Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2012, 15:42   #16
Super Moderator

Re: Accrington Research

Done. Good luck with your research, Mary!
Old 11-04-2012, 16:46   #17
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Tabernac' And here's me a thinkin' you were the resident grumpy cow

And, Mary, yr welcome. If you haven't already come across it, Arthur Marwick's "The Deluge: British Society and the First World War" is well worth a read. Also Paul Fussell's "The Great War and Modern Memory." Salut.
Thanks everyone for your feedback and apologies for my horrendous spelling and grammar! I have just checked what I wrote and agree with your comments I didn't think my grammar would be put under so much scrutiny, so I was typing as though I was on facebook! I have read Paul Fussell's book Eric, but I haven't read Marwick's so I will definitely take a look at it! Thank you
Mary90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 16:54   #18
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
I get a bit het up when some body questions the Accrington Pals, there are so many, now that Bill Turners dead, that claim to be Pals experts, when all they do is parrot what Bill Turner did for Accrington, and pretend they they thought of it first.
Every thing I do, in my continuing research into the Accrington Pals, Bills name comes before mine.

Retlaw.
Fair comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary90 View Post
Thanks everyone for your feedback and apologies for my horrendous spelling and grammar! I have just checked what I wrote and agree with your comments I didn't think my grammar would be put under so much scrutiny, so I was typing as though I was on facebook! I have read Paul Fussell's book Eric, but I haven't read Marwick's so I will definitely take a look at it! Thank you
Grammar police on here.
Old 11-04-2012, 17:11   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary90 View Post
Good luck to you Mary. The social history of WWl, or what happened on the home fronts, is a relatively neglected aspect of the conflict. Another point, before Susie pipes up: English has what has been called a "moribund subjunctive"; but certain cases still call for its use.

Just crossed my mind (short trip, eh) that there is a large body of war poems. Most, of course, deal with the experience at the Front; however, there may be some that deal with the home front. Sassoon's "Blighters" comes to mind. However, this is not my area of study; so, have fun ....
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 18:17   #20
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***Mr D*** View Post
Fair comment.

Grammar police on here.
Ya I once remember somebody having a go at my selling and Grammar Mr D. the only problem was he spelt grammar wrong, Grammer, haven't seen him much lately although I'm sure he's stopped blushing now
Old 11-04-2012, 18:20   #21
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Ya I once remember somebody having a go at my selling and Grammar Mr D. the only problem was he spelt grammar wrong, Grammer, haven't seen him much lately although I'm sure he's stopped blushing now
Yer selling what?
Old 11-04-2012, 18:22   #22
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Yer selling what?
Malapropisms and typos, ten pence a dozen.
Old 11-04-2012, 19:00   #23
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***Mr D*** View Post
Gramma police on here.
What ? they're recruiting old dears into the plod force now ? Thought they were all to busy knitting Shreddies.
Old 11-04-2012, 19:13   #24
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Malapropisms and typos, ten pence a dozen.
More like, type one get ten free.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 19:24   #25
Senior Member+

Done. I tried to check something before answering and it told me off- good for you and good luck with it Mary90.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 19:37   #26

Hope you soon get your 100 responses. Good luck for the future.

Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 20:13   #27
Senior Member+

done.
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:28   #28

Good luck Mary. Questions answered.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:37   #29
Senior Member+

Mary. I apologise on behalf of Retlaw. AccringtonLibrary (upstairs) have a very big WW1 collection of books & cuttings. You could do with going in when Kath or John are on duty. About 4 years ago a student at Lancaster University did a similar study.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:46   #30
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Mary. I apologise on behalf of Retlaw. AccringtonLibrary (upstairs) have a very big WW1 collection of books & cuttings. You could do with going in when Kath or John are on duty. About 4 years ago a student at Lancaster University did a similar study.
Your a bit late Dobbo, know about that, I spent a couple of hours in the library with her, she sent me a copy to proof read.
I've already PM'd young Mary90, and gave her some info, I also helpd a young woman last year, who came up fom London for a few days.
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..