Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-03-2015, 19:18   #1

Accrington Lads' Club

As a collector of badges and all things Accrington, I was intrigued by this item on eBay. Can anyone shed any light on this club ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $_57.JPG (215.6 KB, 26 views)
smobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-03-2015, 15:40   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Accrington Lads' Club

I've not seen one, nor heard of the club I wonder if it has anything to do with a boxing club run in the 1950s by Chris Dillon
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 21:01   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Bob Bannister also ran a boxing club on argyle st, late 50s/early 60s, i was a member, never saw a badge like that at bobs, his nephew is a mate n a member on here, he will know fer certain.
Old 15-03-2015, 23:38   #4
Senior Member+

The wording suggests boxing - "manliness". Seem to remember something about ALC in mid/late '50s, knew a couple of lads that were involved but memory fails me as I had no interest in boxing - Queensbury Rules didn't apply outside Mort's on Sat/Sun evenings.
Old 16-03-2015, 00:57   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
The wording suggests boxing - "manliness". Seem to remember something about ALC in mid/late '50s, knew a couple of lads that were involved but memory fails me as I had no interest in boxing - Queensbury Rules didn't apply outside Mort's on Sat/Sun evenings.
True they never applied yon when i was knocked down the stairs.
Old 16-03-2015, 02:02   #6
Senior Member+

Interesting one that smobile, acorns and oak leaves?, I was a member at Chris Dillons in the late 50s but don't recall any pins. Not the scouts or boys brigade, sorry, got me stumped.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..