Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-01-2011, 13:22   #1
I am Banned

Accrington House

Whilst serching for WW1 soldiers I've come across an unsual address, for a soldier.
Joseph Binns Boulton.
Accrington House,
Queen Mary's Rd.
Coventry.
And before the jokers jump in with their daft answers.
he was 19 yers of age and was not born in Accrington Lancs.

Retlaw

Last edited by Retlaw; 16-01-2011 at 13:26.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-01-2011, 14:25   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Accrington House

How strange.

There is a Joseph Binns Boulton, born 1899 shown living at 87, Lodge Street, Accrington with his family though according to the 1911 census ? Unusual name.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 15:51   #3
Senior Member+

The following two entries appear in the Register of "Baptisms at St John the Evangelist in the Parish of Accrington"

Lancashire OnLine Parish Clerk Project

Baptism: 18 Sep 1898 St John the Evangelist, Accrington, Lancashire, England
Joseph Binns Boulton - Child of James Boulton & Betsy Ann
Born: 23 Aug 1898
Abode: 59 Fountain Street
Baptised by: G Lomas
Register: Baptisms 1868-1900, Page 212, Entry 1732
Source: LDS Film 1470821

Baptism: 26 Nov 1899 St John the Evangelist, Accrington, Lancashire, England
John Boulton - Child of James Boulton & Betsy Ann
Born: 28 Oct 1899
Abode: 87 Lodge Street
Baptised by: W A Kent
Register: Baptisms 1868-1900, Page 224, Entry 1832
Source: LDS Film 1470821
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 15:54   #4
Senior Member+

Very interesting. When did this house name first appear on the census? Who occupied it? (This may show who built it) Any connection with the famed engineer Boulton, of Boulton & Watt? Was it built of Noris? This could be worth opening up a dialogue with the various societies in Coventry. I am already in touch with the Coventry Lancastrians, whose secretary is called Hartley and whose email address has the word jam in it. I will start by asking him
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 16:17   #5
Resting in Peace

Looks like they lost the first Joseph Binns, doesn't it .. only to have another boy within the next year. Yes, those are the parents I came up with.

Pretty sure this is him .. no other male comes up with this name in the U.K. when you search with name only.

Just a quick look at the 1881 census .. could be that the grandfather had the Great Eastern in Dowry Street.

Where does it show that he was born, Retlaw ?

The History section in the Coventry library seems to have had some sort of flood and works going on there, so your friend could be helpful.

Have street-viewed the whole of Queen Mary's Road, and nothing there that would credit the name of 'house' ... however, they may not have been built before 1918. Think it may have been changed to Punjab house anyway (whoops .. hope that doesn't sound racist. LOL).

Thought about the Nori bricks myself Bob .. the father is listed as an Iron Works Polisher.

Mind you, (if we are on the right lines), the lad could just have had a sense of humour.

Last edited by katex; 16-01-2011 at 16:21.
Old 16-01-2011, 17:14   #6

Both children survived according to the 1911 Census, Both James Binns and John are both listed along with additional sisters.

My own Grandad was born in Accrington in 1899 and he went to work in Coventry at a munitions place there but until i dig out his diaries can't say which one and then after the war he came back to Accrington.

I have looked at the record on Ancestry and Joseph Binns Boulton was discharged back to Munitions Cottages Coventry.
anzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 17:29   #7
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by anzac View Post
Both children survived according to the 1911 Census, Both James Binns and John are both listed along with additional sisters.

My own Grandad was born in Accrington in 1899 and he went to work in Coventry at a munitions place there but until i dig out his diaries can't say which one and then after the war he came back to Accrington.

I have looked at the record on Ancestry and Joseph Binns Boulton was discharged back to Munitions Cottages Coventry.
Yes, you are right ... misread it and thought the second son was christened with the same name...sorry, and the 1911 shows James as being born 1899 ... which can be a year out sometimes.

Last edited by katex; 16-01-2011 at 17:35.
Old 16-01-2011, 18:38   #8
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Looks like they lost the first Joseph Binns, doesn't it .. only to have another boy within the next year. Yes, those are the parents I came up with.

Pretty sure this is him .. no other male comes up with this name in the U.K. when you search with name only.

