Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Heritage and History (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/)
-   -   WW1 Auxilliary hospitals (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/ww1-auxilliary-hospitals-64152.html)

MovedtoBolton 29-04-2013 06:03

WW1 Auxilliary hospitals

Forgive me if this has been mentioned before, but after watching The Village on TV I started browsing t'internet and stumbled across the fact that there was an Auxilliary home hospital in Baxenden. Now I knew about Elmfield Hall but knew nothing of the Baxenden unit. Does anyone know where it was located?

Retlaw 29-04-2013 11:52

Re: WW1 Auxilliary hospitals

Quote:

Originally Posted by MovedtoBolton (Post 1056216)
Forgive me if this has been mentioned before, but after watching The Village on TV I started browsing t'internet and stumbled across the fact that there was an Auxilliary home hospital in Baxenden. Now I knew about Elmfield Hall but knew nothing of the Baxenden unit. Does anyone know where it was located?

I was at one time an isolation hospital. all the land in that area has gone, Hollins School now covers most of it. The biggest military hospital in Lancashire was Queen Mary's at Whalley. it had its own railway siding, yet its grave yard does not have as many graves as one would expect for a military hospital, most of those who died were claimed by relatives and buried in their home town. Several local men died there in 1918, quite a number of them were home on leave, fell ill, reported to Whalley for treatment & died of flu, some of them are in Accy Cemetery.

cashman 29-04-2013 13:18

Do yeh know when it vanished walter?:confused: Can't recall owt being yon before Hollins was built.:confused:

Retlaw 29-04-2013 13:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1056268)
Do yeh know when it vanished walter?:confused: Can't recall owt being yon before Hollins was built.:confused:

No can't recall, after WW1 i think it was closed and disused, and in ruins for a long time before they built Hollins. All I can remember is my father telling me it had once been an Isolation Hospital, probably T.B.

cashman 29-04-2013 14:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 1056279)
No can't recall, after WW1 i think it was closed and disused, and in ruins for a long time before they built Hollins. All I can remember is my father telling me it had once been an Isolation Hospital, probably T.B.

Pity they closed it,Had to trail to Withnell when me dad had it. couldn't drive in those days n deadwood stage was more frequent than buses yon.

MovedtoBolton 29-04-2013 17:19

Thank you so much for the replies. This must be the same hospital unit often referred to as the smallpox hospital. The site is indeed within the grounds of Hollins school, between the rear of the school buildings and the old railway. Thanks once more,

Ian

steve2qec 29-04-2013 17:32

Part of the walls are still there.

cashman 29-04-2013 17:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by MovedtoBolton (Post 1056309)
Thank you so much for the replies. This must be the same hospital unit often referred to as the smallpox hospital. The site is indeed within the grounds of Hollins school, between the rear of the school buildings and the old railway. Thanks once more,

Ian

Nah, Thank You, had never heard sod all about this place, very interesting to discover.:)

susie123 29-04-2013 18:53

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a map from 1890...

DtheP47 29-04-2013 20:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1056268)

Yep..us Woodnookers used to roam over the fields above Priestley Clough ..a few concrete bases n stuff...... also remember (i think?) one of the schools cross country races from King Georges going past there.

Stuff of legend: I also think a policeman committed suicide up there...dad of local maybe hardman Mick Sergeson...an old sparring partner of mine. Mick not his dad ;)