Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-01-2012, 10:31   #46
Rest in Peace

Re: Accrington's 'Little Italy?'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
At Hapton Valley I worked with Marto Lepri, an Iti who lived in Ossie. Great sense of humour. Liked to catch rats with his hands. He died in the Hapton Valley explosion
c1960.
I worked at the valley Bob with the mechanisation team Peter Ashton,Keith Bracewell,Brian Barrett(yogi) installing new faces with the automated hydralic props.
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-01-2012, 11:17   #47
Mog

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
was later in 60s surely Bob?Seem to recall just before i left school which was early 63.

Hapton Valley or Happy valley as we called it. The explosion was 22/03/1962. I had just started at Bank Hall as trainee.
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 15:27   #48

I am also Louis' great-granddaughter, with my Granny being Ada from Dowry Street. My mum, Dolores Fiori, was her fifth daughter.

What's your name? I'm sure I must know you.
Angelinacapogrossi likes this.
sandraward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 15:36   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyann View Post
Hi go2riamb, You say Louis Brown was your great grandfather. From who do you decsend as he was my gr gr grandfather. I have his marriage cert & Researching into his family as I am very interested in family history. Hope to hear from you soon
Tracy
Hi Tracyann,

As Louis' great-granddaughter I have the oil paintings of him and his wife - Sarah Lever, plus a lot of family history, including official documents, including confirmation of his Italian nationality until 1918!
Old 29-01-2012, 07:02   #50

Hi Atarah,

Many thanks for replying. No need to send me anything.
I have seven or eight original press cuttings and his certificate of nationality from the Italain Consulate dated October 5 1918.

He never became a British citizen so UK pensions etc. were never possible, hence his continuing to work to a very ripe age - 100! I was told by my mum, a granddaughter, that he sold his business at the age of 80.

I have an ice cream recipe that could be his.

I also have the original oil paintings of him and his wife.
Atarah likes this.
Old 30-08-2014, 17:11   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyGirl View Post
Barry Bacigalupo was/is my second cousin, his mother, Alice Mary Wood married Leo Bacigalupo in 1930 and she had ladies hairdresser's on Church Street, she died 1970..they lived Manchester Road Baxenden.....by coincidence my mother was also Alice Mary Wood, and she married a Cuddihy in 1931....two cousins ..same name....so it was confusing researching family history, but got all the documents now, so can confirm the above...but don't know, as yet, what happened to Barry
Found this whilst researching my family history... at least we know what happened to him...seems he had an interesting life....
Barry Bacigalupo 1930 ~ 2005 Barry Bacigalupo, 74, died serenely at his home in Salt Lake City, Utah, with family and loved ones by his side on Friday, April 2, 2005. Barry was an only child; he was born September 03, 1930 in Accrington, Lancashire, England to Leo Bacigalupo and Alice Mary Wood. Barry attended art school in Accrington; he was a very talented artist and sculptor. In 1948, Barry and his parents emigrated from Southhampton England to Halifax, Canada on the ship Acquitania. They worked on a large farm in Ontario for two years as a part of their immigration agreement and eventually settled in British Columbia. In 1951, Barry married Jeanne E. Northgraves of Chilliwack, B.C., Canada; they had three children: Craig, Valerie and Brian. Barry worked as a salesman and continued his art studies. In the Fall of 1963, the family immigrated to S.L.C., Utah. Later divorced. Barry wed Alice Smokoff, who was also born in Lancashire, England. Barry and Alice lived in Sacramento where he worked for Subaru as the Regional Sales Manager. Barry and Alice later owned and operated BMW Marine on the Oakland Embarcadero. They spent much time sailing on San Francisco Bay. Barry loved to go deep-sea fishing at every opportunity. They returned to live in S.L.C. in 2000 where he continued to work as a contractor designing and building bunkhouses on National Wildlife Refuges. Barry was a car enthusiast; he loved Formula 1 racing, basketball and football. Survived by his loving wife Alice; children Craig (Anita) Bacigalupo, SLC; Valerie (Byron) Engh, San Diego, CA; Brian (Beth) Bacigalupo, SLC; grandchildren Andrea (Scott) Peterson, David, Robert, James, SLC; Erin, Katherine, Ryan, Erik, San Diego; Brayden, SLC; great-grandson Matthew L. Vincent Engh, San Diego; step children Thomas Smokoff, LeeAnn Smokoff, Pete Smokoff, all of S.L.C. A memorial Service will be held at 2:00 p.m. Saturday, April 16th at Calvary Baptist Church, 1090 S. State. In lieu of flowers, the family has requested that donations be made to The Road Home. The family would like to thank Dr. Keith Lane and Life Path Hospice for the loving care they provided to Barry and his family.
AccyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2015, 21:55   #52

I am Valerie (Bacigalupo) Engh, age 58, daughter of Barry Bacigalupo who died of pancreatic cancer on April 2, 2005. I was born in British Columbia, Canada and raised in Salt Lake City, Utah. I live in Los Angeles, CA; however, I was very fortunate to travel to England with my father Barry Bacigalupo, my husband and my two brothers (Craig and Brian Bacigalupo) for a treasured visit to see my father's beloved Baxenden. The trip took place approx. 7 years before my father died.
Atarah and rockinrobo like this.
Valerie Bacigalupo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2015, 23:13   #53

