Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Heritage and History (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/)
-   -   Allsprings house aka The polish house (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/allsprings-house-aka-the-polish-house-67593.html)

Accyexplorer 02-09-2015 19:35

Allsprings house aka The polish house

9 Attachment(s)
If you go down in the woods today you may be in for a surprise,I would of been if i hadn't seen this place pop up on a urbexing site ran by one of our members.
Allsprings house or the polish house is a large dilapidated manor house in the middle of a woods in Gt harwood.
It was built in 1838 by a squire named James Lomax son of Richard Grimshaw Lomax a wealthy landowner in the area.
Rumor has it that this house is haunted hardly surprising since close by the ground is littered with broken gravestones.
The house also served time as a hospital for polish refugees during the war and there is still a air raid shelter hidden in the grounds.
Attachment 50576Attachment 50577Attachment 50578Attachment 50579Attachment 50580Attachment 50581Attachment 50582Attachment 50583Attachment 50584

more pics on this facebook page:-

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...8099668&type=3

Margaret Pilkington 02-09-2015 20:29

Re: Allsprings house aka The polish house

What a shame this building is in such a poor state.
It could be a beautiful place.

Accyexplorer 02-09-2015 22:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1149137)
What a shame this building is in such a poor state.
It could be a beautiful place.

I thought with it being a listed building that someone (English heritage) would be responsible for stopping it falling into a state of disrepair,I hear folk have offered to buy and repair it but they've been knocked back,it's sad how fast neglect (and thieves) can destroy wonderful buildings.

Margaret Pilkington 03-09-2015 07:02

I wonder how much it would take to restore it to its former glory.
I suppose that English Heritage can't do much if the person who owns it refuses to sell it.
Though it defies all reason for an owner to let the place rot if there are people who would buy it.

Accyexplorer 03-09-2015 07:58

I'm not sure if the owner is private or it belongs to the council....My theory is that the land has potential and permission to build will be easy.
The owner is unable rip it down because it's protected but if they do minimal repairs, and let folk abuse it,then it falls down sooner and then they can sell or build on the land :confused:

Perhaps, eventually they may sell it for a pound like they did with oak hill mansion after leaving it to rot for decades.....like you say, it's a shame :(

Accyexplorer 03-09-2015 08:10

Here is the link to the house on the urbexing site,I hope caveman doesn't mind me posting it:-
Allsprings House - caveman exploration

smobile 03-09-2015 08:55

Me and a mate went in for a wander about 20 years ago whilst the roof and staircases were still in situ - I'm not easily spooked, but that place scared the crap out of me.

Accyexplorer 03-09-2015 11:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by smobile (Post 1149158)
Me and a mate went in for a wander about 20 years ago whilst the roof and staircases were still in situ - I'm not easily spooked, but that place scared the crap out of me.

I'm a little skeptical about that sort of stuff myself but there's defiantly that vibe going on in this place ;)

Gremlin 03-09-2015 11:27

A friend of mine lived with his parents who farmed the land around the house until about 1955 when they bought Dunkirk farm at Read.
He took me for a ride round one day to point it out to me but we never got out of the pickup to look inside.
He told me he used to play in it when he was younger so it must have been empty in 1950 ish.

Accyexplorer 03-09-2015 15:31

From what I can gather polish exiles lived there till around the 50s,I had it pegged as being empty from later though (70s-80s)....shows what I know about it :D.
I heard something about a long legal dispute over it and that's why it got left to rot.

I don't suppose your friend mentioned anything about a tunnel(s) did he G?
Apparently there is a tunnel leading from this house to either the nearby church (St Hubert's) or towards the river Calder (though that may be just one of the lead mine tunnels).

Gremlin 03-09-2015 17:24

I'll ask him next time I see him. He may even come in Read Con tonight.
It could have still been inhabited when he played there.

Wiglet 23-07-2019 14:38

Can anyone tell me how to get to a place where you can actually see the house? Looked on Google, went in rough direction but obviously it's well hidden! We live in Harwood but need idiot directions please.

Wiglet 23-07-2019 22:39

I live in Harwood, can anyone give me idiot proof instructions on how to get to see this place?

Judith Addison 01-09-2019 12:25

There are no Public Rights of Way (as shown on the Definitive Map) leading to it. The nearest roads are Allsprings Drive, Church Lane and Tan House Lane (Allsprings Plantation). “Allsprings” is a Grade II Listed Building. If a Listed Building is dilapidated and is in private ownership, the onus is on the owner to repair/restore it.