Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2012, 15:50   #76
Give, give, give member

Re: Accrington should have a museum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Two forthcoming events:

GRAND OFFICIAL OPENING of Hyndburn Heritage Museum by The Mayor of Hyndburn Cllr Colette McCormack at The Market Hall Accrington on Saturday 7th April 2012 at 11:00am – Please come along and give your support.

and ....... Back by popular demand - Wednesday 25th April 2012: An Audience with Frank Watson ‘The Changing Face of Accrington Part 2 – The War Years’ – A lantern lecture followed by a Lancashire ‘Pie and Peas’ supper in The Hospitality Suite at Accrington Stanley, Livingstone Road, Accrington, BB5 5BX. 7:30pm Kick-off.
TICKETS ON SALE NOW at Town Hall £5.00 per person including supper. £4.00 for concessions inc students.
Went to see the museum displays today, and was thrilled to see so many people there looking at the things exhibited, even after three, when we were there.

Really interesting stuff about Accy in the war, and lots of more general things, showing how people used to live.

Very nice, friendly people, some of whom were dressed in period costume, including a very striking Land Girl, who were kept very busy talking to people about the exhibits.

Was told what's on show is but a small part of what's in the collection. So new exhibits will be shown in the future.

Accrington is a town with a proud history, which deserves some sort of museum to show off the many interesting things it has.

Thankfully people will now have somewhere to donate things of interest to Accrington, which may otherwise have been sent to the tip.

Congratulations to all who have worked hard to make this happen, and well done to Hyndburn B.C. for offering their full support, so Accrington once again has some sort of museum.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-04-2012, 17:11   #77
Give, give, give member

Although not directly involved now, none of what's there today, would exist without the vision of one ballsy gal.

Whose dream, and steely determination, delving, and probing, started the whole ball rolling.

Atarah I salute you.

What we have, is there, in no small part, thanks to you.

Old 07-04-2012, 17:23   #78
Give, give, give member

There are lots of things that will probably be shown at a future date, which will hopefully be of interest.

I was lucky enough to be taken by Atarah, on one of her early reccies, and was thrilled to see lots of things relating to the Peel Institute/Town Hall.

Beautiful, hand coloured drawings and plans, and lots of original samples, such as mosaics, before the final designs were commissioned for the building.

Fascinating stuff, which deserves to be properly curated, and seen by the public.

Old 07-04-2012, 22:34   #79
Resting in Peace

Yes it was a good day in the market today... here is pic of Heather in Victorian Dress next to our Victorian Flower Cart ....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg heathervic.jpg (582.4 KB, 32 views)
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:39   #80
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie View Post
Yes it was a good day in the market today... here is pic of Heather in Victorian Dress next to our Victorian Flower Cart ....
Good. It did seem busier than usual.

Be a bonus if the actual businesses in there benefit from an increased foot-fall.

Old 10-04-2012, 00:26   #81
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Brilliant thinking Rindi, and Retlaw could be the first exhibit

You'd have to be in there as a stuffed relic from the past!
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 15:58   #82
Senior Member+

The "Museum in the Market" have now some official opening times. As ! speak, they are certainly hoping to be in the Market Hall until the end of June.
The opening hours are as follows:-

DOWNSTAIRS (to the rear of the Market Hall)
TUES 10.00am - 4.00pm
FRI 10.00am - 4.00pm
SAT 10.00am - 4.00pm

UPSTAIRS - the two balcony units

FRI 10.00am - 4.00pm
SAT 10.00am - 4.00pm

CAN I JUST SAY IT WAS BRILLIANT TO MEET MOBERTOL TODAY AT THE MUSEUM. Hope you have a good visit to your old area.

Last edited by Atarah; 17-04-2012 at 16:05.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 16:11   #83
Senior Member+

Back by popular demand

“An Audience with Frank Watson ‘The Changing Face of Accrington Part 2 – The War Years’”.

This will be held on Wed 25th April at Accrington Stanley (Hospitality Suite) with a 7:30pm kick off. As before, the
film show, or lantern lecture, will be followed by a Lancashire Pie and Peas supper.

Tickets are priced at £5.00 with concession and student tickets at £4.00 and are on sale from Brian and Carol Hodgeson at Victoriana Tea Rooms, Abbey Street, Accrington, as well as the Town Hall, Accrington and Hyndburn Enterprise Trust in the Market Hall (balcony).

We would love to see you there. A good night is promised!
Old 17-04-2012, 23:40   #84
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
The "Museum in the Market" have now some official opening times. As ! speak, they are certainly hoping to be in the Market Hall until the end of June.
The opening hours are as follows:-

DOWNSTAIRS (to the rear of the Market Hall)
TUES 10.00am - 4.00pm
FRI 10.00am - 4.00pm
SAT 10.00am - 4.00pm

UPSTAIRS - the two balcony units

FRI 10.00am - 4.00pm
SAT 10.00am - 4.00pm

CAN I JUST SAY IT WAS BRILLIANT TO MEET MOBERTOL TODAY AT THE MUSEUM. Hope you have a good visit to your old area.
Thanks Atarah -it was lovely to meet you too (and Tracy). Hope everyone will come along to sign the petition which will help you to keep open and encourage people to have a wander through the Market Hall more often.
Will try to catch you again Friday and bring my friends to add their signatures too.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2012, 18:22   #85
Senior Member+

There is to be a public meeting regarding Hyndburn Heritage Museum, when some "exciting news will be announced" - at The Peel Park Hotel, Turkey Street, Accrington, on MONDAY 26th November, 2012 at 7.15pm for a 7.30pm start.
Old 24-11-2012, 07:53   #86
Senior Member+

MONDAY 26th NOVEMBER 2012
Venue - Peel Park Hotel, Turkey Street, Accrington

Message from the Museum Group

Thank you for supporting our campaign to have a community museum in Hyndburn.

We are holding a public meeting and have some very exciting news to share with everyone.

Come along and find out more: The Peel Park Hotel on 26th November 2012 at 7:30pm
Old 18-01-2013, 21:23   #87
Senior Member+

The Museum in the Market in Accrington Market Hall are to have an "old chemists shop" display, thanks to one of their members who is very handy at "creating things" - if anyone has any chemists type items to either donate or loan, that would be brilliant. The stall is open from 10am until 4pm on Market Days and welcomes any new interest in their Museum.
Old 19-01-2013, 09:09   #88
Senior Member+

In recent times I have mentioned that there was a Marshall St up by the hospital and that its name was changed in the 1930s. There is a Marshall St in Huncoat. I think the connection with both is the owner of the land, Rev Charles Whitaker of Simonstone Hall. I am enquiring as to who Mr Marshall was.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 13:08   #89
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
In recent times I have mentioned that there was a Marshall St up by the hospital and that its name was changed in the 1930s. There is a Marshall St in Huncoat. I think the connection with both is the owner of the land, Rev Charles Whitaker of Simonstone Hall. I am enquiring as to who Mr Marshall was.

OOOps - in the wrong thread. I have a small tin, earmarked for you Atarah, in my pocket - Venoplast Medicated Dressings, made in St Helens. This is where Beecham's productrs were made.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2013, 18:26   #90
Senior Member+

HI, please remember, if you have any items with a bit of history to them, and you dont want to throw them away, please remember the Museum in the Market would love to see them with a view to "acquiring them" :-)
cashman and magpie like this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..