Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-11-2011, 02:27   #46
Senior Member+

Re: Accrington should have a museum

Mmmm, wondering now if perhaps it might be better if we call ourself "Accrington & District", rather than Hyndburn, but, we may take a vote on it next Mon.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-11-2011, 19:02   #47
Senior Member+

RADIO LANCASHIRE

Hi, one of our "Museum" members has managed to get a "slot" on Radio Lancashire, tomorrow (NOV 28TH) - on the John Gillmore show.
It will be on at 3.00 pm

Please have a listen to it.
Old 26-01-2012, 13:27   #48
Senior Member+

Just wanted to share with you a piece of good news – although we may have appeared to have been ‘quiet’ since we last communicated in November, we have in fact been hard at work.

We have visited other heritage museums which have been started by ‘enthusiasts’ like ourselves, one of which was formed in the 1970’s and is still going strong. (Whitworth Museum, you should go, its marvellous! Only opens Tues 7.30-9.30 and Sat afternoons!) We have met with members of the committee of the latter who have helped us and answered some of our many tough questions with honest, and often tough, answers.

We have, since 11.00am today, been offered two units on the balcony of Accrington Market Hall, in what used to be Tilly’s Treats and the vacant unit next door. We hope to ‘open our doors’ to the public by end of Feb, or perhaps beg March. In the meantime we need to share this good news with our online supporters and would like to appeal to the public for anything they have dating up to the 1980s that they are willing to loan/donate to us to exhibit.

So, if you have anything in your cupboard, cellars, that COULD be of interest to us, and you dont want it, please remember us!

More details will follow as we have them.

Thanks
Old 26-01-2012, 13:41   #49
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Just wanted to share with you a piece of good news – although we may have appeared to have been ‘quiet’ since we last communicated in November, we have in fact been hard at work.

We have visited other heritage museums which have been started by ‘enthusiasts’ like ourselves, one of which was formed in the 1970’s and is still going strong. (Whitworth Museum, you should go, its marvellous! Only opens Tues 7.30-9.30 and Sat afternoons!) We have met with members of the committee of the latter who have helped us and answered some of our many tough questions with honest, and often tough, answers.

We have, since 11.00am today, been offered two units on the balcony of Accrington Market Hall, in what used to be Tilly’s Treats and the vacant unit next door. We hope to ‘open our doors’ to the public by end of Feb, or perhaps beg March. In the meantime we need to share this good news with our online supporters and would like to appeal to the public for anything they have dating up to the 1980s that they are willing to loan/donate to us to exhibit.

So, if you have anything in your cupboard, cellars, that COULD be of interest to us, and you dont want it, please remember us!

More details will follow as we have them.

Thanks
If you are going to ask people to loan things for exibition, then you will need security when those items are on display, also written agreements, and insurance against damage or theft, have you got funding for that.
Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 13:57   #50
Senior Member+

I will find some odds and sods.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 18:47   #51
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
tha'd make a belting museum piece, folk wuld come from miles around, to see thee stuffed in a corner.
Retlaw
Old 26-01-2012, 19:17   #52
Senior Member+

Moan, moan, moan! Retlaw the moaner. There's me, all excited about our news, and yet you, my so called buddy, have to spoil my
excitement! Shame on you Retlaw! Shame on you!
OK then, I will re-word it: If anyone has any items from times past, which they would like to DONATE to us, we would be pleased to received or could collect possibly. There! That suit you?
Old 26-01-2012, 19:19   #53
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Thank you Mr Dobson
Old 26-01-2012, 19:23   #54
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
tha'd make a belting museum piece, folk wuld come from miles around, to see thee stuffed in a corner.
Retlaw
You are cheeky Retlaw! I am lost for words!
Attached Images
File Type: gif I give up.gif (10.9 KB, 5 views)
Old 26-01-2012, 19:48   #55
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Moan, moan, moan! Retlaw the moaner. There's me, all excited about our news, and yet you, my so called buddy, have to spoil my
excitement! Shame on you Retlaw! Shame on you!
OK then, I will re-word it: If anyone has any items from times past, which they would like to DONATE to us, we would be pleased to received or could collect possibly. There! That suit you?
There's you going off 1/2 cocked again, put your brain in gear, all I'm doing is hghlighting one of the pitfalls of running a museum.
Do you know the insurance value of the Pals V.C., when it went on display at the Howarth in 2006,
70 grand, I went with Jennie to Fulwood to collect it, (its now worth 100 grand easy, because off its connection with the 11th East Lancs). I was in the 2nd car, in case she had an accident, or breakdown, it could be retrieved, before it got nicked.
You could get a lot of offers of short of long term loans, would you be prepared, insurance wise.
Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 26-01-2012 at 19:52.
Old 26-01-2012, 21:16   #56
Senior Member+

It's true - there's no odder sod than Retlaw.

There is sense in what he is saying, that there are a lot of pitfalls and difficulties in mounting an exhibition. I have been a museum curator and were it not for the professional help I got from the county museum people I would have been up the creek without a paddle.
Old 26-01-2012, 23:33   #57
Give, give, give member

That's fantastic news!

It's a crime a town with such an important history, doesn't have some sort of museum, to record and celebrate that history.

Given the economic climate it's a triumph this is getting off the ground.

Although what's happened is probably down to the hard work of a group of people, really this is down to the vision, and steely determination of one person.

Bloomin' well done Atarah.

What you've achieved, through grit, and a refusal to be fobbed off, is heroic in my eyes.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 06:37   #58
Senior Member+

They don't call her Atarah the Attacker for nowt.
Old 27-01-2012, 07:42   #59

Atarah I have 2 sets of Display Boards which if you ever want to use you are quite welcome to do so for exhibitions.

Will also keep my eyes open for "Exhibits" for you
anzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 09:44   #60
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Good un Atarah, sadly i have nowt to donate, Had a few things,but gave em when i moved to spain.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..