Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-01-2011, 19:53   #16
God Member

Re: Accrington House

There is a massive brick built house at the end of Queen Marys Rd with a 1911 date stone
here is the google map pic -
Queen Marys Rd Coventry UK - Google Maps

It has entrances on both sides so could have a Queen Marys Rd address.
The porch is on the Queen Mary side and the wider 'coach entrance' is on the other road

Last edited by MargaretR; 16-01-2011 at 19:59.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-01-2011, 20:02   #17
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
There is a massive brick built house at the end of Queen Marys Rd with a 1911 date stone
here is the google map pic -
Queen Marys Rd Coventry UK - Google Maps

It has entrances on both sides so could have a Queen Marys Rd address
Yes, saw that Margaret, but thought the address may have been on Foleshill Road, as the doctor's surgery is No.2. Hahaha .. you're as bad as me.

Just couldn't see this family ever owning that property ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 20:11   #18

Edgwick Medical Centre 2 Queen Mary's Road Coventry CV65LL
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 20:39   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Yes, Tealeaf, all the way along . that's why I wondered if the house that our subject lived in had been pulled down.
Err..not exactly pulled down, Katex. To use the word of Dr Goebbels - Coventrieit - or, to use the English derivative verb (past tense) - Coventrated.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 20:45   #20
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Which I supect is just what this family did due to their Accrington connections.

This is typical of houses all the way down Queen Mary's Road .. what sort of date would you put on them ?

Attachment 17339
Difficult to say without local knowledge, most towns had different building styles. Look at the terraced ones in Accy built late 1800's early 1900's, and they are mostly to a common design with little variation, some just a bit bigger than others & mainly stone fronted.

Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 20:51   #21
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Err..Walter...any possibility of putting a copy of the documentation on line?
Two reasons why I can't.
1 he is not one of the soldiers I'm researching, found him in passing, and looked at his papers because the word Accrington was shown.

2 Its not allowed to post full images of the document because of copyright. Several WW1 forums quote this in their rules, and any caught are banned from the forums.
I think the same copyright rules apply on here.

Retlaw
Old 16-01-2011, 20:55   #22
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Well, if it is Mary of Teck then she has a long history of having stuff named after her, not least the liner Queen Mary in the 1930's. We can't put an exact date until we see some more eveidence. And the road could of course, have been renamed at some point, as could the house.
Like Adelaide St in Acc, it had a another name, when it was first built.

Retlaw

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..