10:06

When you think about it most "pubs" would have rooms for the traveller and many had come from "coaching houses" others were linked to canals, roads and railways

jaysay 30-03-2009 11:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by wadey (Post 698301)
When you think about it most "pubs" would have rooms for the traveller and many had come from "coaching houses" others were linked to canals, roads and railways

At one time the watering hole frequented by Mike, Less and Beni, used to take paying guest, not sure if they still do, as did the Regency Bar (think it was called the Commercial in those days)

cashman 30-03-2009 11:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 698319)
At one time the watering hole frequented by Mike, Less and Beni, used to take paying guest, not sure if they still do, as did the Regency Bar (think it was called the Commercial in those days)

so did the "Imperial" our kid once booked in fer the accy fortnight.:D

BERNADETTE 30-03-2009 11:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 698323)
so did the "Imperial" our kid once booked in fer the accy fortnight.:D

So did the "Broadway":)

johnny c 29-09-2009 23:51

the imperial is still taking in guests mainly out of town contractors, who come back everytime they are working round the towns, its clean comfy and cheap and cheerful

johnny c 29-09-2009 23:53

its a waste of a good building

flashy 30-09-2009 07:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 697605)
I think it was used to house disabled young adults at one time

no, that was the house just over the road, my dad used to work there

US Angel 09-10-2009 04:16

I am trying to place where it was ? was it near the train station?

beechy 09-10-2009 12:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by US Angel (Post 751836)
I am trying to place where it was ? was it near the train station?

it was almost opposite the Spread Eagle pub on Blackburn Rd