Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Heritage and History (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/)
-   -   New Book; Edwardian Accrington Observed (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/new-book-edwardian-accrington-observed-59993.html)

Bob Dobson 23-11-2011 20:05

New Book; Edwardian Accrington Observed

This is a book just published. It is edited by Richard Crossley, whose family owned the Observer. It's 266pages are made up of the articles appearinbg in the Observer each Saturday under the title 'Ladies' Chain', edited by 'Stella' In the period 1901-10, 'Stella' was the editor's daughter, Florrie Crossley.

This is not juist for today's ladies. Blokes will enjoy it too, as it is local history from a different standpoint. Some will see it as 'middle class', where ladies wore gowns and not frocks. It gives a look into the past that I have not come acrioss before in any depth, as althiough I have looked at hundreds of old Observers, I have not previously read many 'Ladies' Chains'

Probably on sale in the library and the Town Hall @ £11.95. Ordered by post with an accompanying cheque, there are no postage charges; Send to
Richard Crossley, 'Woodnook' Moor Lane, Whalley BB7 9JO ([email protected])

steve2qec 23-11-2011 20:49

Re: New Book; Edwardian Accrington Observed

I first came across the term Ladies' Chain when I was trying to find info about Bank House (where I live is the old site of BH) Still not sure of the connection, maybe Lady Higham was a member of the Ladies' Chain.

Bob Dobson 23-11-2011 21:02

I don't know how the name first cropped up. With a bit of luck, Accyweb's 'First Lady' (Atarah) will know and respond.

cashman 23-11-2011 21:22

Ta Bob,will tell some family mug,to get it me fer xmas.:D

Retlaw 23-11-2011 22:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 951176)
Ta Bob,will tell some family mug,to get it me fer xmas.:D

Are you a masochist or what, who the ell wants to read that tripe, woman about women, giving them bright ideas. Go to library put one of the old observers into the micro viewer, and have a read, then see if you want to read the rest.

Retlaw

cashman 23-11-2011 22:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 951203)
Are you a masochist or what, who the ell wants to read that tripe, woman about women, giving them bright ideas. Go to library put one of the old observers into the micro viewer, and have a read, then see if you want to read the rest.

Retlaw

No am just interested to see if they are Dumb or Dumber back then.:dflam: but the Librarys a good idea.

Pudwoppa 24-11-2011 10:27

I saw a few copies floating round on ebay (new and direct from the author I think) if anyone wants to buy it online.

Bob Dobson 24-11-2011 10:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pudwoppa (Post 951266)
I saw a few copies floating round on ebay (new and direct from the author I think) if anyone wants to buy it online.

Good spotting. However, do check first if they are 'post free'

susie123 24-11-2011 10:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dobson (Post 951274)
Good spotting. However, do check first if they are 'post free'

Yes they are Bob, just been to have a look.

Atarah 25-11-2011 02:24

Think folk should try and find out what the book is about first of all before they buy. It WONT be "everybody's cup of tea".

susie123 25-11-2011 12:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atarah (Post 951560)
Think folk should try and find out what the book is about first of all before they buy. It WONT be "everybody's cup of tea".

I ordered it on ebay yesterday. Should be here early next week then I will be able to let you know.

Observer 25-11-2011 17:40

The book is now available in the Accrington Branch of WH Smith. If anyone would like to receive a pdf with a sample of some of the actual content and photographs, I would be happy to oblige. Just email me on [email protected]

Bob Dobson 25-11-2011 18:28

Where else? The library? the Town Hall?

Observer 25-11-2011 18:44

At the moment it is available either directly from me (including my Ebay entry) or WH Smith. I have agreed to supply The Lancashire Book stall in Ossy Mills and am awaiting his order.
The Library and Accrington Town Hall are not outlets at the time of writing.

groove 26-11-2011 10:35

May i suggest a copy be donated to the library, to add to the local reference section? Thankyou