Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Heritage and History (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/)
-   -   Atlas Street Clayton (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/atlas-street-clayton-70660.html)

Mark2009 31-07-2019 16:56

Atlas Street Clayton

I understand there used to be a church on the site of the County Council building on Atlas St. ( I think it is a day nursery).
Does anyone know what the church was called or when it was demolished please?
thanks, Mark

Margaret Pilkington 31-07-2019 21:52

Re: Atlas Street Clayton

I have lived in Clayton le moors for fifty plonk years and do not recall there being a church on Atlas St.
There was a Methodist church in Sydney stree...but I cannot recall anything on Atlas street.
I will make some enquiries and let you know.

Mark2009 01-08-2019 10:05

Many thanks Margaret

TubbyLes 01-08-2019 18:46

1 Attachment(s)
Atlas St joined Anglesea St(now Blackburn rd).At the junction there was a chapel which the entrance was on the main rd. There have been photos and discussions on this but I can't recall the name.All gone now for the motorway.

Margaret Pilkington 01-08-2019 20:42

I have asked all the oldies that I know(one man is 93) no one remembers this Church.....so I think it must have been a long time before the motorway was built.
There has not been a Day nursery on that spot.....but there is a Day nursery further along Atlas Street....and it has been there for a long time.....situated before what used to be Allspeeds factory.
I can remember the Houses being demolished to make way for the motorway.
There was a long block of terraced houses on the Load of Mischief side.

Anyway, Thank You Les....I always wondered where Angelsea street was....I never knew that it was the name of what is now Blackburn Road.

ferret man 02-08-2019 06:35

Not been a day nursery for a while now

Mark2009 02-08-2019 07:58

Useful information, thanks everybody
Mark

Lost in Cornwall 05-08-2019 08:04

It was the old Baptist Chapel. Replaced by the one on Sparth Road.

Mark2009 05-08-2019 10:45

That is brilliant, thank you
Mark

Margaret Pilkington 05-08-2019 15:02

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ba...s2T9qpSDZRO-XM

This looks like it could be what you are looking for....though I do not remember it....it looks like it is situated on the corner of Atlas St and Blackburn road.

Mark2009 05-08-2019 15:57

That is interesting, definitely worth more research, thanks Margaret

Margaret Pilkington 05-08-2019 16:15

Yes, looking at it, I think it would have been above where the council offices were.
Now I remember the council offices, but not this building.

Lost in Cornwall 06-08-2019 08:16

I'm guessing it was demolished sometime in the 1960's. There was quite a gap before the new one was built. Don't know where the Baptists went in the intervening period.

Margaret Pilkington 06-08-2019 10:21

Well, that IS interesting....I lived in Clayton then and cannot remember it at all.....and other people older than me do not seem to remember it either.
I showed my other half the picture and he said he remembered it very vaguely....he said it was empty for a long time.
I could not find anything with a date on(regarding the picture).

Alan Gilmartin 13-12-2019 06:47

there was the Baptist church on the Corner of Atlas st & Blackburn rd, a separate building right next door was the sunday school, the church was demolished !964, the sunday school for the motorway, we got a lot of wood for our bonfire from the church on the spare land across the road, we lived on Blackburn rd. on Atlas st there was ST James church, but the entrance was in Clayton street, there was a day nursery on Atlas st next to the Royal Mill. but it was a separate building, Peter Birtles garden nursery was next to the Royal Mill as well, The Baptist church was next to Dr Davidsons surgary & the Taywil offices.