Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012, 10:56   #31
Junior Member+

Re: Accrington Research

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Mary. I apologise on behalf of Retlaw. AccringtonLibrary (upstairs) have a very big WW1 collection of books & cuttings. You could do with going in when Kath or John are on duty. About 4 years ago a student at Lancaster University did a similar study.
Hi Bob, thank you for your information. I have already been to Accrington library and gone through the files on the Pals, and read through many newspapers They were really lovely and helpful in the library! Unfortunatly in Sheffield they don't collect any articles on the Pals, so i had to trail through every newspaper from the 1st July 1916!
Mary90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-04-2012, 20:14   #32
Senior Member+

Have you tried Burnley and Chorley libraries? There are groups in those towns which are active. If you struggle to find contacts, send me a PM
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 21:04   #33
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Have you tried Burnley and Chorley libraries? There are groups in those towns which are active. If you struggle to find contacts, send me a PM
Don't involve her with that Chorley lot, the number of mistakes in the Chorley Pals books, is unbelievable, I've printed out six new pages, for Accrington Libraries copy of their book. One great blunder is attached.
His real name is Richard Ormerod L/Cpl 15173 Burnley Coy, Lewis Gunner, K.I.A. July 1st 1916, I have an original photo of him & a copy of his personal diary, also been in contact with his family.
Retlaw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Woods. Alfred.JPG (83.3 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by Retlaw; 12-04-2012 at 21:08.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 21:25   #34
God Member

Having seen how much work Retlaw has done I'd say ask nicely if he will spend a day with you and go through his records, he has amassed so much info its silly and admireable in the same breath.... I do have one bug bear which I did raise with him a few years ago(but like me he's a stubborn old goat! ) is that he's stuck in his old version of some decrepid old software which whilst it works for him and may be more efficient for him to add to makes his data old(and obsolete) before its finished.

IMHO a well presented web view of his reserch wold be a joy to behold and a superb resource for the next 200 years...

I hope that when the inevitable happens( theres nowt as sure as death and taxes!) his info is converted to a useable web form and stored in something like the British Library, IMHO that would be a better epitaph than any stone up Burnley road!

@Retlaw, please please please ensure that if no one else wants it you pass it top me and I'll promise to do my best! I dont know where my ancesters were back then( I know my dad was in Fleet Air arms in WW2 but not much further back) but I'd absolutely hate to see your research wasted.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 22:01   #35
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
Having seen how much work Retlaw has done I'd say ask nicely if he will spend a day with you and go through his records, he has amassed so much info its silly and admireable in the same breath.... I do have one bug bear which I did raise with him a few years ago(but like me he's a stubborn old goat! ) is that he's stuck in his old version of some decrepid old software which whilst it works for him and may be more efficient for him to add to makes his data old(and obsolete) before its finished.

IMHO a well presented web view of his reserch wold be a joy to behold and a superb resource for the next 200 years...

I hope that when the inevitable happens( theres nowt as sure as death and taxes!) his info is converted to a useable web form and stored in something like the British Library, IMHO that would be a better epitaph than any stone up Burnley road!

@Retlaw, please please please ensure that if no one else wants it you pass it top me and I'll promise to do my best! I dont know where my ancesters were back then( I know my dad was in Fleet Air arms in WW2 but not much further back) but I'd absolutely hate to see your research wasted.
Hi Ian
I thought I had finished researching the Pals, so I contacted the publisher of William Turners Books, they told me it was unsaleable, they would need to sell 300 copies just to break even, and who would want to buy a book of over 4000 names of genealogy info on the 11th Battalion East Lancs. I have now been thinking of printing it out on a special paper that the goverment use, it goes black if some one tries to photocopy it or scan it. Thought of Web pages too, although I've made some attempt, I cant get pages to link.
Now that the 1911 Census & the Silver Badge records have come on line, I'm now back into it, and adding still more info on the Pals, it was 389 pages, but looks like it will be over 400 before long,. Then theres my Accrington Heroes file over 14000 names, nearly 900 pages.
AND WordStar may be antiquated, but it beats any of Gill Bates's crap, there are quite a few of us around the world who still use WordStar.
The Stubborn, Awkward, Cantankerous old Goat, Retlaw

Last edited by Retlaw; 12-04-2012 at 22:04.
Old 13-04-2012, 06:39   #36
Senior Member+

I'm sure more than 300 people would buy it. Webs site sounds like it is way to go. Did you try html raw or use a program like dreamweaver.
Old 13-04-2012, 09:48   #37

Sometimes books like this are financed by people paying for them in advance of publication. Can we try that? Put me down for one.
Balbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 11:47   #38
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
I'm sure more than 300 people would buy it. Webs site sounds like it is way to go. Did you try html raw or use a program like dreamweaver.
I've had a look at programs like dreamweaver, trouble is their not in proper English, them septics have all sorts of daft words, and phrases, sometimes 3 or 4 meaning the same thing, by the time I've figured out what their up to, I've forgotton where I am, my short term memory is going to pot, I need a ready made program on the lines of Burnley in the Great War.
Then I might get some where.
Retlaw.
Old 13-04-2012, 20:22   #39

My grandad was from Accrington, but he was in the Lincolnshire Regiment, so, I assume not all Accrington Pals were from Accrington.
stetrovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 21:47   #40
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stetrovers View Post
My grandad was from Accrington, but he was in the Lincolnshire Regiment, so, I assume not all Accrington Pals were from Accrington.
No but Greater Accrington, supplied the most men.
There was supposed to be a full company (250 men) from Chorley & Burnley, but both of those towns fell short af their target, Chorley had a Blackburn contingent, qute a few of those were actually from Oswaldtwistle.
By the 11-11-1918, over 560 men from Accrington alone, had served in the 11th Battalion East Lancs.
Who was your Grandad.

Retlaw.
Old 15-04-2012, 09:42   #41

A

Last edited by Balbus; 15-04-2012 at 09:44. Reason: Duplication
Balbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 15:16   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary90 View Post
Hi everyone! Im am currently researching the local history of Accrington and there role in World War One. I need at least 100 people to fill out this very short questionnaire. There is only 6 questions and it is completley anonymous! I need a wide demographic to answer the questionnaire to produce accurate results, so please can everyone and anyone answer the questions whether you no alot or nothing about history! Thankyou, it is REALLY appreciated just follow this link....
Accrington Pals Survey
form completed
AngleIron is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..