Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-06-2011, 20:13   #16

Re: Accrington Borough Swimming Club -old photo

Things that make you go mmmmmmmmm?????
Another good photo.How can I find out about the members of the club,library or somewhere else?
jendaw66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-06-2011, 20:22   #17
Senior Member+

NOT necessarily in the library. You have to remember they only have information IF folk have had the sense to donate.
They do have a smashing, alphabetical card system, of Accrington Observer articles. Would you believe ALL CARDS, beginning with the first few letters of the alphabet i.e. A for Accrington Swimming Club, are away somewhere, being put onto disc.
By all means go to the library, but I would give it a couple of weeks at least until the info is back (IF, remember, there is any!)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 21:22   #18

Okikoki,thanks for that.
jendaw66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 20:23   #19
Bee
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by anzac View Post
Just aquired some old slides and they include pics of the demolition of the baths.

Will put a couple on to bring back the memories
What year were the baths demolished?.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 15:23   #20
Junior Member+

Certain two facts on this post unequivocally the best we have all had.The guy in the suit with glasses is suppose to be the same guy in the football photo,back row far right,with deep forehead!!I agreed what's said above!!!
Pablo8100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 22:39   #21
Resting in Peace

really good pics.... yet again so sad to see another bit of my youth in bits.... many a good time was spent at the baths... I remember the holes with no guards on that blew water back into the pool....
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2012, 08:59   #22

I remember the chips after coming out of the baths, the shop was opposite. I can also remember the rather well developed ladies who walked up and down the side of the baths , blowing their whistles but always ready to jump in and save you if necessary.
Thanks for the photos and so many memories
sm_counsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2012, 12:51   #23
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Hi will see if I can come up with anything. In the meantime, here is a fab photo showing the old Baths, in St James Street. The baths were situated on the corner of St James Street and Paradise Street, and yes, its that car park (near The Globe) that has a bit of a slope to it!
There's a belting photo of the old baths on the stairs landing in the Commercial, don't know where Wetherspoons got that from Atarah?

Shows the balcony where the woodnook ruffians and myself used to wait until the attendants were missing and then double dare each other to jump off the rail. Mr Smith the attendant/swimming instructor would usually shake his head with a wry smile when he heard the splash etc.

Last edited by DtheP47; 17-12-2012 at 12:57.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 18:20   #24
Junior Member+

Does anyone have more photos of outside of the building, in particular the doors. I would like to create a piece of artwork based on this building.
ruedetropal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 21:00   #25

doing some family research on Accrington and found your pictures of the baths I have attached a photo of my Grandfather in a group of boys from approx 1910, also a photo of his fathers business on Avenue Parade
Attached Images
File Type: jpg R Williamson & others 1910.jpg (108.8 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Avenue Parade Accrington.jpg (402.6 KB, 32 views)
jelly baby and steve2qec like this.
andrew williamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 12:46   #26

Is that the building that became the Adelphi pub now on the corner of Eastgate ?
Big Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 13:48   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
Is that the building that became the Adelphi pub now on the corner of Eastgate ?
I have looked at Google street map & I think it may be the Imposta Coffee shop on the corner of Ave Parade, I also know that he left Accrington in 1923/24, but a number of his cousins continued to live there.
andrew williamson is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..