Dear Garinda, I am the daughter of the late Barry Bacigalupo and Horrace was/is my late father's Uncle Horrace. My father's parents are Leo and Alice (Wood) Bacigalupo. Leo was one of seven brothers. Horrace was my grandfather's younger brother, and my grandfather Leo and his brothers did own or manage several barber shops. I would be so very interested to read the article about Horrace which you linked to; however the link does not seem to work for me. Is there any way you can help me to find this article? Thank you so very much in advance!! Any other info that anyone can share about my English relatives is so greatly appreciated!

I was born in Canada but when I was 7 years old our family moved to Salt Lake City, Utah. At the age of 20 I married Ensign Byron R. Engh, U.S.N. who was soon to begin flight school training with the U.S. Navy in Florida and Texas. After becoming a pilot, my husband and I have lived in California and raised our family here. My father and his second wife, Alice, also lived in California for many years.

About seven years before my father Barry Bacigalupo passed away, my two brothers and I were very fortunate to be able to travel to England with my father in order to visit my father's beloved Baxenden, Accrington, and many places that he loved when he was growing up. It was a very sentimental and wonderful trip to learn of our family roots and I have many lovely photos taken during that trip. I'm only sorry that I was not able to connect with any of my English or Italian relatives at that time.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:56   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerry75 View Post
hi, my wifes grandad was joseph bacigalupo, from the accrington area. He had 6 brothers i think. His son was William Baxendale (changed name 1945, have papers) who married Pat Pusey in Ormskirk. My wifes parents. I think that makes her your distant cousin? And alos our 3 children. We live in old skelmersdale. Contact me if you want/have further details. Thanks
Oh, and all the family was from Geona, and Joes father, Bathmolew baciagalupo, walked over the alps with his wife, kids and 1 of his brothers to get to england. famous family story.
Hi, my name is Valerie (Bacigalupo) Engh. My paternal grandfather was/is Leo Bacigalupo, who was one of the seven Bacigalupo brothers. The seven brother's parents were Bartholomew Bacigalupo, born 20 Dec 1874 in New Accrington, Lanc. England, died 1940 and Ann Jane Walsh, born 15 Feb 1879 in Haslingden, Lanc., England, died May 1963. The Bacigalupo brothers names are, from eldest to youngest: 1.Bartholomew (Bart) 2.William (Bill) 3. Leo 4.Francis (Fran) 5. Albert 6. Joseph (Joe) 7. Horace I would love to connect with relatives and share information. My father, Barry Bacigalupo, was an only child and emigrated to Canada. I have never met any of my English or Italian relatives, (except for my Grandfather Leo and my Grandmother Alice Mary Wood), and I would really love to finally get in touch. You are correct about the story of Bartholomew walking across the Alps to get to England! I've heard that story many, many times from my father Barry and my grandfather Leo!

Last edited by Valerie Bacigalupo; 01-06-2015 at 05:03.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:40   #55

Valerie, you might be interested in a thread, 1st Barbers, in the nostalgia forum, or Questions & Answers forum, under heading Bagigalupo
Valerie Bacigalupo likes this.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 07:56   #56
Senior Member+

We seldom see Garinda on here, Valerie. I will tell him about your postings..
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 08:03   #57
Senior Member+

Valerie There is only one Bacigalupo ( J) in the local phone directory I shall send you a private message with the details. You can PM Garinda by clicking onto his name in a posting. A drop box allows you to send him one. He gets an email to notify him.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 10:53   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie Bacigalupo View Post
I am Valerie (Bacigalupo) Engh, age 58, daughter of Barry Bacigalupo who died of pancreatic cancer on April 2, 2005. I was born in British Columbia, Canada and raised in Salt Lake City, Utah. I live in Los Angeles, CA; however, I was very fortunate to travel to England with my father Barry Bacigalupo, my husband and my two brothers (Craig and Brian Bacigalupo) for a treasured visit to see my father's beloved Baxenden. The trip took place approx. 7 years before my father died.
how wonderful to connect with you Valerie.. we are related and I have replied to your message with family information. Well done Accrington Web...yet again reuniting family and friends.. thank you xx
Mick, cashman, Bob Dobson and 1 others like this.
AccyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 20:46   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
Valerie, you might be interested in a thread, 1st Barbers, in the nostalgia forum, or Questions & Answers forum, under heading Bagigalupo
I'll be sure to check that out right away! Thank you so very much!! Big Hugs!!! This is sooo exciting!!
Old 16-10-2017, 20:51   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Hi go2riamb, have much more info on Louis Brown. Will pm you.
Atarah
Hi Atarah , I am trying to find information about my great great grandfather
Luigi Bruno Capogrossi ( Louis Brown)
My father Joseph Blades remembers selling ice cream when he was a little boy from a cart with Louis in Accrington .
I do hope you can help me
Richard
Richard Blades is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..