Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Heritage and History (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/)
-   -   The Pubs of Accrington (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/the-pubs-of-accrington-66768.html)

Morecambe Ex Pat 19-11-2014 13:42

The Pubs of Accrington

I have read a few threads on here which mention some of the long forgotten pubs of Accrington and thought it might be an idea to create a Google map and a concise list of all Accrington pubs whether open or closed down.

I have put a few pubs on there already but I just know there are many more to be added.
The map can be found here.
Accrington Public Houses

New pubs can be added to the map interactively but you will need a Password in order to do that. I did consider just making it open access but I decided that would be unwise.

Any Accy Web member can have a password - just ask on here and I will PM one to you. If there is enough interest, we could also add additional information ie. whether open/closed, photos and other relevant information

Anyone interested? :hehetable

cashman 19-11-2014 14:57

Re: The Pubs of Accrington

The map aint very accurate to put em on, streets not on map were pubs are/were,;)

Morecambe Ex Pat 19-11-2014 15:12

Zooming in helps with accuracy and also switching to the satellite view helps to ID specific buildings. I guess there will have to be a bit of guesswork with some of them but they are not going to be too far out.

cashman 19-11-2014 15:41

Ahh fair play didn't know about zoom, Have noticed using it Great Eastern is in the wrong place, it was on arnold st corner of dowry st, a thwaites house, also on arnold st corner maudsley st, was St Johns Hotel, another Thwaites House. Another was Royal Oak on Meadow St, plus on Maudsley St opposite corner from that was the New Brewery.

Morecambe Ex Pat 19-11-2014 17:21

Sorry Cashy, didn't understand the reference to the Great Eastern until I looked again. All the ones I have put in are represented by beer classes with arrows off the bottom of them. The pub name is revealed when you hover over the beer glass. The pubs where the names appear directly on screen are the ones programmed into Google. You will see that Google thinks the Walton Arms is half way up Burnley Road.

cashman 19-11-2014 17:55

Australian Inn was over Bull Bridge from the Black Bull right at bottom of Weir St. The Colliers on Birtwistle St, The Welcome Inn round corner on Elephant St , on the right going down from Birtwistle St, approx in middle of the block, go down then to Plantation St turn right on the right 200 yds up was the St, Ledger.

DtheP47 20-11-2014 13:06

There's an aerial photo out of Garth Dawson's archives from 1970 in this weeks Observer and judging by the cars on what was the Broadway carpark the Australian had gone by then but one can see both the Black Bull and the Castle. I can also pick out that modernistic public toilet building on Union Street opposite the Astronaut. I'd forgotten about that.

Morecambe Ex Pat 20-11-2014 13:10

I didn't realise, when I started this, just how many pubs have gone by the wayside that I used to drink in.
I have added some more but not sure where the Australian, Colliers, Welcome and St Ledgers were situated.
There are a few others which I am trying to locate.
Where was the Antley Inn? I have been up and down Blackburn Road, past Antley Church and garage, on Google Earth but just can't remember.
Was there another pub on the other side of Blackburn Road near there?

cashman 20-11-2014 13:38

The antley inn was on Blackburn Rd,bottom of Newark St, a Thwaites house, just further on towards chuch on other side was a Lion House The Oak Tree.;) back towards accy on that side top of Monk St, was the Hyndburn Inn. another Thwaites house. opposite side towards accy at Scaitcliffe St Junction was the Globe (Duttons) and Royal on opposite corners the Royal Became the George n then became The Last Orders which it is now.;)

cashman 20-11-2014 13:42

On Nuttall St was the Star n the Brittania that i think is still open? end of nuttall st turn right n up behind the Old Band Club was the Woodnook.think the street may be Marsden St? up Manchester Rd just before the Park Inn was the Tramway.

Morecambe Ex Pat 20-11-2014 14:02

Which corner was The Stanley Pub on - none of those building look like they used to be pubs.
Where was Spring Hill WMC? (Charter Street - Lonsdale Street?)
Was The Printers and Pickups Arms the same pub?

Morecambe Ex Pat 20-11-2014 14:04

I have put quite a few more in this afternoon but you could save a lot of explaining Cashy if you added them :)

cashman 20-11-2014 14:05

Yeh if i was any good at it mate, i tried n i'm sodding useless.:eek::D

Morecambe Ex Pat 20-11-2014 14:17

You put St. Johns on and that was near enough - I can easily move them about to get the correct position.
What did you struggle with?
Perhaps I can make it easier.

cashman 20-11-2014 14:19

some of the streets i couldnt get on, even wi zooming in, just couldn't find em, Weir St was one.:confused: