Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Heritage and History (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/)
-   -   Bletchley park (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/bletchley-park-54101.html)

Mellitus 20-07-2010 21:21

Bletchley park

I have just joined to answer a thread about my Uncle Leo Hughes - under Accrington Observer link.
However- I wonder if anyone can help me out. Leo worked at Bletchley park- he mentioned ths when my sister moved to Milton Keynes years ago. I have this hidden fantasy that he was a codebreaker or a translator from the German text into the English. He could speak German, French, Flemish, Latin and was an Officer.I know he was in Germany just before the war broke out as he heard Hitler speak but refused to salute him - and this was frowned upon and soon aftrer he returned to England.I know his German was very fluent as he told me that someone asked him which part of Germany did he come from.
My mum - his sister, said that he never talked about what he did.I have googled his name to no avail.
How do I find out what he did? It could be that he was only the caretaker !

cashman 20-07-2010 21:27

Re: Bletchley park

that sounds like a tough un mate, ya could try writing to Bletchley Park, asking if they can enlighten ya? they must have records, question is will they disclose anything. best of luck.:)http://www.bletchleypark.org.uk/ dunno if that helps?

Tealeaf 20-07-2010 21:46

There is no official list of personnel who served at BP 1939-1945 in the public domain.

shillelagh 20-07-2010 21:51

had a nosy at that link that cashy dearest put up .. and it got a veterans roll of honour .

Roll of Honour

Tealeaf 20-07-2010 22:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by shillelagh (Post 830264)
had a nosy at that link that cashy dearest put up .. and it got a veterans roll of honour .

Roll of Honour

This just confirms my earlier post...this 'Roll of Honour' is simply an amateur attempt in puttting tograther a list. It's based on heresay, innuendo, part records, biographies and any old rubbish you care to mention. Best ignored.

Mellitus 20-07-2010 22:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 830257)
that sounds like a tough un mate, ya could try writing to Bletchley Park, asking if they can enlighten ya? they must have records, question is will they disclose anything. best of luck.:)Bletchley Park dunno if that helps?

Thanks cashman for the link- will look at that tomorrow. This site is getting a bit addictive....

What does N.L.T.B.G.Y.D. mean?

The last post explains why I cannot find a trace of him. Unless he used a different name?

Mellitus 21-07-2010 06:35

Additional information re Leo Hughes.
He was a Benedictine monk and was at Buckfast Abbey under Brother Adam (?)- a world expert on bee keeping. He may have gone to a monastery in Germany - he lost his calling and came out of the order. He volunteered for the war(which seems odd). He went to Sandhurst and took an exam - became an Officer I have a very detailed typewritten 'diary' of his time in France and Belgium from Jan - end May 1939 including a black and white map- e.g ' 17th May -Orders to be ready for withdrawal. Bn. crossed with 5th Manch.R. and became split in two. Half under C.O. arrived at Bouvignes. Half under 2 i/c arrived at Flines (15km northwest of Douiai) Btn detached from 42nd Div and attached to Macforce...' 21st May.....'Grusson...Tressin-Asoq area.. pill boxes locked... occupied abandoned house and fed section from the fresh food and vegetables left behind. C.O. came in daily to listen to BBC 1 o'clock news , which was not much help to us. C.O. seemed slightly envious of the good dinners we were able to make...' There is very detailed info up to being on Bray dunes (La Panne) for evacuation- 130 casualties to the Btn Fri 1st Jun .

This detailed account seems at odds to absolutely NO records of his time at Bletchley park. I thought he didn't talk about the war because of some of the atrocities he must have witnessed.

jaysay 21-07-2010 08:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mellitus (Post 830255)
I have just joined to answer a thread about my Uncle Leo Hughes - under Accrington Observer link.
However- I wonder if anyone can help me out. Leo worked at Bletchley park- he mentioned this when my sister moved to Milton Keynes years ago. I have this hidden fantasy that he was a codebreaker or a translator from the German text into the English. He could speak German, French, Flemish, Latin and was an Officer.I know he was in Germany just before the war broke out as he heard Hitler speak but refused to salute him - and this was frowned upon and soon aftrer he returned to England.I know his German was very fluent as he told me that someone asked him which part of Germany did he come from.
My mum - his sister, said that he never talked about what he did.I have googled his name to no avail.
How do I find out what he did? It could be that he was only the caretaker !

Was your Uncle Leo also a Funeral Undertaker after the war and did he have a brother called Tony who was a woodwork teacher at Holy Family RC Secondary School Accy

Mellitus 21-07-2010 09:37

Yes- see my answer under the Accrington Observer thread. My grandad Joseph Hughes was a carpenter before he was an undertaker and made furniture -also a lot of the pews and carvings in churches around here. The oak for the coffins was seasoned for 7 years - that's quality!
Uncle Leo was very good at calligraphy- probably from his time when he was a monk. I think he lectured on this topic and there was some of his work in the catholic church which was on Blackburn rd. Leo had quite a checquered history!

jaysay 21-07-2010 09:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mellitus (Post 830336)
Yes- see my answer under the Accrington Observer thread. My grandad Joseph Hughes was a carpenter before he was an undertaker and made furniture -also a lot of the pews and carvings in churches around here. The oak for the coffins was seasoned for 7 years - that's quality!
Uncle Leo was very good at calligraphy- probably from his time when he was a monk. I think he lectured on this topic and there was some of his work in the catholic church which was on Blackburn rd. Leo had quite a checquered history!

Thanks saw your post under Accy Obs after I'd posted on this one

entwisi 22-07-2010 09:03

A friend of mine who goes regularly tells me there is full archives there which can be checked as he looked up his mothers aunt who was also there at the time.

Hope this helps

Valleyprint 14-06-2019 19:00

Hello, I read your interesting post.
Leo Hughes was also my Uncle, my father's name; Oswald Gerard Hughes died at young age of 33, at the same week that I was born September 1947.
My brother Glenn (he died 1993) and myself would visit Uncle Leo once a year, usually just after New Year.
Monk Street seamed to us a happy time, finishing off the evening's celebrations with Uncle Leo's home-made cakes. He was well-informed with the latest gadgets available, a stamp collector, and very literate in all matters, but also a fastidious time keeper, I remember I delayed my brother on one occasion by 15 minutes, to which Uncle Leo commented; ''did you know you were coming this evening''. I replied ''yes'' ''Then you have no excuse for your delay'' came his reply.
From then on we would always arrive at Monk Street precisely on time, in fact, my brother would go further to the point, of waiting for 30 seconds or so, by the front door, look at his wrist watch, and ring the bell at the precise moment at 7:00pm.
Time is the essence, it certainly was. An evening with Uncle Leo was always a treat.
Best wishes. Your cousin Darrell
PS. could you please reply, I'm not this system is working correctly.