Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-06-2011, 21:53   #1

Accrington Borough Swimming Club -old photo

I wonder if anybody could tell me anything about this old photo.I think it has my great grandfather on it,William Barlow(second row up,suit with glasses!) Could do with knowing what he did and about what year it was taken.Any clues?
Also photo of St Peters Football Club 1920-21 D League ,posted just for you to have a nosey!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Accrington Borough Swimming Club.jpg (126.3 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg St peters football club.jpg (424.7 KB, 85 views)
jendaw66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-06-2011, 07:00   #2
Senior Member+

Accrington Borough Swimming Club -old photo

Hi will see if I can come up with anything. In the meantime, here is a fab photo showing the old Baths, in St James Street. Only people "of a certain age" will remember them. Our younger generation of members have possibly even "parked" on the site of these old baths, without realizing it.
The baths were situated on the corner of St James Street and Paradise Street, and yes, its that car park (near The Globe) that has a bit of a slope to it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The old baths in St James Street.jpg (241.5 KB, 170 views)
pazara222 likes this.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2011, 08:19   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Accrington Borough Swimming Club -old photo

great pic atarah, was it closed when the sports centre opened? such a shame twas very central.
Old 18-06-2011, 11:37   #4

Great photo,I remember my mum talking about the baths but didn't realise the building was so 'grand'. Am I ok to copy this photo,not sure these days.
Old 18-06-2011, 21:11   #5
Senior Member+

I think there were also female members of the Accrington Borough Swimming Club. It looks earlier than 1920 to me., though in the Great war yearts, there may not have been enough young chaps to make up a team, so post-1918 may be likely.

The football photos: The board looks like it says O D League, which may be Oswaldtwistle District. There is a St Paul's Church in Ossie.

When was William Barlow born? Working out his age when this photo was taken may help date it. If you think it is an Accrington St Paul's photo - was does O D mean? Looking at some Observers of the time, April-May issues, may come up with answers.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 21:59   #6

Thanks Bob,not being funny but on the photo its St Peters not St Pauls. Is there a St Peters church in Ossy too? It is League winners 1920/21.
The swimmers photo,if it is @1918 the guy in the suit with glasses is suppose to be the same guy in the football photo,back row far right,with deep forehead!!
Somehow glasses guy looks older,must be somebody else in the family....confused?
Old 19-06-2011, 23:38   #7
Senior Member+

You are right. I am mixing up St Paul with St Peter - and not for the first time.
Old 20-06-2011, 05:00   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Hi will see if I can come up with anything. In the meantime, here is a fab photo showing the old Baths, in St James Street. Only people "of a certain age" will remember them. Our younger generation of members have possibly even "parked" on the site of these old baths, without realizing it.
The baths were situated on the corner of St James Street and Paradise Street, and yes, its that car park (near The Globe) that has a bit of a slope to it!

as Cashy says great pic , remember I/we used to go there on a bus from Arrod (Gt Harwood ) Top Council school , days before Norden on a friday afternoon for swiming lessons/weekly bath , thinking it was the first year of seconary school . seem to remember the "baths" were down a couple of flights of stairs..., strong smell of chlorine , think the girls had to change on the upper level and the lads on the pool side level ........ happy days
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2011, 11:32   #9

Just aquired some old slides and they include pics of the demolition of the baths.

Will put a couple on to bring back the memories
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Accrington Baths3.jpg (172.9 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg accrington baths 6.jpg (132.1 KB, 128 views)
anzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2011, 11:38   #10
Senior Member+

Well flippin eck, anzac! How good is that to see! Gosh, I too remember that strong smell of chlorine, but .. worse ... I remember the cockroaches!

Atarah
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2011, 13:05   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

are yeh sure that wasn't the "Junction" across the road on a sat night?
Old 20-06-2011, 19:25   #12
Senior Member+

I remember the brylcream dispensers.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2011, 19:33   #13
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by anzac View Post
Just aquired some old slides and they include pics of the demolition of the baths.

Will put a couple on to bring back the memories
What great memories these pictures bring back!!
Dandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2011, 20:22   #14
Senior Member+

I remember the boiling hot water and big block of soap in the slipper baths. I rewmember the first time I went to the baths. I jumped in and went under, not realising that I couldn't swim. I hesitate telling of my nights in The Junction supping Nips.
Old 22-06-2011, 14:53   #15

Have this photo floating around on my computer - sorry for low quality, I don't own the original. Was cited as Accrington and Burnley Swimming Club, but this thread has made me think that this too is Acc & Borough (maybe someone got mixed up with the initials ABSC?). Date for this photo was 1908.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ACCRINGTON & BURNLEY SWIMMING CLUB - TEAM PHOTO c1908.jpg (138.0 KB, 66 views)
Pudwoppa is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..