Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Mick
  • 1 Post By Bob Dobson
  • 1 Post By Accyexplorer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-01-2014, 21:17   #1

Accrington Railway Station

A friend of mine Ian Bartlett is currently researching for a book about Accrington railway station and requires photographs/images of steam locomotives in and around the area during the mid 50s to 1968. If you have, and are willing to provide material, please contact him on [email protected]
firewoodface is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-01-2014, 05:35   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Accrington Railway Station

Don't you think it would be more polite to put a thread in the introduction section first BEFORE asking for help from the members ?
you will get more help if members know a bit about you
maxthecollie and Accyexplorer like this.

Last edited by Mick; 30-01-2014 at 05:43.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2014, 18:02   #3
Senior Member+

The book has been out for a few weeks apparently. After seeing an article about Ian and his book in the Accy Observer I tried to get a copy today from 'Clives' the barbers and from the Town Hall but both have "Sold Out!"
I have contacted Ian to suggest a possible second publication.
Any one else interested in buying the book could I suggest you post on here in order to give Ian some idea about numbers.
Anyone bought the book?........Please give us some feedback/revue etc.

Last edited by choirboy; 22-12-2014 at 18:05.
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2014, 18:09   #4

Sounds good to me. Focussed on Church District but working outwards as well.
Dave W
Dave Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2014, 21:55   #5

I was hoping to buy one for Christmas
Big Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2014, 09:50   #6
Senior Member+

I've got one but am not yet in possession. A pal picked one up for me. I hope that the author changes his mind over a reprint. Otherwise, it will be as difficult to buy as a first edition of Old Homesteads. I got a phone call from my pal to say how good the book is.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2014, 01:47   #7
Super Moderator

Would love a copy of this! Reprint please!
Old 25-12-2014, 07:40   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Would love a copy of this! Reprint please!
As Wyn says, i would also get one. n ive never been n anorak
Old 25-12-2014, 09:46   #9

Got 1 in my Christmas sack, wife had bought it from Clives before they sold out
Big Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2014, 11:13   #10
Senior Member+

It seems that blokes have been going into Clive's and asking for a paperback and sides.
Balbus likes this.
Old 30-12-2014, 16:03   #11
Senior Member+

Here is a clip of a train pulling into Accrington station,A little later (1970s) but still worth a look.
DtheP47 likes this.

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2014, 19:31   #12
Senior Member+

Great to see the coits. I'm not sure that I have seen them in this style before (sloping in a set of three) Which streets?
Old 26-01-2015, 11:05   #13
Senior Member+

Ian is an old school friend of mine. We were in the same class at Rhyddings from 1963 to 1968 and did some "Train spotting" together.
I contacted Ian after just missing out on getting a book from Clive's and from the Town Hall. He has printed another fifty copies since Christmas and we met up for lunch a couple of weeks ago and he brought me a copy. The book is an excellent record of the latter years of Accrington Station and includes lots of photographs not seen before and some from unusual angles and locations. I found the last few pages paricularly poignant as the photos show the sad decline of the staion after the closure of the line up through Baxenden to Bury along with the knocking down of Platforms 1, 2 & 3. Well worth the money and a 'must' for any 'Owd Accringtonian'.
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 14:21   #14
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by choirboy View Post
Ian is an old school friend of mine. We were in the same class at Rhyddings from 1963 to 1968 and did some "Train spotting" together.
I contacted Ian after just missing out on getting a book from Clive's and from the Town Hall. He has printed another fifty copies since Christmas and we met up for lunch a couple of weeks ago and he brought me a copy. The book is an excellent record of the latter years of Accrington Station and includes lots of photographs not seen before and some from unusual angles and locations. I found the last few pages paricularly poignant as the photos show the sad decline of the staion after the closure of the line up through Baxenden to Bury along with the knocking down of Platforms 1, 2 & 3. Well worth the money and a 'must' for any 'Owd Accringtonian'.
Will yeh ask him if hes got any of those 50 left, would love one. cheers
Old 07-02-2015, 10:44   #15
I am Banned

Got my copy from Clives yesterday
He only has 9 left so hurry if you want one.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..