Just a quick look at the 1881 census .. could be that the grandfather had the Great Eastern in Dowry Street.

Where does it show that he was born, Retlaw ?

The History section in the Coventry library seems to have had some sort of flood and works going on there, so your friend could be helpful.

Have street-viewed the whole of Queen Mary's Road, and nothing there that would credit the name of 'house' ... however, they may not have been built before 1918. Think it may have been changed to Punjab house anyway (whoops .. hope that doesn't sound racist. LOL).

Thought about the Nori bricks myself Bob .. the father is listed as an Iron Works Polisher.

Mind you, (if we are on the right lines), the lad could just have had a sense of humour.
That house must have been built before WW1 for it to be listed as his home adress on his attestation papers.
And the address on discharge as Munitions house, make me think his parents had moved.
Seen 100's of mens papers which show a different address on discharge, quite a few don't even come back to Accrington after the war ended.

Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 16-01-2011 at 18:45.
Old 16-01-2011, 18:44   #9
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Very interesting. When did this house name first appear on the census? Who occupied it? (This may show who built it) Any connection with the famed engineer Boulton, of Boulton & Watt? Was it built of Noris? This could be worth opening up a dialogue with the various societies in Coventry. I am already in touch with the Coventry Lancastrians, whose secretary is called Hartley and whose email address has the word jam in it. I will start by asking him
Without reopening his files, I think his father is listed as a labourer.
Any one can give their house a fancy name, you could even call yours Dobson Villa.
Why should it be built of Nori. ?

Last edited by Neil; 16-01-2011 at 20:06. Reason: fix quote
Old 16-01-2011, 18:45   #10
God Member

Err..Walter...any possibility of putting a copy of the documentation on line?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 19:03   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Without reopening his files, I think his father is listed as a labourer.
Any one can give their house a fancy name, you could even call yours Dobson Villa.
Why should it be built of Nori. ?
Which I supect is just what this family did due to their Accrington connections.

This is typical of houses all the way down Queen Mary's Road .. what sort of date would you put on them ?

queen mary's road.jpg

Last edited by Neil; 16-01-2011 at 20:31. Reason: fix quote
Old 16-01-2011, 19:17   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post

Which I supect is just what this family did due to their Accrington connections.

This is typical of houses all the way down Queen Mary's Road .. what sort of date would you put on them ?
Certainly that looks like it's just pre-war 1 or possibly 1920's. But is that style what the entire road is comprised of? Are there gaps, or new(ish) developments, possibly as a result of what happened in 1940?

Last edited by Neil; 16-01-2011 at 20:14. Reason: fix quote
Old 16-01-2011, 19:32   #13
Senior Member+

Assuming that the street name was in honour of the then queen, wife of King George V, the name would come about in 1910.Of course, it could have referred to Queen Mary, daughter of henry V111.

If it was built of top quality bricks and the builder/owner wanted to record this, he could have called it Accrington House. I say this is only a possibility. Equally so, as did Blackpool landladies, the name could reflect his ancestry/birthplace. I call my house 'Acorns'. Some think I am nuts.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 19:46   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Assuming that the street name was in honour of the then queen, wife of King George V, the name would come about in 1910.Of course, it could have referred to Queen Mary, daughter of henry V111.

If it was built of top quality bricks and the builder/owner wanted to record this, he could have called it Accrington House. I say this is only a possibility. Equally so, as did Blackpool landladies, the name could reflect his ancestry/birthplace. I call my house 'Acorns'. Some think I am nuts.
Well, if it is Mary of Teck then she has a long history of having stuff named after her, not least the liner Queen Mary in the 1930's. We can't put an exact date until we see some more eveidence. And the road could of course, have been renamed at some point, as could the house.
Old 16-01-2011, 19:49   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Certainly that looks like it's just pre-war 1 or possibly 1920's. But is that style what the entire road is comprised of? Are there gaps, or new(ish) developments, possibly as a result of what happened in 1940?
Yes, Tealeaf, all the way along . that's why I wondered if the house that our subject lived in had been pulled down.

Last edited by Neil; 16-01-2011 at 20:14. Reason: fix quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..