Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-10-2011, 21:59   #16
Resting in Peace

Re: Accrington should have a museum

Looking for the areas where funding is available is the first priority.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-10-2011, 12:55   #17
Senior Member+

Watch this space! Good news COULD be on the horizon!
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2011, 13:43   #18
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Whoo-hoo!

Good luck.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2011, 21:50   #19
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
That would make a nice change, .............if it occurs,Warn em not to put benches outside.
Old 28-10-2011, 16:06   #20
Give, give, give member

'A small but wide-ranging collection of locally associated items including fragments of carved stone, reputed to originate from a medieval monastery, local photographs, gramophone records, textiles, 18 pairs of shoes, 13 printing blocks from the Broad Oak printing works and commemorative items such as the key for the Accrington Fire Station that opened in 1935.'

Location Details - Haworth Art Gallery.

Cornucopia

Where? I've never seen 18 pairs of shoes, or the other things at the Haworth.

Old 28-10-2011, 16:18   #21
Give, give, give member

'Hapton Castle became uninhabited and fell into decay. All that remains now is a low wall 2 ft high between two trees in Castle Clough and an Elizabethan coin which was found on the site. It is now displayed in! Accrington Museum.'

The village of Hapton is to be found at the foot of Hameldon Hill, overshadowed by Pendle Hill to the north and the towns of Burnley and Accrington to the east and west. It is a typical Lancastrian industrial village with its streets of terraced hous

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk..._last/?ref=rss

Last edited by garinda; 28-10-2011 at 16:22.
Old 28-10-2011, 16:30   #22
Give, give, give member

Title - Corporation of Accrington: Municipal Museum

Published - 1900

Corporation of Accrington: Municipal ... - Accrington. Municipal Museum, Balthasar Wilhelm Gerland, Conrad Gerland - Google Books

Old 28-10-2011, 21:33   #23
Senior Member+

A SPECIAL INVITATION TO INTERESTED FOLK

Tuesday 1st November 2011, at the Peel Park Hotel, Turkey Street, Accrington. 7.15ish for a 7.30 start

A few folk have decided to get together and form a group re getting a museum back into our town. We intend to meet at The Peel Park Hotel next Tues and at this meeting we should, at the very least, agree a name for the group and appoint a Chair, a Secretary and a Treasurer.

WOULD YOU LIKE TO BE PART OF IT?
Please let me know if you would like to attend.
WE NEED YOU!
Old 28-10-2011, 21:36   #24
Give, give, give member

As you know, I'm really hoping to be there, to add my support.

Old 28-10-2011, 21:50   #25
Senior Member+

Thank you so much Garinda.
Old 28-10-2011, 22:27   #26
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Thank you so much Garinda.
I just want to find out where the eighteen pair of shoes are, in the Haworth's collection.

Whose shoes were they?

How old are they?

Have they got a penny loafer in a wide fitting size 11?

Old 29-10-2011, 15:18   #27
Resting In Peace

Best of luck Atarah. it's a great idea and I'm with you all the way. Sorry I can't make the meeting (doubly so as it's in a real ale pub and I'm a Camra member) as I live in Morecambe and don't have transport but I would like to register my support.

By the way I think any museum should be in or near the town centre to bring visitors in. Haworth Park is nice but it's a bit out of the way especially if like me you don't drive.

Good luck wih the project.

Sue
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2011, 15:58   #28
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Best of luck Atarah. it's a great idea and I'm with you all the way. Sorry I can't make the meeting (doubly so as it's in a real ale pub and I'm a Camra member) as I live in Morecambe and don't have transport but I would like to register my support.

By the way I think any museum should be in or near the town centre to bring visitors in. Haworth Park is nice but it's a bit out of the way especially if like me you don't drive.

Good luck wih the project.

Sue
That makes sense, and would be an ideal.

Sadly the Town Hall, which contains our visitor and information centre, is now closed at the weekend, due to the cuts we're all living with.

So it sadly seems the possibility of a town centre museum is remote.

I'm really hoping to be there, just as a supporter, if there's anything you'd like to be made known, if you send me a message I'll do my best to pass on any suggestion or thoughts you might like to add.

Old 29-10-2011, 18:45   #29
Resting In Peace

Thanks Garinda but there's nothing more I want to say just now, just add my support.

I do however have one or two things I think should be in a museum, more as archive than for display probably. For intance I have a collection of letters written by my great grandfather to his family in 1930. He owned trotting horses (the ones where the jockey sits in a little cart behind - we did have some cups he won but I think my dad must have sold them). Anyway times were hard and he took some of the horses out to New Zealand to try and sell them. They went on a liner andi think a couple of other men went too. The letters describe going through the Panama Canal and his unsuccessful travels around NZ trying to sell the horses. They are often written in pencil on whatever paper was to hand. He was not a very literate man (he was a fish merchant) but his love for his family and his longing to go home shine through. Sadly he died suddenly on Christmas Eve 1930 aged only in hie early fifties and was buried in NZ but he was later exhumed and taken home.

My father gave me the letters a few years ago before he died and I was very moved when I read them. I had always understood that he went to NZ to buy horses, not sell them but I think that story must have been put about so it did not seem that the family needed money. I think the story would make a good radio programme or short book but I can't do it. Anyway I think the letters might be of interest to a museum.

Cheers

Sue
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2011, 20:48   #30
Senior Member+

Susie. I advuise that you contact your local (Lacastyer) branch of the Lancashire Family History Association. They are interested in publishing family material such as this.

Garinda - Please do not go into the Peel Park wearing that turban. It could get Atarah going and start a trend.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..