Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By Bob Dobson
  • 1 Post By Bob Dobson
  • 1 Post By Balbus

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-04-2013, 20:52   #1
Senior Member+

Accrington through the 19th Century - new book

In 1925-7, a series of 100 weekly articles appeared in the Observer under the heading of 'Accrington A Century Ago' They were written by the editor, Richard Crossley, and his pal, historian/author Richard Ainsworth and covered many topics, mentioned many people and visited many places in the town and the outlying district. Some years ago, Robert Cunliffe, descended from Accrington stock and then living in the town, typed them out and stored them on his computer. He has now published them in book form and added some photos. It is a 300-page paperback which (hopefully) will soon be on sale in the library and is now in the tourism office in the town hall, as well as in Pam's Book End shop in Gt Harwood and at Robert's 'Silver Lining' gift stall in Blackburn Market.

It is my opinion that this is the best book on the general history of the town to be published in the last 80years. It doesn't have an index, but the contents page gives a good indication of the contents of each 'chapter'. It covers (approx.) 1814-1914.

Details from Robert :- [email protected] The book should be getting a mention in the Observer and Telegraph very soon.
cashman, Stumped, Balbus and 1 others like this.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-04-2013, 09:37   #2

Re: Accrington through the 19th Century - new book

Available on ebay too (link) via the author. Might have to make a purchase with such a good recommendation.
Pudwoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 18:43   #3
Senior Member+

If you order from the author/publisher, you will be notified of the next Accrington book he will be publishing. On request, he will sign it for you.
mobertol likes this.
Old 22-04-2013, 22:09   #4
Senior Member+

I have been told that there is a hiccup with the library stocking it , but the Town Hall have them. Expect to see summat in the papers in the coming week, and summat in The Acorn magazine in May.
Old 23-04-2013, 19:08   #5
Senior Member+

I have sent emails out to many in my address book with an attachment which cannot be read. If this applies to you - come back to me.
Old 28-04-2013, 07:58   #6
Senior Member+

Robert Cunliffe tells me that the library appear to be stopping selling books, but are giving it further thought. Don't hold your breath on that. However, the Tourism Office in the Town Hall ARE selling it , also the Heritage Centre in the Market Hall. Nothing on it yet in the Observer or Telegraph. I have had several emails expressing satisfaction with it.
Old 18-01-2016, 13:10   #7
Full Member+

Is this book still available?

http://www.studiosoft.co.uk

Family History - Can you help to fill in the gaps? - http://www.hodgkinsonclark.co.uk
Hodgkinson, Clark, Baxter, Gardner, Spilman, Ward, Lofthouse, Fowler, Westwell
Morecambe Ex Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 13:58   #8
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
In 1925-7, a series of 100 weekly articles appeared in the Observer under the heading of 'Accrington A Century Ago' They were written by the editor, Richard Crossley, and his pal, historian/author Richard Ainsworth and covered many topics, mentioned many people and visited many places in the town and the outlying district. Some years ago, Robert Cunliffe, descended from Accrington stock and then living in the town, typed them out and stored them on his computer. He has now published them in book form and added some photos. It is a 300-page paperback which (hopefully) will soon be on sale in the library and is now in the tourism office in the town hall, as well as in Pam's Book End shop in Gt Harwood and at Robert's 'Silver Lining' gift stall in Blackburn Market.

It is my opinion that this is the best book on the general history of the town to be published in the last 80years. It doesn't have an index, but the contents page gives a good indication of the contents of each 'chapter'. It covers (approx.) 1814-1914.

Details from Robert :- [email protected] The book should be getting a mention in the Observer and Telegraph very soon.
Higher Dobbo.
Just seen this thread about Acc a century ago. I copied a few articles from those Observers yonks ago, and started checking some of those stories and tales, you wouldn't believe the errors when checked against the census returns, and historical documents, which you know I have quite a few. Typical of some of them articles, why let the truth get in the way of a good story, especiually Ainsworth's writings, and more so his Old Homesteads he even contradicts him self several time in that, and I've never found any documentation down at Kew Record Office, to verify any of those old homestead tales, and he really drops some clangers when he gets to th Alma Inn.

Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 14:14   #9
Senior Member+

Morecambe Ex-Pat. I am sure it is available - drop a line to Robert - post No1

I am sure that Retlaw is correct that many erro0rs have appeared as facts in old newspapers.
Old 18-01-2016, 19:44   #10

Or new newspapers!
Bob Dobson likes this.
Balbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 17:44   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
I have been told that there is a hiccup with the library stocking it , but the Town Hall have them. Expect to see summat in the papers in the coming week, and summat in The Acorn magazine in May.
We had a trip to Accrington yesterday and if the book is available at the Town Hall perhaps someone should tell the Town Hall to save anyone else a wasted journey.
kaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 20:08   #12
Senior Member+

Kaff- are you saying that the Town Hal have not got them ?- message me your email address and I will put you in touch with the book's publisher.
Old 04-03-2016, 20:16   #13
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaff View Post
We had a trip to Accrington yesterday and if the book is available at the Town Hall perhaps someone should tell the Town Hall to save anyone else a wasted journey.
The book was privately published in 2013 and the Town Hall and Heritage Museum were selling them. When the print run ran out they no longer sold them. The book is still available on Amazon and on Lulu.com
Rob1912 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..