Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-03-2010, 16:51   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Accrington's 'Little Italy?'

Whilst I feel sure that sm counsell will realise it, my use of constipation instead of concentration camp was an attempt at humour. Looking at Atarah's posting, I cannot see there being an Italian called Brown.(Unless he was really Luigo Bruno) I think he sold Italian style ice cream. I have heard it said that his ice cream took some licking.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-03-2010, 18:58   #17

I did think you were trying to be humorous Bob, perhaps I just hoped there was a funny story somewhere.
As regards the names of Italians that emigrated for example to the USA, perhaps we should remember that usually the people that emigrated were more than often extremely poor, and in many cases, unable to read or write. On arrival, they were asked not only their names, but also the spelling!.
This is the reason that many Italians in England have a different name because it was left up to the clerk to decipher their 'Italian' names. Perhaps Mr. Luigi Bruno knew the translations for a few colours ( Bruno = Brown), so he had fewer problems!
I've heard of Italians called 'Maffei' that was then written as 'Maffia' ( you can imagine the problems!!) and it has taken a long time to correct this mistake made many years ago!!
sm_counsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 18:48   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Don't you mean Bert Scott- that lovely tall slim winger I had a girly crush on at the time

Yes, I'm sure that you're right, seeing the name Bert in print has jogged my memory and, yes, he played on the wing. And it's obviously brought back memories for you which I hope are not too painful...
davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2010, 04:57   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Distant memory - a Joe Bacigalupo, married to the daughter of Nellie Renshaw - lived on Countess St I think and at one time in Fielding Lane, way up the top.
I had a great great uncle named Joe Bacigalupo. He died when I was only little though. Always been told that side of the family is from Genoa.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2010, 19:48   #20
Senior Member+

Accrington's 'Little Italy?'

For Bob Dobson - oh yeah of little faith! Shame on you, doubting me! Its a bit blurred, sorry, but you can just make out the name Louis Brown, Ice cream dealer in Warner Street.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1891 census Louis brown1.jpg (186.5 KB, 44 views)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2011, 00:25   #21

This is an amazing find for me thank you Atarah for posting that census, Louis Brown was my Great Grandfather and he was an Ice Cream dealer who eventually had places in Burnley and Nelson also. I was a baby when he died and I believe he lived to 101, his daughter, Ada, also on this census lived to 93 and I visited her many times at 114 Dowry Street where she lived with her daughter, Josephine, for many years. They are all buried in Accrington cemetary. Legend has it that when Louis Brown retired he gave all of his businesses to his employees. I actually think his real name was Luigi Capigrossi but am not 100% sure on that.
go2riamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2011, 06:13   #22
Senior Member+

Hi go2riamb, have much more info on Louis Brown. Will pm you.
Atarah
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2011, 09:29   #23
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidf View Post
In the 1950s there was a Bacigalupo who had a barber shop on, I think, Richmond Hill Street near to its crossing with Ormerod Street.
Yes , my first barber , and he seemed to take ages .

In later years he opened up his business at the bottom of Warner St , across from the Warners Arms .

There was another , much younger , Bacigalupo who worked at the Sports Centre , teaching swimming .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2011, 16:07   #24

There was also one on Whalley Road in Clayton. He was forever going out to put bets on and watching horseracing so took ages to get a haircut.
claytonheath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2011, 20:56   #25
Senior Member+

Garindas' post(13) mentions a video about POWs in Oswaldtwistle and on the video I saw Mary Clarke. She was my best friends stepmother and told us about the locals having the POWs in their homes at Christmas. She said they all took turns to sing the carols of their homelands-English, German and I think Italian at one time. She said they all ended up in tears. When you think how small rations were after the war it was very generous of them, can't have been much to share.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 15:01   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith View Post
There was a lad barry bacigalupo attended the art school within the accrington grammer school round about 1949/50 lived in baxenden think he went on to the barrow print works as did most of the art students round about that
Barry Bacigalupo was/is my second cousin, his mother, Alice Mary Wood married Leo Bacigalupo in 1930 and she had ladies hairdresser's on Church Street, she died 1970..they lived Manchester Road Baxenden.....by coincidence my mother was also Alice Mary Wood, and she married a Cuddihy in 1931....two cousins ..same name....so it was confusing researching family history, but got all the documents now, so can confirm the above...but don't know, as yet, what happened to Barry
AccyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 18:22   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyGirl View Post
Barry Bacigalupo was/is my second cousin, his mother, Alice Mary Wood married Leo Bacigalupo in 1930 and she had ladies hairdresser's on Church Street, she died 1970..they lived Manchester Road Baxenden.....by coincidence my mother was also Alice Mary Wood, and she married a Cuddihy in 1931....two cousins ..same name....so it was confusing researching family history, but got all the documents now, so can confirm the above...but don't know, as yet, what happened to Barry
just found out Barry emigrated to Canada
AccyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 12:49   #28

Hi go2riamb, You say Louis Brown was your great grandfather. From who do you decsend as he was my gr gr grandfather. I have his marriage cert & Researching into his family as I am very interested in family history. Hope to hear from you soon
Tracy
tracyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 15:46   #29
God Member

Hadn't seen this thread before -interesting link to earlier thread about the concentration camp in Ossy.
There were several 3rd generation Italian's at junior school with me in Clayton -i remember the Di Mambro's and Philippini's, there was another girl called Lydia but i can't think of the surname...

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 16:23   #30
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Hadn't seen this thread before -interesting link to earlier thread about the concentration camp in Ossy.
There were several 3rd generation Italian's at junior school with me in Clayton -i remember the Di Mambro's and Philippini's, there was another girl called Lydia but i can't think of the surname...
Funny how things stick in your mind... I remember the surnames Di Mambro, Philippini and Bacigalupo when I was growing up, couldn't tell you why except I know Bacigalupo was a hairdresser. Probably the exotic sounds of the names made them memorable, but you are probably used to that by now mobertol.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..