Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-03-2010, 18:24   #1
Junior Member+

Accrington FC 1876

Hi Accrington.
Beeing a Swede writing a book (in Swedish) about the original 12 league clubs 1888-89 and the towns they came from. I have a question about Accrington. Accrington FC says to have been formed in a pub in Accrington. Anyone know the name of that pub?
Thanks!
Tomgus is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-03-2010, 19:37   #2
Super Moderator

Re: Accrington FC 1876

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomgus View Post
Hi Accrington.
Beeing a Swede writing a book (in Swedish) about the original 12 league clubs 1888-89 and the towns they came from. I have a question about Accrington. Accrington FC says to have been formed in a pub in Accrington. Anyone know the name of that pub?
Thanks!
The Black Horse in Abbey Street. Still there and a very good pub it is too!

Welcome to Accyweb, by the way!
Old 28-03-2010, 20:02   #3
Senior Member+

Wynonie is correct. However, I wonder if Tomgus is confuising the two clubs Accrington FC ( the original founding member club) and Accrington Stanley, which was formed after Accrington FC left the Football League. This club was also started after a meeting in a pub - The Stanley Arms , a pub which is no longer in business. It was in Washington Street, just off Stanley Street. The name Stanley refers to the Stanley family, the Earls of derby, who would be well known to the Peel family who owned the land the houses in those streets were built on. I advise Tomgus to read an essay 'Accrinton Stanley' a brief history by Jean Harrison on pages 112-129 of 'Aspects of Accrington' by halstead & Duckworth (2000). Jean touches on the original club, which was known as 'Th'Owd Reds'
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2010, 20:15   #4
Super Moderator

Tomgus, apart from the sources Bob has suggested, you can also find out more about "th'owd Reds" by visiting Greger Lindberg's site Accrington Stanley History which contains a section devoted to them.
Old 28-03-2010, 21:15   #5
Junior Member+

Many thanks both for info, reading advices etc.! I am thinking of the original Accrington FC (not Stanley) that was in the first league 1888-89. A moth ago I was in Burnley for the first time ever and went by bus through parts of Accrington in the early Sunday morning. I really liked what I saw and was so tempted to jump of the bus but my flight was waiting at the Manchester Airport, but next time....
Thanks again Wynonie Harris and Bob Dobson!!!
Old 28-03-2010, 21:36   #6
Super Moderator

Quote:
Many thanks both for info, reading advices etc.! I am thinking of the original Accrington FC (not Stanley) that was in the first league 1888-89. A moth ago I was in Burnley for the first time ever and went by bus through parts of Accrington in the early Sunday morning. I really liked what I saw and was so tempted to jump of the bus but my flight was waiting at the Manchester Airport, but next time....
Thanks again Wynonie Harris and Bob Dobson!!!
You're welcome, Tomgus. If your bus came down Burnley Road into Accrington, you should've jumped off when you saw the cemetery on your right. A quick walk past there and you would've seen Thornyholme Road cricket ground, where Accrington FC played during their five seasons in the league!
Old 29-03-2010, 08:42   #7
Junior Member+

Ohhh beeing so close to the original ground. Remember that only one person entered the buss at the Accrington-stop so there was no time. But the buss-route was a real soccer-reviwal with Burnley, Accrington, Blackburn, Bolton and Manchester.
Thanks!
Old 30-03-2010, 14:02   #8
Junior Member+

Peel Park!!!
Old 30-03-2010, 14:14   #9
Super Moderator

Quote:
Peel Park!!!
Tomgus, once your bus had gone a few hundred yards past the cemetery I was telling you about, if you'd looked over to the left, you'd have seen an open space; behind that lies Peel Park - former home of Accrington Stanley during their first incarnation in the football league, 1921 - 1962.
Old 30-03-2010, 15:16   #10
Junior Member+

Aha soo Peel Park wasn't the original AFC:s arena? Was there a name on their (AFC) field and is it known if there was stands etc etc?
Another question before you get tired of me, are there any memory plates etc about this first period of football anywhere in Accrington?
Old 30-03-2010, 20:53   #11
Super Moderator

Quote:
Aha soo Peel Park wasn't the original AFC:s arena? Was there a name on their (AFC) field and is it known if there was stands etc etc?
Another question before you get tired of me, are there any memory plates etc about this first period of football anywhere in Accrington?
The name of Accrington FC's ground was Thornyholme Road (sometimes called the Cemetery Ground). They shared it with the cricket club and did have a temporary stand which had to be dismantled when cricket matches were being played. As far as I'm aware, there are no commemorative plaques for Accrington FC. Hope this helps your research.
Old 30-03-2010, 21:33   #12
Junior Member+

Your fantastic! THANKS so much for very usefull info!
Old 31-03-2010, 07:23   #13
Super Moderator

Quote:
Your fantastic! THANKS so much for very usefull info!
No problem, Tomgus. Well worth checking out Greger Lindberg's site, though. Also worth seeking out a copy of "Accrington Stanley - A Complete Record" by Mike Jackman and Garth Dykes which has a fair bit of info about "th'owd reds".
Old 20-04-2010, 06:16   #14
Senior Member+

I have just learned that when the (National) Football Museum was opened in Preston, the man who was the driving force behind it commissioned 12 paintings -one for each club -and Accrington FC was one of them. I presume they are in the museum and they may be able to email you a copy. I am in contact with the man and will be asking him for a copy soon. I hope to find some way of getting it onto Accyweb.

On Monday 3rd May I will be having a stall at the football collectors' fair in the Swallow Hotel, Samlesbury. I will have a copy of 'Accrington Stanley; a complete record' on it. PM me for details. Lots of Rovers & Clarets stuff too.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2010, 16:03   #15
Junior Member+

Great Bob! Was close to coming to the museum in Preston when I was in Burnley in February but will absolutely go next time. Thanks!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..