Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Heritage and History (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/)
-   -   Josiah Lancashire Hadfield (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/josiah-lancashire-hadfield-70631.html)

taddy 30-06-2019 13:48

Josiah Lancashire Hadfield

I have been trying to locate my grandfathers military service record with much dissapointment, I am hoping that someone on Accy Web can help me;(RETLAW!) please get your thinking cap on.
The above named gentleman was born in 1889 and I believe that he served in Ishmailia in Egypt just prior to or maybe during the first world war, if conscription was in force at the time then he maybe served in Egypt from being called up at the age of 18 in 1907.
Unfortunatly I don't know his regiment or service number, any help would be much appreciated.
Your's as ever, stay happy; Taddy

Margaret Pilkington 30-06-2019 14:53

Re: Josiah Lancashire Hadfield

Hello Taddy.
Was your Grandma called Nellie by any chance?

taddy 30-06-2019 15:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1229321)
Hello Taddy.
Was your Grandma called Nellie by any chance?

Hiya Marge, yes, my grandma's maiden name was Nellie Walker, my Father, her first child was born at Sherfin Nook cottages, Stone Fold village, Haslingdon in 1910.(please tell me more). Taddy.

Margaret Pilkington 30-06-2019 17:53

Well, I have sent you a PM.
I cannot access military records on my current Ancestry subscription.
Is it possible that your grandad was a flyer?
There cannot be many Josiah Lancashire Hadfields in the services, it I have found one who was in the Royal Air Corp....which was a precursor to the RAF.....and he has his wife 'Nellie' as his next of kin.
If this is the right man then I have his service number.
Did he come from Denton or the Ashton area of Manchester?

Margaret Pilkington 30-06-2019 18:01

If I am on the right track Nellie and Josiah were married in 1910.

Margaret Pilkington 30-06-2019 18:11

1 Attachment(s)
I have taken a screen shot of the record.
I was reluctant to post it here, but I cannot post a screenshot to a PM.
I know you are not too good with the steam driven computer so was not sure how you would go on dealing with photo's e-mailed to you.
But here is the info....but be aware that I cannot guarantee that this is your man.....but it seems posdible(likely even)

Margaret Pilkington 30-06-2019 18:13

You can make the document larger by tapping on it.

If you have more information and you want to send it in a PM....then I will see what I can find out.....more information means more leads to follow.

Margaret Pilkington 30-06-2019 18:27

As for conscription in thebgreat war...it only came into effect from 1916(I think).
So if he was in action at the start of the war it is because he felt it his duty.

taddy 01-07-2019 10:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1229324)
Well, I have sent you a PM.
I cannot access military records on my current Ancestry subscription.
Is it possible that your grandad was a flyer?
There cannot be many Josiah Lancashire Hadfields in the services, it I have found one who was in the Royal Air Corp....which was a precursor to the RAF.....and he has his wife 'Nellie' as his next of kin.
If this is the right man then I have his service number.
Did he come from Denton or the Ashton area of Manchester?

Margaret you are a star, everthing that you have said corresponds, yes he married Nellie, yes he came from Denton/Ashton. he was born in1889 and died in 1965. Nellie was born in 1890 and died in 1962.

I know that he served in Ishmalia (Egypt) but I don't know the dates. I think that the Royal Air Corps would possibly be part of the Royal Fling Corps.

I am sorry but I have not received your P.M.
you have got me excited with your findings, thank you, please keep up the good work. Your's a grateful Taddy.

taddy 01-07-2019 10:27

Sorry Marge, yes I have received your p.m. I have only just found it, Thanks

taddy 01-07-2019 10:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by taddy (Post 1229345)
Margaret you are a star, everthing that you have said corresponds, yes he married Nellie, yes he came from Denton/Ashton. he was born in1889 and died in 1965. Nellie was born in 1890 and died in 1962.

I know that he served in Ishmalia (Egypt) but I don't know the dates. I think that the Royal Air Corps would possibly be part of the Royal Fling Corps.

I am sorry but I have not received your P.M.
you have got me excited with your findings, thank you, please keep up the good work. Your's a grateful Taddy.

Another apology, Royal Fling Corps should read Royal Flying Corps, (oops)

Margaret Pilkington 01-07-2019 13:33

Oh, that is good.
At least I am on the right road.
This information was obtained by a very brief search....so I am sure that if I put in a bit more effort I could tell you more....well that is if you want more.

How are you at opening pictures on your computer?
If it is something that you are able to do.....and want screenshots(pictures)of what I can find....then Pm me your e-mail address and I will let you have a look at what there is.

I think I clapped eyes on a record of a J.L. Hadfield (just initials....not the full name) who was in Egypt....but in the Royal Army Medical Corp.....alas I could not find a service number to corroborate that this was the same man.....I am not sure how likely it would be for a serviceman to change from the Army to the Flying Corp.....although initially the Army ran the Flying Corp.....so maybe it was possible.
My subscription does not let me see service records.

DonaldH 01-07-2019 16:53

Taddy, I have sent you a PM. I have been reading this thread and found his service records and have a copy. Can you send jpeg by PM? If so how?

Don

Margaret Pilkington 01-07-2019 17:33

Don...you cannot send pictures in any format by PM.
But if Taddy were to send you his e-mail address then you could send them that way.

Taddy I have lots of census information too if you wanted that

DonaldH 01-07-2019 18:02

Thanks Margaret, I couldn't see a way to send photos so assumed that you couldn't. I had sent Taddy a PM with my email address and I am waiting a reply.

Don