Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Heritage and History (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/)
-   -   Mk I Presentation Spitfire R7154 - Accrington, Church and Oswaldtwistle (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/mk-i-presentation-spitfire-r7154-accrington-church-and-oswaldtwistle-9979.html)

Doug 17-04-2005 12:41

Mk I Presentation Spitfire R7154 - Accrington, Church and Oswaldtwistle

1 Attachment(s)
Following Tealeaf’s fascinating thread regarding SS Accrington. I was wondering if people where aware that in 1940 the people of the Accrington District raised a sum of over £6000 to pay for a Presentation Spitfire for the RAF and the war effort. The photograph of the aircrafts cockpit was taken c. 1941. Can any of our older residents remember the collections for this fine aircraft? Does anyone have any photographs or any knowledge of the spitfire’s war time history?

WillowTheWhisp 17-04-2005 13:47

Re: Mk I Presentation Spitfire R7154 - Accrington, Church and Oswaldtwistle

Brilliant photo Doug.

Tealeaf 17-04-2005 14:38

The collection for this spitfire was one of many made throughout towns and villages in the UK and Commonwealth throughout World War 2, and Accy, Church etc were no exception. The general term used was The Spitfire Fund, and the monies raised in donations directly from peoples pockets enabled the government to vastly ncrease the numbers of "spits" built.

What would be interesting would be to find the actual combat history of this plane, and even more interesting, who was the pilot, where was he from, and is he still alive?

Doug 17-04-2005 15:57

Willow the Photograph was lifted form a recent photographic history book of Accrington. If you are interested in old photos of the place and its people, it's well worth it at £12.99.

Tealeaf, I’m going to contact the Spitfire Society to enquire if any of those details are held in their achieve. I would hope the either the Library or the Town Hall would have some written history on the subject.

K.S.H 17-04-2005 16:23

It was a mk1 and its number is R7154

2 pages I found mentioning it are
http://www.sturtivant.freeserve.co.uk/spitfire/
http://www.spitfiresociety.demon.co.uk/present.htm

K.S.H 17-04-2005 16:29

doing a quick search for info I found this

"Monday, 30th September/Tuesday, 1st October 1940 N394

A Blenheim from 219 Squadron based at Catterick airfield in Yorkshire, disintegrated and crashed a mile SW of Accrington shortly after take-off, to begin a routine night patrol, at 21.40, the exact cause of the crash is unknown. Sergeants C. Goodwin and G.E. Shepperd, together with AC2 J.P. McCaul were killed and the aircraft a write-off. The pilot, Sgt Goodwin aged 21 was buried at his home town of Kingston upon Hull, Sgt Shepperd, the air gunner, aged 23 is buried in Catterick Cemetery and AC2 McCaul, who was 28 years old, is buried in Leigh Cemetery in Lancashire"

Does anyone know where abouts this happened?

A mile south west of Accrington is roughly in Oswaldtwistle

Doug 17-04-2005 16:49

Now then, a little vain in the back of my head just went pop? I remember tales from my childhood of a crashed Lancaster Bomber on high ground above Green Haworth. Could it have been the 219 Squadron Blenheim that K.H.S tell us about here? If I remember right it was supposed to be beyond Cross Edge. Anyone have any ideas?

K.S.H 17-04-2005 16:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug
Now then, a little vain in the back of my head just went pop? I remember tales from my childhood of a crashed Lancaster Bomber on high ground above Green Haworth. Could it have been the 219 Squadron Blenheim that K.H.S tell us about here? If I remember right it was supposed to be beyond Cross Edge. Anyone have any ideas?

Its going to be in that area, just worked out that a mile SW from Accrington town centre is Fielding lane Broadfield, thats just a little further down than Cross Edge

Doug 17-04-2005 17:08

Could be the Blenheim then and not a lanc K.H.S, I always thought that it was just a local legend to keep kids out of the fields up there.

K.S.H 17-04-2005 17:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug
Could be the Blenheim then and not a lanc K.H.S, I always thought that it was just a local legend to keep kids out of the fields up there.

Probably, you know how things get blown out of proportion, especially as kids!

Its KSH by the way:)

keith 17-04-2005 20:52

Parachutes are a necessity to any one whether flying a fast jet or the slowest cargo plane but one as to admire the servicemen who train as paratroopers take a look at this website please http://www.rafactiveee24.wanadoo.co.uk/e24milpara.html

Doug 21-04-2005 00:25

Burnley and district raised funds to pay for a Spitfire MK Va . This aircraft (R7271) was an hooked version of the spitfire which flew with 801 Squadron of the Fleet Air Arm.

cashman 21-04-2005 14:26

its fascinating doug,amazing whats hidden away,long forgotten,somebody will remember but its wether there on line or not eh!

Doug 21-04-2005 17:06

Thanks for that Cashman. I will be posting an up date soon. Squadron and pilot is now known as well as the fate of the Aircraft............

Doug 21-04-2005 17:31

Spitfire R7154 - Accrington, Church and Oswaldtwistle

It would appear that our Spitfire had a short and uneventful life.

First flight, 26 February 1941

Received by 12 MU, 1 March 1941

Accepted by 124 Squadron RAF, 7 May 1941

Pilot: Sgt Kilburn.

Engine failed South west of Cape Wrath, force landed Sandwood Bay, Sutherland, The pilot Sgt Kilburn safe.' Aircraft struck off charge, 30 March 1942

124 Sqn was reformed with Spitfire Mk 1's at Castletown, in the extreme north of Scotland, for the defence of Scapa Flow, on 10 May 1941.

Many thanks to Laurie & Geoff