Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Heritage and History (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/)
-   -   old map of accy (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/old-map-of-accy-70646.html)

Mark2009 21-07-2019 13:58

old map of accy

I haven't seen this old map website before. Thought it may be of interest for anybody else who may not have seen it
Mark
Detailed Old Victorian Ordnance Survey 6 inch to 1 mile Map (1888-1913) , Accrington, Lancashire Co-ordinates 53.747813, -2.365408

Exile on Spencer St 21-07-2019 18:10

Re: old map of accy

Interesting too that they’ve superimposed the route of more recent Motorways and roads.

landhusweg 26-07-2019 09:44

Great map from 1888 - 1913!
Interesting for me, is the fact that Belfield Road, where I was born and grew up was named Robert Nuttall Street in those days.
I was always under the impression that the Nuttall Street of today was in those days named Robert Nuttall Street, at least that is what we were told as kids.
Another interesting fact is that there was a football ground just after St. Mary's Woodnook school, where now, and as long as I can remember there were always houses.
Cheers

pifco 26-07-2019 17:58

There is also a Football Ground at the top of Roe Greave Road which I had never heard of before

landhusweg 27-07-2019 08:04

The more I study this great map, the more I find!
In the Woodnook area, at the corner of Cotton St. and Wellington St. there's a building called Broad Oak (Cotton). In this same building Eric Holbrook started his business as Holbrook Engineering in around 1960. I worked in the same building from 1963 until 1965, after which he moved to premises on Corporation Street, where I also worked until 1967.
Interesting World!
Cheers
Philip Kenyon
Late Belfield Road

Gremlin 27-07-2019 13:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by landhusweg (Post 1229845)
The more I study this great map, the more I find!
In the Woodnook area, at the corner of Cotton St. and Wellington St. there's a building called Broad Oak (Cotton). In this same building Eric Holbrook started his business as Holbrook Engineering in around 1960. I worked in the same building from 1963 until 1965, after which he moved to premises on Corporation Street, where I also worked until 1967.
Interesting World!
Cheers
Philip Kenyon
Late Belfield Road

Was that the same Holbrook Engineering which Stuart Holbrook was involved with? I used to have a chat and a pint with him in Read Con Club until last year when he sadly passed away.

landhusweg 28-07-2019 09:05

Hi Gremlin,
Yes, Stuart Holbrook was Eric's Son, but never took over the business as such. The company was taken over (friendly take-over) by Moss Gears from Birmingham. We were making gear boxes at the time for them.
I did read somewhere that the company eventually folded (or maybe a managment buy-out) and took on another name and was then owned or run ba a fellow called Basil Fone, who also was working at Holbrook's when I was there.
Sorry to hear about Stuart passing away.
Cheers

landhusweg 28-07-2019 09:15

Hi again Gremlin,
Just googled-up the following:
The company that followed Holbrook Engineering was called FPW Axles Ltd. As mentioned previously it was started by Basil Fone and is to this day situated on the Industrial Estate in Huncoat.

Cheers

HansonBridge 08-10-2019 15:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by landhusweg (Post 1229878)
Hi again Gremlin,
Just googled-up the following:
The company that followed Holbrook Engineering was called FPW Axles Ltd. As mentioned previously it was started by Basil Fone and is to this day situated on the Industrial Estate in Huncoat.

Cheers

Hi, I have just joined this forum because of your ref to Holbrook Eng. I worked for the Moss Gear side from 1968 until 1980. For the first few years the Moss staff shared the office with Holbrooks at Corporation St. In the early seventies Moss relocated to Charter St but their trailer axle division remained in a new building next to the Holbrook factory. I wonder if you recall any of these names? Albert Pickup, chief draughtsman Moss, who sadly passed away some years ago. Kevin Holden, chief draughtsman and later director Holbrooks. Dick Gardner, works manager and later director Holbrooks. Basil Fone was the F of FPW Axles (P &W joined Moss after me). Stuart was the Holbrooks estimator, I was sorry to hear he had died. The last time I saw him he was in his thirties. He left Holbrooks to set up Stuart Eng with Eric. Their factory was under, or near the railway viaduct behind the town centre. I could rattle off other names that you may recall, but only if you are interested. Kind Regards, Steve.

HansonBridge 14-10-2019 11:25

Hi,
I also worked at Holbrook Eng. from 1968 - 1980 on the Moss Gear side. A couple of names you may know: Kevin Holden, draughtsman. Albert Pickup, draughtsman when I knew him but maybe works manager earlier. Sorry to hear Stuart has died, he was in his thirties the last time I saw him. Basil Fone became M.D. of Moss and set up FPW Axles when the parent group (Moss Eng.) went bust. I have other info re Holbrooks/Moss if you are interested

landhusweg 15-12-2019 14:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by HansonBridge (Post 1232541)
Hi, I have just joined this forum because of your ref to Holbrook Eng. I worked for the Moss Gear side from 1968 until 1980. For the first few years the Moss staff shared the office with Holbrooks at Corporation St. In the early seventies Moss relocated to Charter St but their trailer axle division remained in a new building next to the Holbrook factory. I wonder if you recall any of these names? Albert Pickup, chief draughtsman Moss, who sadly passed away some years ago. Kevin Holden, chief draughtsman and later director Holbrooks. Dick Gardner, works manager and later director Holbrooks. Basil Fone was the F of FPW Axles (P &W joined Moss after me). Stuart was the Holbrooks estimator, I was sorry to hear he had died. The last time I saw him he was in his thirties. He left Holbrooks to set up Stuart Eng with Eric. Their factory was under, or near the railway viaduct behind the town centre. I could rattle off other names that you may recall, but only if you are interested. Kind Regards, Steve.

Just got back on this thread again!
I do indeed remember all the names mentioned, plus some guys on the shop floor:
Allan Johnston (Turner)
Anthony Swindelhurst (Fitter)
Tom Ridley (maybe Riley)
Jack Riley (Turner)
Jack Johnston (Twiggsie) Why Twiggsie, because he had branches all over the country!
..... Lambert (Fitter-Welder)

I myself was a Turner and in the end worked on one of the biggest lathes in the area. The lathe was purchased by Eric in Scotland, I set up the lathe in the then Church St. works and operated it until I left the company in 1967 to come to Switzerland where I've been ever since.
Cheers

Philip Kenyon

Barrie Yates 16-12-2019 16:08

Stuart attended the Grammar School and was an active member of the Old Boys (AGSOB), until shortly before he passed away.

Jimmy Clitheroe 17-12-2019 12:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark2009 (Post 1229725)
I haven't seen this old map website before. Thought it may be of interest for anybody else who may not have seen it
Mark
Detailed Old Victorian Ordnance Survey 6 inch to 1 mile Map (1888-1913) , Accrington, Lancashire Co-ordinates 53.747813, -2.365408

An excellent link old chap. Shows how much more built up a lot of our towns and cities have become.