Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Heritage and History (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/)
-   -   Warner Street, Accrington (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/warner-street-accrington-58526.html)

Atarah 13-07-2011 15:17

Warner Street, Accrington

9 Attachment(s)
Warner Street! What a "belting" little street this is. At the moment there are some really good shops, well worth a look.

Built c1821-22, was a new thoroughfare and referred to as "New Street" for a long time afterwards. Before it was built, there was no carriage-way from Abbey Street and the S.E. part of town, to St James Church, other than going down Grange Lane and Black Abbey. None of these were considered safe, i.e. for walking purposes. According to old tales, Mr Thomas Hargreaves called his foreman at Broad Oak together and put forward the idea of a new street. He offered to build two houses and suggested that they might like to consider building their own houses there also. Unfortunatley Mr Hargreaves did not live to see the scheme finished. The street was apparently built with the aid of a local Building Society. The roadway was maintained by the owners of the properties, and for a long time a toll of 3d was charged for vehicles using the street. At that time, it was said to be the best thoroughfare in the town, in fact it was the only street properly flagged and paved.

A very early resident of Warner Street was Joseph Broughton. He became the local clogger and many of his ancestors became important folk in this town. Broughtons bathrooms (who had large premises at the top of Church Street were all connected).
The Warner Arms pub at the bottom of the street was a popular drinking place (always known as The Warner's Arms, in the plural) until Matthew Brown's took it over c1990. Think their signwriters just got carried away and missed the "s" off.

Many established shops used to be in Warner Street. I can vaguely recall Key Joe's - Ashworth's Furniture shop (the couple who owned that retired around 1994. They started off selling second hand goods before expanding into new furniture). Then we had Hyde Bros. shop, which I easily remember -they sold envelopes, paper bags, string, etc. Taken over fairly recently but the new owners seem to have gone more into wedding balloons etc. although I believe they still sell paper and envelopes. Then there was the well known Wild's butchers, which also sold cooked meat and was a delicatessen, also known for his Black puddings.

We must all remember Bill Tattersalls Typewriter shop. This was of course well before the times of computers. He and his trusty engineer Les Allen must have dealt with most companies in Accrington. As soon as your typewriter broke down, or you needed new ribbons, you rang Tattersalls! Alas Bill passed away quite a few years ago and the shop has stood empty for years. Now refurbished by his son I believe, looks as though new trade about to move in. Then there was a smashing shop called Retro I think, selling clothing from the 40's and 50's. Nice shop, but alas, now gone.

Higher up we have the long established Porter Bros. (paints and wallpapers) - also on the top block Marsdens Leather Shop. Across from it The Glory Hole, a "natty" little shop, run by Bev and her hubby. She was a hairdresser in the same shop years many years ago.

Few random photos below

All in all, a street which must have a lot of history. Anyone here have any memories of the shops/shopkeepers?

Balbus 13-07-2011 15:34

Re: Warner Street, Accrington

I always understood the stocks to have been on Cross Street, not, as stated on the plaque, in front of the Warner's Arms, where there wouldn't really have been room for them.
Additionally, I was told that the building which used to be the Borough Arms on Cross Street (now shops), had at one time been the police station.
As far as Warner Street is concerned, there also used to be Bodens' pie shop and cafe, Albert Bacigalupo's barbers shop, and at one time a dentist's operated by an ex-miner.
Babyland (toy shop) was on the corner of Warner Street and Abbey Street.

garinda 13-07-2011 15:36

They have a website, so you can see the businesses there now.

WARNER STREET ACCRINGTON WEB - the warner street website.

It is well worth a visit.

garinda 13-07-2011 15:38

Sadly Contemporary Flowers are no longer at number 35, they closed last week.

Barrie Yates 13-07-2011 15:55

There was also an aquarist shop - Baldry's I think the name was. It was the only one in town and I spent a fair portion of my spending money in there - early '50s

Mariam82 13-07-2011 18:39

love this site for all the local information. Accrington library printed me a wonderful photo of the bottom of warner st showing the warner's arms. In 1901 my ancestor had a draper's shop at no 3 - alice cavanagh.

wadey 13-07-2011 19:44

Great photos Atarah, thanks

Atarah 13-07-2011 19:51

Balbus said "As far as Warner Street is concerned, there also used to be Bodens' pie shop and cafe"

I THINK Bill Tattersalls took over Bodens pie shop premises.

Bob Dobson 13-07-2011 21:05

In the 1951 directory it is shown as The Warner Arms. Yes Atarah, a fascinating street.Thjere was a murder in it and a major fire.

cashman 13-07-2011 21:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atarah (Post 918657)
Balbus said "As far as Warner Street is concerned, there also used to be Bodens' pie shop and cafe"

I THINK Bill Tattersalls took over Bodens pie shop premises.

that musta been before he had the shop on corner of the little back then?:confused:

Retlaw 13-07-2011 21:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 918613)
There was also an aquarist shop - Baldry's I think the name was. It was the only one in town and I spent a fair portion of my spending money in there - early '50s

Mrs Baldry's was a pet shop, (middle of the top block same side as Porters Paints) sold every thing for pets, including tropical fish, she had a minor bird in a cage in the shop, which could talk the back leg off a donkey. Her husband was an electrician.
Retlaw

Retlaw 13-07-2011 21:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balbus (Post 918608)
I always understood the stocks to have been on Cross Street, not, as stated on the plaque, in front of the Warner's Arms, where there wouldn't really have been room for them.
Additionally, I was told that the building which used to be the Borough Arms on Cross Street (now shops), had at one time been the police station.
As far as Warner Street is concerned, there also used to be Bodens' pie shop and cafe, Albert Bacigalupo's barbers shop, and at one time a dentist's operated by an ex-miner.
Babyland (toy shop) was on the corner of Warner Street and Abbey Street.

The Borough Arms in Cross St, started its life as Dugdales Charity, built in 1843, it didn't become the Borough Arms until after 1896. Joseph Booth, one of the first Bobby's in Accrington, lived in that building long before it became a public house.

Retlaw.

Retlaw 13-07-2011 21:41

[quote=Balbus;918608]I always understood the stocks to have been on Cross Street, not, as stated on the plaque, in front of the Warner's Arms, where there wouldn't really have been room for them.
The stocks were across the road from the Warner Arms, a bit to the left of the Pals Memorial.
Retlaw.

Atarah 13-07-2011 21:57

[B][quote=RetlawThe stocks were across the road from the Warner Arms, a bit to the left of the Pals Memorial[ [/B]

How do you know may I ask? :confused:

Atarah 13-07-2011 22:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dobson (Post 918677)
In the 1951 directory it is shown as The Warner Arms. Yes Atarah, a fascinating street.Thjere was a murder in it and a major fire.

Yep Bob I know about the murder of Christopher Hindle but ....... a fire doesnt ring any immediate bells?