Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Heritage and History (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/)
-   -   Old photo of firemen and fire truck (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/old-photo-of-firemen-and-fire-truck-71143.html)

dotti34 05-06-2020 11:42

Old photo of firemen and fire truck

Not sure if anyone can help me with a query I have but I'm putting it out there hoping. There is a book about Oswaldtwistle, and in it is a photo of firemen on a fire truck. This would be of a period maybe in the 1920’s or 1930’s. All I want to know are the names of the firemen on the truck which I think should be under the picture.

I have seen the book a few years ago, there was a copy brought out here but unfortunately it has been lost. I would be very grateful if anyone can help regarding this. I have tried to find out the information from various sources but to no avail and I can’t purchase the book as I don’t know the exact title of it or even if it is still available.

Bob Dobson 05-06-2020 20:30

Re: Old photo of firemen and fire truck

I published 'Oswaldtwistle Observed' in 2003. On page 13 there are two photos of the fire brigade. The top one was taken outside the town hall where the steam-powered engine was kept ( the horses were kept across the road.) The lower photo was taken outside the 'new' (1899) fire station. No names I'm afraid. Both photos were 'thanks to Lancashire Library' I cannot put them on here as I am a dummy at anything technical. Only the top photo shows firemen - 12 of them plus a horse and engine

dotti34 05-06-2020 21:47

Thank you, Bob, for that very prompt information. I think those must be the photos I was referring to though it was the names I was mainly after. Another query - was the book you published in 2003 a re-print as the actual book I saw was published a few years before that date? Is this still in circulation?

dotti34 05-06-2020 22:29

Once again an Accyweb member has come up with answers to a query. This really is a great forum to belong to.

Exile on Spencer St 06-06-2020 17:15

1 Attachment(s)
Just ‘googled’ Ossie / fire brigade / photos and found this bit of a photo...is this the one referred to?

walker 06-06-2020 18:05

There is a photo on accy web gallery under miscellaneous of Oswaldtwistle firemen. Maybe the photo you are talking about.

Margaret Pilkington 06-06-2020 18:45

I think Dotti was looking to see the names under the picture(see post three).

dotti34 06-06-2020 23:13

Thank you for the replies and for your efforts to help, Walker and Exile on Spencer Street. Yes, Margaret, it was the names I wanted. I have tried various sites but can't get what I want. Need mind, it was mainly to tie up some loose ends. There are a couple more avenues I might try before giving up. Thank you all again.