Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Heritage and History (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/)
-   -   Alice Street toilets crime (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/alice-street-toilets-crime-67497.html)

Balbus 26-07-2015 10:59

Alice Street toilets crime

Has anybody any recollection of an offence committed against a young boy in the toilets near the corner of Alice Street and Burnley Road? I seem to recollect that it was in about 1948, and that he had his hands cut off. I remember my mother warning me against using the toilets, and that there were posters displayed giving information about what had happened.

Bob Dobson 26-07-2015 15:32

Re: Alice Street toilets crime

You may be referring to a murder in 1948 that occurred at Farnworth. The lad was called Jack Quentin Smith . I too remember the posters. They were in all toilets, not just Alice St. I do not recall any major crime occurring there.

wadey 27-07-2015 15:09

April 1948 News of the World offered £500 for information leading to the arrest of the murderer of 11-year-old John Quentin Smith, who was waylaid and stabbeed while returning from school on April 12 in Farnworth, Lancashire. On May 2 that year the offer wsa increased to £1,000.
No payment made.

wadey 27-07-2015 15:11

Quentin Smith

DtheP47 27-07-2015 15:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balbus (Post 1145566)
Has anybody any recollection of an offence committed against a young boy in the toilets near the corner of Alice Street and Burnley Road? I seem to recollect that it was in about 1948, and that he had his hands cut off. I remember my mother warning me against using the toilets, and that there were posters displayed giving information about what had happened.

Probably cross linking the case in Accy there's a thread on here "The Lady with no Hands. Whether to frighten the bejasus out of you Balbus from loitering in toilets or Chinese whispers I wouldn't know. extract below:

The Lady with no hands
does anyone remember or have any information on:

Agnes Rhodes Wildman... she lived in the Barnfield area of Accrington:

This is the lady that had her hands cut off by her step-father ( John Whalley) 1923 at the time they lived on Victoria Street Accrington:

Her mother was called Maud:

Miffy77 01-08-2017 23:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dobson (Post 1145591)
You may be referring to a murder in 1948 that occurred at Farnworth. The lad was called Jack Quentin Smith . I too remember the posters. They were in all toilets, not just Alice St. I do not recall any major crime occurring there.

Hi Bob,

Jack Quentin Smith is my uncle. My fathers brother. I have searched Quentin's Murder for years, with not much luck with information. Is there a way I could contact you please?

Bob Dobson 02-08-2017 07:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miffy77 (Post 1198496)
Hi Bob,

Jack Quentin Smith is my uncle. My fathers brother. I have searched Quentin's Murder for years, with not much luck with information. Is there a way I could contact you please?

I will send you a PM (private message) you will receive notification

Bob Dobson 17-09-2017 15:19

I have just messaged Miffy77

ChewBekah 03-02-2019 10:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dobson (Post 1198505)
I will send you a PM (private message) you will receive notification

Hi Bob, Quentin was my husband's uncle, I'd love to know more about this. Could you please PM me the details?

Cheers

ChewBekah 03-02-2019 10:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miffy77 (Post 1198496)
Hi Bob,

Hi Miffy, I've sent you a PM.