Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2009, 19:36   #1
Senior Member+

Accrington Market Hall.

Hi, maybe everyone is not aware that our Market Hall is having a facelift. Lets hope it DOES bring in the crowds!

Opened in 1869 - all masonry, brickwork, joinery, plumbing and glazing, flagging and slating carried out by Accrington companies. This lovely building still dominates our town centre. Another site, nearer to the railway station, was strongly favoured, but the final decision was taken to build it next to the Town Hall, then known as The Peel Institution. Many changes must have taken place over the years, and there will be many more to come. e.g. The toffee stall, and Nolans (cooked meats, etc) plus Feathers butchers stall are to be taken down, in preparation for alterations. How sad is that! Feathers though are just moving a few stalls away. Dont know if Nolans or the sweets stall are moving though. The
butchers has been there for 50 years that we know of. Wonder if it was a butchers before?

Apparently they are extending the "walkway" of the balcony above. The music stall will have to move temporarily I believe. l will post a few Market Hall photos. The last one is a view upstairs, on the balcony.

If anyone has any "market memories" that will be nice.

Atarah
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Acc Market Hall.JPG (57.9 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg 1920s.jpg (49.5 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg marketside.jpg (28.2 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Markethallin1961.jpg (68.5 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg MarketHallnov08.jpg (207.3 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg JULY09.jpg (246.2 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg ALTERATIONSJULY09.jpg (270.7 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg Markethallfigures.jpg (47.9 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg markethallupstairs2003.jpg (66.9 KB, 58 views)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-07-2009, 19:42   #2
God Member

Re: Accrington Market Hall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Apparently they are extending the "walkway" of the balcony above.
Atarah

The balcony will contain small business untis and retail units. The plan is that the retail units will be 'craft' based.

They recently add the roof done, the first thing it did when it rained last week was leak
Old 10-07-2009, 20:59   #3
Senior Member+

the sweet shops moved already

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 21:18   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

can remember working the market 65 ish, fer Home Supplies who also had a shop on blackburn rd, next to the "Red Arrow" T.V.shop, they had n outside corner 4 stalls with boards across making a square of 6, on the corner near Uncle Dicks, i used to bring the stock up from the storerooms under the Market Hall at 6-00 at morning, are the under stores still in use? the butchers also had some of those storerooms so i assume they are still in use?
Old 10-07-2009, 21:27   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
are the under stores still in use?
Yes they are, I have one, although I will be vacating it in the next couple of weeks
Old 10-07-2009, 21:51   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Hi, maybe everyone is not aware that our Market Hall is having a facelift. Lets hope it DOES bring in the crowds!

Opened in 1869 - all masonry, brickwork, joinery, plumbing and glazing, flagging and slating carried out by Accrington companies. This lovely building still dominates our town centre. Another site, nearer to the railway station, was strongly favoured, but the final decision was taken to build it next to the Town Hall, then known as The Peel Institution. Many changes must have taken place over the years, and there will be many more to come. e.g. The toffee stall, and Nolans (cooked meats, etc) plus Feathers butchers stall are to be taken down, in preparation for alterations. How sad is that! Feathers though are just moving a few stalls away. Dont know if Nolans or the sweets stall are moving though. The
butchers has been there for 50 years that we know of. Wonder if it was a butchers before?

Apparently they are extending the "walkway" of the balcony above. The music stall will have to move temporarily I believe. l will post a few Market Hall photos. The last one is a view upstairs, on the balcony.

If anyone has any "market memories" that will be nice.

Atarah
Market memories have been posted here on
many occasions but seem to go unnoticed.
If you ask a question.....wait for the reply.
What is your experience of Accrington Market
I can go back 50 years for the Butchers stalls......ask the question?

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 21:55   #7
Beacon of light

I worked for Slingers cooked meats.....it wasn't in the Market Hall, but in Peel Street.
I remember the wooden hut(painted green)...it housed a fabric stall and I think Catlows had a stall in there too...but I will stand corrected if anyone knows any different.

The market hall had Nolans, Lesters stocking stall, Greenwoods cheese stall.....which also sold crumpets, pikelets and oatcakes....there was Fairbrothers biscuit stall.......Lomax's cooked meats......Slingers had a butchers stall inside the Market Hall....there were a handful of butchers stalls.....Len's Bacon and cooked meats......Tommy Macs Butchers, Feathers butchers......it was a thriving market and folk came from all over to visit. I hope that the refurbishment will perhaps re-kindle the interest in the market.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 21:57   #8
God Member

During my first few years at Accy High School I used to go for dinner every day to Peggys Cafe, with the niece of Peggy Morgan who owned it.
On non market days we were the only ones using it and we had to walk through the deserted Market Hall - deserted except for the butcher boys who were lined up on the gallery waiting for our arrival.
They bombarded us with wolf whistles and calls to 'come with me to the cellar'.
Being the well fetched up girls that we were, we pretended not to notice.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 22:04   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Margarets post about Slingers (me 1st job lol) was a great market hall character, worked at slingers in the market hall, passed away a few years ago, the late Harry Hawkins, or Mr Hawkins as all us young apprentices called him, was a great drinker but always great craic.
Old 10-07-2009, 22:06   #10
Beacon of light

Cashy, Maybe I came to you to get extra sausages when the Peel St Shop ran out........and no lewd comments please....they were either pork or beef.....no other variety was ever accepted.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 22:19   #11
Senior Member+

My Nana used to send me there to buy her knickers. Big pink things with long legs and lots of elastic. I'd wander around the stall waiting for a quiet moment and then pick up three pairs and shove them in the assistant's hand. Even though I tried not to, I always said 'they aren't for me'!

Everytime I think of the Market Hall I think of that.

So much muck to eat before you die
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 22:25   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Margarets post about Slingers (me 1st job lol) was a great market hall character, worked at slingers in the market hall, passed away a few years ago, the late Harry Hawkins, or Mr Hawkins as all us young apprentices called him, was a great drinker but always great craic.
He nearly killed me that barsteward..........he had a pop pop and offersd to take me down Dill Hall Lane to my home in Church.
I was very lucky to survive....He almost lost control at the bottom of the hill and I was so gratefull to reach the bottom.........He was a nutter.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 22:33   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
He nearly killed me that barsteward..........he had a pop pop and offersd to take me down Dill Hall Lane to my home in Church.
I was very lucky to survive....He almost lost control at the bottom of the hill and I was so gratefull to reach the bottom.........He was a nutter.
why do ya think me n harry got on so well? he also learnt me to play poker when i was 15, at the boning factory at load of mischief, many a quid i won thanks to harry.
Old 11-07-2009, 06:06   #14
God Member

what as the name of the gents outfitters just to the left of the rear dooors (market side) which sold 'Ben Sherman' shirts ?
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 09:05   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
what as the name of the gents outfitters just to the left of the rear dooors (market side) which sold 'Ben Sherman' shirts ?
that was "Cliffs" mate, his mam Doris used to work yon as well, she lived next door to me when i was on Bamford Crescent.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..