Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Heritage and History (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/)
-   -   The Pleck? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/the-pleck-59739.html)

cashman 02-11-2011 14:12

The Pleck?

As i mentioned before in another thread - the lane which ran down from Whalley rd to Bull Bridge, which is Kenyon St into Weir St, was always called the "Pleck" i never knew it as owt else, would anyone know where n how that name originated? cos its set me wondering n sure got me beat.:confused:

MargaretR 02-11-2011 14:40

Re: The Pleck?

I found this
pleck - definition and meaning
...a plot of ground
...which makes sense when you think of Pleckgate in Blackburn being the gate to a plot of ground

cashman 02-11-2011 14:45

That could be the answer Margaret,cos was much land/ground on the right going down from whalley rd.

cashman 02-11-2011 14:50

Which poses another question, the sheep n cattle were always herded down Maudsley St n then down the Pleck to the slaughterhouse, wonder which farm/farms they came from?

jaysay 02-11-2011 18:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 944317)
Which poses another question, the sheep n cattle were always herded down Maudsley St n then down the Pleck to the slaughterhouse, wonder which farm/farms they came from?

I can remember once seeing sheep being herded through Accy came down Sandy Lane cashy can remember just when that was though

susie123 02-11-2011 19:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 944297)
As i mentioned before in another thread - the lane which ran down from Whalley rd to Bull Bridge, which is Kenyon St into Weir St, was always called the "Pleck" i never knew it as owt else, would anyone know where n how that name originated? cos its set me wondering n sure got me beat.:confused:

I have a book of old Accy photos one of which shows Pleck Brook 1937. Looks like a culvert is being built. It says the stream follows the line of Water Street to which it gives a name, crossing under Whalley Road to join the Hyndburn under Broadway.

I found this
pleck - definition and meaning
...a plot of ground
...which makes sense when you think of Pleckgate in Blackburn being the gate to a plot of ground

Sorry to be pedantic Margaret but the term 'gate' used in street names derives from the Viking word 'gata' meaning street. Still seen today in the Danish word gade.

Which poses another question, the sheep n cattle were always herded down Maudsley St n then down the Pleck to the sla ughterhouse, wonder which farm/farms they came from?

Cashy the Ashman book I mentioned yesterday when we started this discussion on another thread says that the road went up Maudsley Street to Pennyhouse Lane then across what is now the cemetery to Lower Brownbirks and into Huncoat so I guess the animals came from farms in Huncoat. The old building on onthe corner of Bolton Avenus and Burnley Road was once Brownbirks Farm before it was engulfed by a council estate. I know this because my family used to own it.

I do remember sheep being herded along Hyndburn Road and into the old burial ground next to the corn mill while waiting their turn at the abbatoir opposite. Again the Ashman book has a picture.

Cheers

Sue

cashman 02-11-2011 19:33

Ah now i remember Huncoyt is right susie, tis a long time since i was a kid, but can remember the guy wi the stick n the dog tellin me when i asked, cheers fer that.:)

Atarah 02-11-2011 23:17

do remember sheep being herded along Hyndburn Road and into the old burial ground next to the corn mill while waiting their turn at the abbatoir opposite. Again the Ashman book has a picture

The book is by Brian ASHTON

susie123 03-11-2011 09:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atarah (Post 944457)
do remember sheep being herded along Hyndburn Road and into the old burial ground next to the corn mill while waiting their turn at the abbatoir opposite. Again the Ashman book has a picture

You are quite right Atarah, don't know where I got the name Ashman from, as I had the book in front of me. Possibly because I was talking to Cashman at the time. Put it down to a senior moment.http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/i...cons/icon8.gif

claytonx 03-11-2011 10:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atarah (Post 944457)

I remember that now, you mention it jogging memories

cashman 03-11-2011 10:31

Think that owd graveyard was the "Macphela"?

Atarah 03-11-2011 10:48

Absolutely correct Cashman. It was indeed a very old Baptist Chapel known as Machpelah. It was on Hyndburn Rd, near to where we once had the old gasworks (Electricity St area of town). Hyndburn Road used to be Hagg Lane in past times. I dont remember the chapel, just the grounds full of lovely old "table top" graves. The graveyard was known as "God's Acre". Many old inhabitants apparently referred to it as "The Baptists in Gas House Lane" (being the area where the gas works also was). And yes, there's where the poor sheep and cattle had their last nibble of grass before "being taken across the road".

Homebase on Hyndburn Road now built on the same site.

cashman 03-11-2011 10:57

Remember that area pretty well, next to the graveyard was "Hitchens" grocery supplier,had a couple of mates used to "Second Man" on the wagons.:)

susie123 03-11-2011 11:15

Nearly right Cashy it was Machpelah Baptist graveyard. I guess the chapel was long gone by the twentieth century as the www says about its records: Accrington- Machpelah Baptist Baptisms-1785-1837- Burials -1816-1844.

Machpelah is the Hebrew name for the Cave of the Patriarchs in Hebron reputedly the burial place of three biblical couples: (1) Abraham and Sarah; (2) Isaac and Rebecca; (3) Jacob and Leah.

Can't you tell I just love digging out useless information?

Bob Dobson 05-11-2011 23:29

Retlaw tells a great story about the coffins being taken out of Macpelah. I will let him tell us.,