Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Heritage and History (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/)
-   -   Wanted information on john blake ltd of oxford street, accrington (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/wanted-information-on-john-blake-ltd-of-oxford-street-accrington-59039.html)

rivetlad 27-08-2011 21:59

Wanted information on john blake ltd of oxford street, accrington

I am an Industrial Historian and published author. Currently, I am seeking material and hopefully pictures for a magazine article I intend to write on the history and products of famous Accrington Engineering firm, John Blake Ltd, makers of hydrams - water pumps. This firm, established 1820, until moving to Clayton-le-Moors in 1970 was based in Oxford Street, Accrington.

Bob Dobson 28-08-2011 08:43

Re: Wanted information on john blake ltd of oxford street, accrington

Send me a PM with your full name and email address and I will put you in touch with a family member. Please remind our members about the firm's most famous product and where it was located. I think Accrington Local Studies Library have a Blake file which may include a copy of the patents they held.I won't be abale to act on this until late Monday or early Tuesday.

rivetlad 30-08-2011 07:47

Irishman John Blake-INVENTOR OF THE RAM PUMP
When during the 1830s, the illiterate and penniless Irish migrants, John Blake and his wife Bridget arrived looking for work in the bustling cotton town of Accrington, fortunately they were both quickly taken on in the Carding Room of one of the numerous local mills. Times were bad, with job security non-existant. The young couple, parents to several young children that required feeding and clothing , due to the ups and downs of the Lancashire cotton trade frequently found themselves having to look not only for work, but also for lodgings all around the district.
However, despite the Blake family's dire day to day living--so typical of the time, good fortune later came their way when their eldest son, also named John,, having the utmost desire to better his own and his family's living conditions, established a small engineering works workshop in the town, the main product being the manufacture of a simple yet highly effective water pump of his own design. Eventually, this ingenious and efficient water pump would become nationally renowned; thus " BLAKE'S HYDRAMS were manufactured in Accrington until 1970.
The above are only the basic jottings for my forthcoming magazine article; for its completion I require more information together with copies of historical photographs of John Blake's works and the Hydram water pumps. Can anyone assist me?

Retlaw 30-08-2011 14:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by rivetlad (Post 929927)
When during the 1830s, the illiterate and penniless Irish migrants, John Blake and his wife Bridget arrived looking for work in the bustling cotton town of Accrington, fortunately they were both quickly taken on in the Carding Room of one of the numerous local mills. Times were bad, with job security non-existant. The young couple, parents to several young children that required feeding and clothing , due to the ups and downs of the Lancashire cotton trade frequently found themselves having to look not only for work, but also for lodgings all around the district.
However, despite the Blake family's dire day to day living--so typical of the time, good fortune later came their way when their eldest son, also named John,, having the utmost desire to better his own and his family's living conditions, established a small engineering works workshop in the town, the main product being the manufacture of a simple yet highly effective water pump of his own design. Eventually, this ingenious and efficient water pump would become nationally renowned; thus " BLAKE'S HYDRAMS were manufactured in Accrington until 1970.
The above are only the basic jottings for my forthcoming magazine article; for its completion I require more information together with copies of historical photographs of John Blake's works and the Hydram water pumps. Can anyone assist me?

Blakes Ram Pumps are now made by Allspeeds at Clayton.
Think I've read some where that an original Blakes Ram was installed at the taj mahal in india, & is still working.
Retlaw.

JEFF 31-08-2011 15:19

1 Attachment(s)
Found this advert

Attachment 18343

Balbus 31-08-2011 15:30

I have a large aneroid barometer and thermometer made by J. Blake of Accrington.
Judge Andrew Blake (Preston Crown Court) is a member of the family.

Pudwoppa 31-08-2011 19:39

3 Attachment(s)
Don't have my references to hand, but if memory serves:

The word 'Hydram' (now synonymous with Hydraulic Rams) was originally a trademark of Blakes. He didn't invent the Hydraulic Ram, but he did create a more successful/efficient version of it which he patented. The rams were renowned internationally, and were used in the gardens of the Taj Mahal (as Retlaw correctly said) and many other grand buildings around the world.

Gordon Booth 31-08-2011 19:57

Allspeeds still sell them and they don't look much different than Blakes design.
First invented in the 1700's by a Frenchman, Montgolfier and as I remember his design didn't look much different but Blakes developed it.
Good engineering, not many machines give you something for nothing!

lynne325 08-11-2011 16:31

I have a cd of old photos of someone who I believe to be John Blake on a Grand Tour of Europe. I would ideally like to give them to a descendant of John Blake.

Bob Dobson 08-11-2011 16:46

I will contact the lady I know and report back ,Lynne.

Bob Dobson 08-11-2011 19:09

I have sent Lynne a PM ( at least I thinik I have) with the lady's phone number

cmee 09-11-2011 10:03

Hi Lynne, Bob alerted me to your offer of a CD. I am the lady (!) he refers to - and I am most interested in this CD. John Blake was my great-grandfather. Do please phone me if Bob has given you my number, otherwise send me a PM.

cmee 09-11-2011 10:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by rivetlad (Post 929927)

I have only just seen this thread. I would be happy to help with family history - your assumption that John Blake's parents came to Accrington is not correct - and I have quite a bit of material on the Blake firm. John Blake was my great-grandfather, and Hubert his son my grandfather.

Philip100 04-12-2012 12:33

We have a disused water pump made by John Blake Ltd in our well - its No. 591 - a very heavy duty piece of kit.

Bob Dobson 04-12-2012 15:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philip100 (Post 1030610)
We have a disused water pump made by John Blake Ltd in our well - its No. 591 - a very heavy duty piece of kit.

Philp If it's disused, please consider giving it to the recently-formed museum collection at present housed in the market hall but soon to move.