Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Heritage and History (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/)
-   -   Unusual names (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/unusual-names-61148.html)

Atarah 03-04-2012 03:41

Unusual names

This must be one of the most unusual names I have ever come across as being a resident of Accrington

A marriage took place on 4th Nov 1880 at St James, Cannon Street, Accrington, Lancs. between

Alexander Constantine Liperindi Luders Goetshakoff Manchakoff Oloff Brounow Soukyponet Broughton - 24 Iron Moulder Bachelor of 50 King Street and
Margaret Rothwell - 24 Spinster of 3 Ellison Street

Groom's Father: John Broughton, Painter
Bride's Father: James Rothwell, Deceased,

where on earth did the father, John Broughton, get the idea to give his son those names? There MUST be a story there?

garinda 03-04-2012 06:23

Re: Unusual names

Like you say, there has to be a story, behind that mouthful.

I wonder if the vicar got the bride to repeat them all, and in the right order?

Can't be any help, sorry, but did come across this.

All the surnames in Accrington, taken from the 1881 census.

Which is quite interesting, seeing all the names listed together.

All surnames in Accrington from the 1881 British Census | British Surnames, Surname Distribution and Surname Profiles

maxthecollie 03-04-2012 07:36

Did his father manage a russian football team?

jaysay 03-04-2012 08:38

Ya like the Beckhams naming their first child after Brooklyn the place he was conceived, its a good job me and the wife didn't take the route in naming our first, or every Saturday morning when my daughter arrives I'd be saying good morning back of a Vauxhall Victor:D

Bob Dobson 03-04-2012 09:25

I have a mate who believes he was conceived on the stairs. He used to call himself 'the child of the Immaculate Conception'

Back to the thread - I suggest Atarah emails the local Family History Society branch to ask if there is any member researching the Broughtons. He/she may come up with an explanantion. OK Atarah?

MargaretR 03-04-2012 10:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atarah (Post 982096)
Margaret Rothwell - 24 Spinster of 3 Ellison Street

:signntme:- It may a distant relative.

susie123 03-04-2012 10:54

Alexander Constantine Liperindi Luders Goetshakoff Manchakoff Oloff Brounow Soukyponet Broughton

If he was 24 in 1880 he would have been born around 1856, just after the end of the Crimean War. I think his father (?or his mother) had an interest in Russian history, looking at those names.

Allowing for transliteration/illiteracy:

Alexander II, Tsar of Russia from 1855
Alexander II of Russia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Constantine: Grand Duke Konstantin Nikolayevich of Russia, Alexander's brothr and head of the navy during the Crimean War
Grand Duke Konstantin Nikolayevich of Russia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Luders: Count Alexander Nikolajewitsch von Lüders, active in the Napoleonic Wars and after
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexand...on_L%C3%BCders

Goetschakoff: Prince Alexander Mikhailovich Gorchakov, Foreign Minister when the Crimean War was drawing to a close and represented the Tsar at the Paris Congress of 1856
Gorchakov - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Manchakoff: Prince Aleksandr Sergeyevich Menschikov, commander-in-chief on land and sea at the start of the Crimean War
Alexander Sergeyevich Menshikov - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Orloff: Prince Alexey Fyodorovich Orlov, played a part in both the Napoleonic and Crimean Wars
Orlov - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Still working on Liperindi, Brounow and Soukyponet!

Retlaw 03-04-2012 10:58

Ancestry can nearly beat that, looking for a soldier who was supposed to be an Accrington man, came across a man name Littemess, opened the page. and his name was Septimus.
Retlaw.

susie123 03-04-2012 11:31

Liperindi: General Pavel Petrovich Liprandi, Crimean War commander
Pavel Liprandi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Brounow: Baron Brunow/Brunnow, Russian ambassador before and after the Crimean War
Papers Past — Lyttelton Times — 1 Haratua 1858 — Miscellaneous.
Philipp von Brunnow - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Soukyponet still defeating me!

steve2qec 03-04-2012 19:00

Bet he got some stick at school...!
Thought there might be a Russian connection on Alexander's mothers side but her surname was Ward....and he was born in 1856, Sue.
Looks like he had a brother called Adolphus and a sister? called Algo Vera. Plus some sisters with more "normal" names.

susie123 03-04-2012 19:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve2qec (Post 982263)
Thought there might be a Russian connection on Alexander's mothers side but her surname was Ward....and he was born in 1856, Sue.
Looks like he had a brother called Adolphus and a sister? called Algo Vera. Plus some sisters with more "normal" names.

Algo Vera?? Isn't that what you slap on your sunburn??

BTW Steve where did all this come from? Do you subscribe to an ancestry site??

steve2qec 03-04-2012 19:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie123 (Post 982267)
Algo Vera?? Isn't that what you slap on your sunburn??

BTW Steve where did all this come from? Do you subscribe to an ancestry site??

Sounds a bit Spanish to me.

Got that info from here:
http://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk/cgi/birthind.cgi

....and it's FREE!!!!

anzac 03-04-2012 19:21

I actually indexed this entry for the Lancashire BMD Project and at the time looked at the births of the other members of the family to see what other names they came up with. Always thought there was a story behind this but will never know.

susie123 03-04-2012 19:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve2qec (Post 982263)

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve2qec (Post 982275)
Sounds a bit Spanish to me.

Got that info from here:
http://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk/cgi/birthind.cgi

....and it's FREE!!!!

Silly me - of course!

I use FreeBMD, not used the Lancs one... BTW the link you posted did not work for me.

steve2qec 03-04-2012 19:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie123 (Post 982283)
Silly me - of course!

I use FreeBMD, not used the Lancs one... BTW the link you posted did not work for me.

Oh yeah, you're right! Think it's because I linked the "Broughton" births page and not the sites main page.