Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Heritage and History (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/)
-   -   Accrington Research (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/accrington-research-61206.html)

Mary90 11-04-2012 11:08

Accrington Research

Hi everyone! Im am currently researching the local history of Accrington and there role in World War One. I need at least 100 people to fill out this very short questionnaire. There is only 6 questions and it is completley anonymous! I need a wide demographic to answer the questionnaire to produce accurate results, so please can everyone and anyone answer the questions whether you no alot or nothing about history! Thankyou, it is REALLY appreciated just follow this link....
Accrington Pals Survey

cashman 11-04-2012 11:18

Re: Accrington Research

Job Done.:)

Retlaw 11-04-2012 11:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mary90 (Post 984285)
Hi everyone! Im am currently researching the local history of Accrington and there role in World War One. I need at least 100 people to fill out this very short questionnaire. There is only 6 questions and it is completley anonymous! I need a wide demographic to answer the questionnaire to produce accurate results, so please can everyone and anyone answer the questions whether you no alot or nothing about history! Thankyou, it is REALLY appreciated just follow this link....
Accrington Pals Survey

Who the hell are you. If you want to know about the Pals, read some of the threads on here, under World War One.
Retlaw.

Eric 11-04-2012 11:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 984289)
Job Done.:)

Me too ... did you lie about your age;)?

Mary90 11-04-2012 11:57

Thankyou Very Much Cashman I really appreciate your help :) Retlaw, I am currently at university in my final year studying history and for my final year dissertation I am looking into the effects the loss of so many men from the 94th Brigade (Sheffield, Barnsley and Accrington Pals) had on their communities. I am actually from Sheffield, and was inspired by the way Accrington remember their Pals battalion in comparisson to that of Sheffields. The questionnaire is part of my research to highlight the effects of the pals in society today. I dont no why you seem to have been offended by my questionnaire? Im not in anyway questioning your knowledge, as I have not in anyway made out that I am some sort of expert on this subject? Thankyou for directing me to the threads on here, as I was unaware of them!

***Mr D*** 11-04-2012 11:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 984298)
Who the hell are you. If you want to know about the Pals, read some of the threads on here, under World War One.
Retlaw.

I would Guess at a lady called Mary who is asking people to fill out a questionair.

Nice reply to a first post.:rolleyes:

Mary90 11-04-2012 11:59

Thankyou Eric :)

gilbert 11-04-2012 13:42

I have answered the questionair and am wondering why Retlaw seems so offended. The only problem I have is that someone at university is so bad at spelling and grammar.

Retlaw 11-04-2012 14:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by ***Mr D*** (Post 984306)
I would Guess at a lady called Mary who is asking people to fill out a questionair.

Nice reply to a first post.:rolleyes:

I get a bit het up when some body questions the Accrington Pals, there are so many, now that Bill Turners dead, that claim to be Pals experts, when all they do is parrot what Bill Turner did for Accrington, and pretend they they thought of it first.
Every thing I do, in my continuing research into the Accrington Pals, Bills name comes before mine.

Retlaw.

Jim Procter 11-04-2012 14:23

Not a very good speller are you Mary, considering you are a Uni girl?.Questionaire filled in.

gilbert 11-04-2012 14:40

Have you looked at the questionair Retlaw? Mary is not pretending to be an expert but simply asking for peoples opinion. We are all grateful for your hard work researching the Pals. Information you gave re. Frank and Matthew Fawcett helped me greatly with my family tree last year. Belated thanks.:o

susie123 11-04-2012 15:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by gilbert (Post 984329)
I have answered the questionair and am wondering why Retlaw seems so offended. The only problem I have is that someone at university is so bad at spelling and grammar.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Procter (Post 984343)
Not a very good speller are you Mary, considering you are a Uni girl?.Questionaire filled in.

Sorry but I am known as Accyweb's resident pedant and human spellchecker.

Both of you spelt questionnaire (sic) wrong. :rolleyes:

I have filled it in for you Mary.

garinda 11-04-2012 15:22

Filled in.

:)

Eric 11-04-2012 15:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie123 (Post 984354)
Sorry but I am known as Accyweb's resident pedant and human spellchecker.

Both of you spelt questionnaire (sic) wrong. :rolleyes:

I have filled it in for you Mary.

Tabernac':eek: And here's me a thinkin' you were the resident grumpy cow;):D

And, Mary, yr welcome. If you haven't already come across it, Arthur Marwick's "The Deluge: British Society and the First World War" is well worth a read. Also Paul Fussell's "The Great War and Modern Memory." Salut.

susie123 11-04-2012 15:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 984360)
Tabernac':eek: And here's me a thinkin' you were the resident grumpy cow;):D

And, Mary, yr welcome. If you haven't already come across it, Arthur Marwick's "The Deluge: British Society and the First World War" is well worth a read. Also Paul Fussell's "The Great War and Modern Memory." Salut.

Well well a new swearword. Thanks Eric!

Arthur Marwick interviewed me for a job in history of science at the OU about 25 years ago. I didn't get it but your mention prompted me to look him up and I found his obit in the Guardian, 2006.