Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2011, 13:29   #1
Senior Member+

Accrington Grammar School - The Riley Shield

A large shield bearing the words ACCRINGTON GRAMMAR SCHOOL - RILEY SHIELD has been given to the Old Boys by Accrington Academy. It bears a ceramic centre showing athletes running to the tape. It was presented to the house with the most points gained in sporting activities over a year and was given by EJ Riley, the sports outfitters. Initially, in 1921, there were 5 houses, later reduced to 4. It is likely that we will be presenting it to the house with most representatives at our annual dinners. It will take a great deal of research to ascertain when it was first presented.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-10-2011, 14:05   #2

Re: Accrington Grammar School - The Riley Shield

The 4 Houses in 1941 were if my memory is correct,Coppice-green,Clayton-yellow, Willows-blue and Rhyddings-red.I wore red.
Jim Procter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 22:57   #3

I think that the fifth house you mention Bob was School House
Jim Procter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 18:25   #4
Junior Member+

Coppice House Colours were Yellow and Clayton House were Green if I remember correctly
HPilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 18:32   #5
Senior Member+

Spot on young Pilling. Rhyddings red, Willows blue. There could well be a few School House members at the forthcoming dinner. I will ask what colours they played in.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..